Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
drewbar
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:54 pm

Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by drewbar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:48 pm

Just saw this in this morning's paper:

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/g ... -f3zn.html
Image

User avatar
lexiomiguel
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 am
Location: U.S.A.'s East Coast

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by lexiomiguel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm

That's crazy! Over 3 million :shock:

User avatar
FlyHighKid
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by FlyHighKid » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm not usually too fond of individuals that break world records... It's 99% of the time a bunch of nerds who think they're special because they can mash buttons faster than people who have lives.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 am

Of course it is. That's all there is to breaking these records, mashing buttons faster, there's no practice or skill involved :roll:

Well done that man. A significant increase on the old record and a genuine classic game. And I'm willing to bet very little mashing was involved.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
skylarking
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:57 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by skylarking » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:58 am

Posting on a retro gaming forum and attacking people for being 'nerds'? :?
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:57 am

I want a World Record. Where can I find out which ones are available to beat?

Edit: ahha! http://gamers.guinnessworldrecords.com/setarecord.aspx (mummy will be so proud ;) )

User avatar
FlyHighKid
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by FlyHighKid » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:52 am

Well, sorry for my controversial post, but even if there IS a lot of skill involved, is in my opinion not very high-ranking. Sorry if I'm stirring up some sort of flame war here, that's not what I intended.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26859
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:not very high-ranking.
How can you claim that 'world record breaking, number 1 in the world' isn't 'high-ranking'? Its as high as anyone has every achieved.

It may not be comparable to 'cured smallpox' on the human endeavours chart, but in videogaming terms (which is all that really matters in context) its outstanding.

World record holders have lives too. You only perceive them otherwise as you're taking the view that there isn't anything else to them except the record.

Billy Mitchell has a successful hot sauce business he runs. Steve Wiebe is a happy family man. If anything, the acceptance of retrogaming in our current culture is bringing more and more 'normal' people to the fore.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 pm

TBH I'm not into the whole High Score thing either, but wether its your bag or not, it has to be said the amount of time, effort and practice that goes into mastering these old classics at that level is astounding. You don't really appreciate it until you see them play, and then have a crack yourself, just how focussed and melded to the game you have to be to achieve it. The amount of skill required is immense, you need to understand the game and all its quirks and patterns to the point where you can actually pre-empt what the program is going to do next....its a very developed skill, as anyone who's played originals from the early 80's will attest.

Its probably the one thing missing from games nowadays which are designed to be beaten, these f**kers were designed with exactly the opposite ethos making any achievement a battle against the games programmer who's designed it specifically to kill you over and over again until you run out of money.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Jeremiah Jones
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm a record holder myself, of a Castlevania game, with a nursing degree, a wife of eight years... I also write and record guitar music.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by C=Style » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:55 pm

FlyHighKid wrote:I'm not usually too fond of individuals that break world records... It's 99% of the time a bunch of nerds who think they're special because they can mash buttons faster than people who have lives.
Huh? Why are you not fond of them, are they hurting anyone? To call them nerds with no life (oh dear) when you're posting on this forum is a bit rich. *edit* Didn't see you had already apologised, fair enough, you didn't say it to try and censored anyone off intentionally and you are entitled to your opinion :)

I'm amazed at that score because I am seriously crap at this game and find it really difficult.
Last edited by C=Style on Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Tabe
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: Spokane, WA (USA)
Contact:

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by Tabe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Jeremiah Jones wrote:I'm a record holder myself, of a Castlevania game, with a nursing degree, a wife of eight years... I also write and record guitar music.
Loser.

:)

Tabe

User avatar
takesages
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:50 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by takesages » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Hmm... I guess its alright. I don't quite agree with FlyHighKid as I guess there is a lot of skill going on, but I think these guys are really missing the point.

The amount of time they spend just making a number go up higher on the same game day in and day out seems a little depressing. Not because of the 'They have no life' argument which is stupid, just becuase there are so many amazing games out there I think you're really missing out just mastering one.

If someone was like dood, takesages, you can be the high score super galaxy record holder for Pac Man, Donkey Kong and Space Invaders today but you gotta only play those games only for like, 5 years, I'd be like, no way dood!

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Aussie smashes arcade video game world record - Galaga

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 am

I think its because while todays games are indeed amazing and offering great 'experiences' these old arcade games offer a serious challenge, something missing from 99% of modern games, they do it for the same reason people climb mountains, and trek to the South Pole, not because its particularly fun but because its incredibly difficult to do.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests