Music suited to Fallout 3

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Doddsy

Music suited to Fallout 3

Post by Doddsy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:04 am

As I'm currently enjoying Fallout 3 - I think its one of the best games I've played in ages there is always so much to see and do! I've compiled a list of music tracks that I think would have been suited to this excellent RPG.

Doddsy DC FM 103.4 Playlist!

Memories Of Green - Vangelis
One More Kiss - Vangelis
The Wanderer - U2 feat Johnny Cash
The Order Of Death - PIL
Telstar - The Tornados
Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

JetSetWilly

Re: Music suited to Fallout 3

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Doddsy wrote:As I'm currently enjoying Fallout 3 - I think its one of the best games I've played in ages there is always so much to see and do! I've compiled a list of music tracks that I think would have been suited to this excellent RPG.

Doddsy DC FM 103.4 Playlist!

Memories Of Green - Vangelis
One More Kiss - Vangelis
The Wanderer - U2 feat Johnny Cash
The Order Of Death - PIL
Telstar - The Tornados
Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
Funnily enough, they played Telstar tonight on BBC Essex. Love that song. Anyway, my wasteland picks:

Knights of Cydonia - Muse
Blade Runner Theme - Vangelis
Message in a Bottle - The Police
Lick It UP - KISS
We Have All The Time In The World - Louie Armstrong
It's A Long Road (theme from First Blood) - Dan Hill
The Long & Winding Road, Hello Goodbye & Let It Be - The Beatles

Damn good thread this. MIght have to put those songs onto my 360 and play them as Im playing through the game.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Subject matter-wise, it would be hard to think of anything more appropriate than Krzysztof Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, but it's not a particularly pleasant listening experience.

Other than that, I reckon something similar to Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack for the original Planet of the Apes would be quite suitable. It's hardly easy listening, but the music does reflect the brutality, unsentimentality and (apparent) other-worldliness of the landscape, particularly when they first start to explore. It's a pretty severe type of music to be listening to whilst playing a game, but Fallout 3 deals with some fairly solemn subject matter!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

takesages

Post by takesages » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:42 pm

The Police?

Muse?

Way to ruin one of the best game soundtracks ever, doods.

I played Fallout 3 on the 360 in my first outing and then again on the PC. The PC version actually has an absolutely amazing mod called GNR: More Where That Came From which gives you 100 more tracks on the radio, most of which stick to the style of the original game while greatly increasing the amount of variety on the radio.

Anyone playing it on the PC should totally check that out!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:08 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:Subject matter-wise, it would be hard to think of anything more appropriate than Krzysztof Penderecki's Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, but it's not a particularly pleasant listening experience.
I just had a listen to that piece of music... not exactly gentle on the strings.. but given the subject matter I guess it's not supposed to be a gentle piece of music :shock:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:45 pm

Two Tribes - FGTH

Love Is a Battlefield - Penatar

(Dont) Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Eve Of Destruction - Barry McGuire

and of course Blowing In The Wind by the incomparable Bob Dylan
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 pm

I don't think you can beat the music that they already chose. I'd recommend sticking the 1920s Radio Network on for an almost limitless supply of the same kind of thing (which you can play as loud as you like without being noticed by Feral Ghouls).

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 pm

liveinabin wrote:I don't think you can beat the music that they already chose. I'd recommend sticking the 1920s Radio Network on for an almost limitless supply of the same kind of thing (which you can play as loud as you like without being noticed by Feral Ghouls).

Hey great site! Reminds me of the superb music track from Mafia too
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:04 am

liveinabin wrote:I don't think you can beat the music that they already chose. I'd recommend sticking the 1920s Radio Network on for an almost limitless supply of the same kind of thing (which you can play as loud as you like without being noticed by Feral Ghouls).
I agree that the music they chose fits the game brilliantly as its set in a 50's style. The Inkspots are a great choice and were originally chosen to accompany the Bladerunner film trailer.

But its nice to know that I think some songs would also work as well. My list was chosen as some were used in famous apocalyptic films.
Wonderful World is featured in 12 Monkeys
One More Kiss is featured in Bladerunner
and Order Of Death is featured in the film Hardware.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:32 am

It's Fallout 3 - Well the video is!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKGmvLn ... L&index=16