What machines did you want but couldn’t have?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

What machines did you want but couldn’t have?

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:59 am

For me from about 1988 and it was the Commodore Amiga 500, man I wanted one of these machines so bad. My parents bought me a C64 when I was about nine and I was very happy with it, but the Amiga was a thing of beauty to me. It was about this time when Zzap 64 started to include Amiga articles and game reviews. The graphics on the Amiga looked so good it would have been a dream machine to own at the time.

In about 1992 I finally went 16 bit and sold my C64. But, it wasn’t an Amiga; it was a Sega Mega Drive. Moving from tape loading that could take up to 10 minutes to cartridges that loaded instantly was amazing; it was like owning your own arcade machine at home!

Just over two years later I became bored of my MD, not because it wasn’t any good, or because of the new machines on the horizon, no, it was because my brother’s mate was selling an Amiga! The Mega Drive was expensive and I only ever bought seven games for it. This second hand Amiga had about 60 odd games and a ton of demo discs. It wasn’t the A1200 though; it was an Amiga 500+. Still, it was a great machine and it kept me going until I bought a 486 PC in 1996.

These days I’m a bit of a nutter when it comes to games machines. I own an Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, DS, original Xbox and a PC that I built myself.

harlequ1n

Re: What machines did you want but couldn’t have?

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 am

Cool topic, reminded me of my childhood when all I got was a "Chinese" NES with tons of preloaded games and all I wanted was a SNES! Then my cousin got a PlayStation for his birthday and I went nuts trying to convince my parents to get me one also... never happened.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 am

I always wanted a NES, but my parents wouldn't go for it. Maybe because they saw this awesome piece of investigative journalism?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:37 am

I always wanted a Neo Geo when I was younger for KOF 94, King of the Monsters 2 and Samurai Shodown and it was of course far to much for me to afford back in the 90's. It was the very first thing I bought when I got a job :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 am

MattyC64c wrote:For me from about 1988 and it was the Commodore Amiga 500, man I wanted one of these machines so bad. My parents bought me a C64 when I was about nine and I was very happy with it, but the Amiga was a thing of beauty to me.
Oh god yes... I had a Speccy 128k +3 and a couple of mates had A500s with their massive 512KB RAM. With an Amiga I could RULE THE WORLD!

Took ages to convince the parents to shell out, but I was ecstatic when they did, and the A500 and A1200 turned me into the geek I am today.

Zombi

Post by Zombi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:51 am

Neo-geo all the way. And i still can't have one. :x

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:58 am

The systems I owned throughout my childhood were a Spectrum 48k+, ST and Lynx. In my early 20s as a student I bought a GameBoy and PlayStation.
Since those days I've gone a little crazy amassing the remainder of the systems listed in my signature and am also currently waiting to receive a Gizmondo. Other than Dreamcast and the systems after it I guess the systems I've bought as an adult that I "couldn't have" but really wanted as a child would be Jaguar, Mega Drive, PC Engine and probably Nomad too. I think I'm pretty much done insofar as wanting to purchase any more... although owning a supergun setup is tempting.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thl

Post by thl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 am

It's got to be the Mega Drive as I wanted to move on from the 8-bit era. Games such as Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic The Hedgehog and Strider had me drawn into the scene with so much excitement. Unfortunately due to that high price tag, me and my brothers couldn't afford it. Instead we're still playing on the Master System while saving up for the Amiga 1200 and SNES.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:25 pm

I've owned loads of machines in my life. In the 8 bit era i owned an atari 800xl first ( which broke i think) and then a cpc 464. After borrowing my mates c64 i desperately wanted to own one but never did. Much better than the 464 imo.

As for the 8 bit consoles, first was a sms and then the almighty engine. I wanted for nothing after that! But the lack of official support for the engine made it hard to get the games as i liked to try before i bought. This made me want the MD eventually. As it had gained such popularity with my mates and everyone was swapping games etc.

My mom gave in eventually and i got my wish. About which time some of my other pals got into the st/amiga. Needless to say i didnt even ask for either! I needed the snes when that came out but, again, as it was a no no with my mom i had to work my summer hols and save up for it.

That made me appreciate the snes more than any other machine. As for all the others, nothing that comes out now will slip under my radar if i dont want it to. I''l just ask the wife nicely :D .

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:07 pm

I desperately wanted an Atari VCS as a child. I've still never owned one, but I don't mind. Iconic as it was, I'm happy with emulation.

Not long after that I fell in love with a Vectrex. Sadly, she ran off with someone else and it was 20 years before I'd meet another. I keep her locked in the spare bedroom.

There's something special about a Vectrex that still impresses even now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:38 pm

PC Engine.
At the time I had the Amiga 500, and while was very happy with it, still I have friends into console gaming.
With them I could play SNES, Mega Drive and PC-Engine from time to time.
PC Engine was the particular one I would have wanted as my own. Because of the fact that it never had an official distribution in Europe (not mentioning Italy), it proved to difficoult and expensive for me to try and get one.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:57 pm

after my speccy+ died i yearned for an atari st, but my parents said it was too expensive and bought me a hi-fi instead. I made sure I played the prodigy REALLY loud to express my disappointment. :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Tariq

Post by Tariq » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:26 pm

I was a C64 and Amiga man myself but in the late 80s I had a major thing for the Acorn Archimedes. It just looked so damn beautiful and powerful to me at the time but I never got round to buying one. May attempt to pick one up on eBay one of these days though.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:58 pm

The cool thing with the Amiga was the strategy titles. It was great to finally play Civilization, Populous, Powermonger etc.

Just before I got hold of the Amiga, another friend of mine showed me his PC. It was about 1993 and his parents had purchased a strange PC/Mega Drive machine made by Amstrad, 'Mega PC' I think it was called. It was a 386 type machine, I think it had 1MB of ram, but I'm not sure of the CPU speed, although I guess it was about 25MHz (pretty fast at the time).
Funnily enough I don’t remember him ever playing a MD game on it, so what was the point? Anyway, I did get to see some pretty amazing 3D games on that PC. One of them was Star Wars Xwing and I was quite simply blown away.

So, by the time I got hold of an Amiga 500+, I next wanted PC real bad. In 1994 another friend of mine had a 486. It was a 486 SX25 (a 25MHz 486 basically). It had about 4MB of ram and this machine introduced me to Wolfenstein 3D and Doom II, he also had Star Wars Tie Fighter, wow, wow, wow!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:36 pm

I also wanted an Atari 2600 as a kid, even when we had a C64. My neighbour had one, and I loved playing Frostbite on it. To be honest, Frostbite looked a lot better than most early C64 games!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)