Championship Manager or Football Manager?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Championship Manager or Football Manager?

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Now that im finally getting my own lappy one of the first things im gonna do is invest in a life sapping footy sim. I havent owned one since champ manager 4 (which i wasnt that keen on tbh) and am aware the franchise has moved on since.

Whats everyones opinion since the franchise split? which is the better buy?

Cheers

Eat your nans pants

The Angry Jock

Re: Championship Manager or Football Manager?

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:01 pm

you've got 2 days to get CM10 for £2.51 from their site before it goes to full retail price.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:12 pm

Despite the fact I don't play them any more (far, far too many 'rags to riches' stories for there to be any kind of real managerial genius involved) FM is streets ahead of CM.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:13 pm

FM > CM
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks so far people. But can anyone give their reasons why they prefer FM over CM? I know i could just google the whole thing but i trust the people on here more than fanboy sites!

Eat your nans pants

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

In layman's terms the guys behind the original Championship Manager games (Sports Interactive - Paul & Oliver Collyer) left Eidos in 2004, took the source code from the CM games with them and rebranded the game as 'Football Manager' under a new publisher (Sega).

This left Eidos without a game and without a developer although they did have the right to the 'Championship Manager' name.

So, Football Manager is the better of the games. By an enormous distance. No competition, actually.

I still like pitching up on Championship Manager 97/98 from time to time and even have a 2009/2010 database update for it. Quite pathetic, really. :D
Into the Wonderful

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Ah I didn't quite read the original post which states you are aware of the franchise split.......5 minutes wasted there. Doh!

.......but in saying that there is the reason why Football Manager is superior.......the brains behind it are the same people who brought us the original CM games. I think it's hard to pinpoint why a game is better sometimes......it's like FIFA used to be appalling in comparison to PES but now the tables have arguably turned.

I suspect if the people behind making a game are more passionate about the subject title then this comes through to the final product over the competition.
Last edited by Britpop95 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Into the Wonderful

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

One of the last Champ Man games is free so gets my vote, as its not worth paying for any of them. Get a decent strategy game like Civ instead ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Sound advice which will help him out tenfold, Antiriad.

Should I buy Defender or R:Type?.......What was that, Street Fighter IV?

:wink:
Into the Wonderful

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 pm

FM is the greatest by far, but as FM is the original CM it's not a surprise.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Britpop95 wrote:Sound advice which will help him out tenfold, Antiriad.
I did try to find the link - I installed a free version for a mate and patched it up to current teams and players. Can't find it now. I listed it somewhere else in the forum recently. Is CM from just a few years ago really significantly different from new versions?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:00 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:you've got 2 days to get CM10 for £2.51 from their site before it goes to full retail price.
Thanks for the heads-up. I just visited their website but unfortunately my old(ish) PC doesn't match up to the minimum system specs required and they don't offer a Mac version. Oh well...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Britpop95 wrote:In layman's terms the guys behind the original Championship Manager games (Sports Interactive - Paul & Oliver Collyer) left Eidos in 2004, took the source code from the CM games with them and rebranded the game as 'Football Manager' under a new publisher (Sega).

This left Eidos without a game and without a developer although they did have the right to the 'Championship Manager' name.

So, Football Manager is the better of the games. By an enormous distance. No competition, actually.

I still like pitching up on Championship Manager 97/98 from time to time and even have a 2009/2010 database update for it. Quite pathetic, really. :D
My favourite was the 99/00 edition, might see if i can dig it out. Thanks everyone for the advice, looks like footy manager then.

Eat your nans pants

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:12 pm

I really lost interest after CM3. They overcomplicated it and made it less accessible.

Having a lot less spare time nowadays probably made a difference as well right enough.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:39 am

Player Manager