Favourite Retro Mag?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Favourite Retro Mag

Nintendo Magazine System
No votes
Mean Machines Sega
3%
Mean Machines
5%
Super Play
13%
C+VG
8%
Zzap 64
17%
Crash
20%
EGM
No votes
Amstrad Action
5%
Other
28%

Total votes: 60

Shinobi

Re: Favourite Retro Mag?

Post by Shinobi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:32 pm

crusto wrote:
bensonrad wrote:C&VG for me from around 1987 through til mid 90's was my fav, I have nearly every issue now from it full run, NMS (have most issues up to 1998) and Mean Machines (have full run) were also big favourites for me in 2nd place, then Super Play (have full run) & Total (vitually the full run now).

I did used to buy CU Amiga every month back in the day, but cover disc contents could lure me to other publications :lol:

I think I liked C&VG the best, purely as it was multi format and had a bit of everything.
Have you got the Complete Guide to Consoles? I think there were 4 of them, thats how many ive got anyway. I think that they did a Complete guide to megadrive as well. Which I owned but have somehow lost.

They make for a brilliant read.
If I smile at you will you sell me them :P I only knew the did three I owned the Yellow Red and Blue covers
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Official PlayStation Magazine as it was the only one I used to read. Really liked that mag, but it lost it's appeal when the PS2 came along. Went a bit too biased for my liking.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:08 pm

ZZap was the best, Crash was also good and I always liked The One,

however,

it's only fair to mention the legendary Digitiser (now Game Central), for it's brilliant daily dose of gaming.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Zzap! for me too 8) though I thought, for a very brief moment, about voting for Mean Machines.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Out of that list, it's Amstrad Action.
But, there's no 16-bit mags on there.
My fav retro mag of all time was CU Amiga, closely followed by Amiga User International and Amiga Format.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Shinobi wrote:
crusto wrote:
bensonrad wrote:C&VG for me from around 1987 through til mid 90's was my fav, I have nearly every issue now from it full run, NMS (have most issues up to 1998) and Mean Machines (have full run) were also big favourites for me in 2nd place, then Super Play (have full run) & Total (vitually the full run now).

I did used to buy CU Amiga every month back in the day, but cover disc contents could lure me to other publications :lol:

I think I liked C&VG the best, purely as it was multi format and had a bit of everything.
Have you got the Complete Guide to Consoles? I think there were 4 of them, thats how many ive got anyway. I think that they did a Complete guide to megadrive as well. Which I owned but have somehow lost.

They make for a brilliant read.
If I smile at you will you sell me them :P I only knew the did three I owned the Yellow Red and Blue covers
Volume 4 was dark blue mate, just as good as the others. Unfortunately, even if you smile, they are priceless to me. Waaaay too much sentimental value. Out of interest, are they sought after then cos I dont really hear much about them in collectors terms.

When I get my new lappy up and running ill send you a photo of vol 4 if you want.

Eat your nans pants

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Well I was bidding on the first three Complete Guide to Consoles on Ebay and they sold for £90 - Never seen them on there again since.. I used to own the Yellow one as it had Atari 2600 reviews in there my friend has all three but he won't get rid of them either:( There where Computer and Video Game spin offs as Mean Machines I believe was only a few pages back than and wrote by Tony Tauasaki.. THe Dark Blue one I've never saw in the wild
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:39 pm

The Complete Guide mags have sold well on ebay in the past. I recall an auction 2-3 years ago where someone bought the first issue for £30+. It's difficult to know why it sold so well. I suspect it was the combination of the prototype shots of various games and the role of the mag series as the missing link between C&VG and Mean Machines. Alternatively, it could simply be the fact that it had 'complete guide' in the title and was thought to be definitive.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:28 pm

Crash 100%

Zzap was a very good magazine but obviously Crash was the original. Without Crash there wouldnt have been a Zzap

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:30 pm

Picking a favourite? I suspect i'm taking the question rather too seriously but I can't help thinking that it would depend entirely on what era we were knocking about in.

In saying all that, publications that I hold a rather special nostalgic place for in my heart are as follows:

Games-X
Zero
The One ST/Amiga
Amstrad Action
C+VG
Edge
Into the Wonderful

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:04 pm

You're only going to let us choose 1??
Blimey... Of the ones I read:

CVG went downhill post Julian Rignall in my opinion so that's out.

Super Play slowly shifted its focus away from import games over time which was the big attraction. Was consistently good though...

Nintendo Magazine System... I assume you're talking about the UK version as Australia had one too. Didn't read enough of the UK version & the Australian one again got crappier over time.

Amstrad Action was great but early issues bore me senseless. Maybe that's a sign of the times, as a lot of 80s magazines were structured that way in comparison...

So Super Play or AA... eenie meenie miney...

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 am

I used to read:

Games Master
Mean Machines
Game Boy Action
Amstrad Action
CVG

I stopped buying them when the 16 bit era came to an end because I thought the quality of the content nosedived.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

theMot

Post by theMot » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:01 am

Super Play, no doubt about it.

Before that all i had read was things like Sega Power and CU Amiga bit of C&VG an MEAN MACHINES too which was very good. Super Play was really different compared to all the other mags out at the time, it's focus on import games and championing of RPG's really opened my eyes to a whole new world of gaming i would have never otherwise discovered.

It would be good for Retro Gamer to do a feature on one of the old zines every month, kind of like what they do with the developer look back feature...

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 am

Shinobi wrote:Well I was bidding on the first three Complete Guide to Consoles on Ebay and they sold for £90 - Never seen them on there again since.. I used to own the Yellow one as it had Atari 2600 reviews in there my friend has all three but he won't get rid of them either:( There where Computer and Video Game spin offs as Mean Machines I believe was only a few pages back than and wrote by Tony Tauasaki.. THe Dark Blue one I've never saw in the wild
I have a blue one, but its called the Complete guide to Sega I think, it has the CVG logo on it and is more like a book than a mag.

I did see those 3 pop up on ebay, must have been about 4 months ago, they sold at around £35 in total, much that I'd fancy them all for my collection, I aim to get the actual mags first, and like to get things at bargin prices :lol: Looking at my chart the 260 issues I have of CVG cost me in total £44.45, I reckon its the final 17 issues I need thats going to cost me.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Tariq

Post by Tariq » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 am

ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment) and Commodore User for me. Subscribed to both and found a photo of myself the other day in an incredibly garish CU t-shirt (free gift with subscription) circa 1988. Great memories of those mags :-)