I've bought a PS3....What next?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Re: I've bought a PS3....What next?

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 am

Thanks for all you responses.

I hope I don’t encounter the handshake problem as the main reason I chose the PS3 over the 360 was for the Blue – Ray drive (Why is it called BD anyway) My main TV is a Panasonic plasma with an LG LCD in the bedroom.

It looks like Killzone 2 and Streetfighter IV for now……..And another joypad.

Two more questions – Will the PS3 work with a wireless router out of the box? Also is it worth getting an official headphone/ microphone thingy? Or will 3rd party ones do the job?

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 am

BD - Blu-ray Disc. I'd refer BR myself.
Yes it's wireless.
3rd party headsets are okay, though every one you look at on the internet will have bad comments about it. I gambled on a wired Logitech one that's been okay, but my Brother got one and it broke on his second use :? The official wireless ones also get bad reviews. It's pot-luck from what I see.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:23 am

Not mentioning MGS4 yourself makes me think you're not a fan of the series so, eventhough it's basically the only game I'd buy a PS3 for right now, I would not recommend it to you.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:41 am

No not a fan of the Metal Gear games I'm afraid.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:50 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Iirc, Orange Box on PS3 was a travesty of a conversion with longer loading times and very poor frame rates in certain parts. Avoid!
It's far from a travesty. 'Very poor frame rates in certain parts' actually equates to two or three brief moments in HL Episode 2 from my experience. Portal is perfect and you can't go wrong for the £11.99 it goes for today.

My current top tens of PS3/PSN exclusives.

PS3
01. Metal Gear Solid 4
02. Valkyria Chronicles
03. Little Big Planet
04. Uncharted
05. Infamous
06. Disgaea 3
07. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
08. Killzone 2
09. Heavenly Sword
10. Resistance: Fall of Man

PSN
01. Flower
02. WipEout HD
03. Shatter
04. The Last Guy
05. Noby Noby Boy
06. Lumines Supernova
07. PixelJunk Eden
08. Everyday Shooter
09. Echochrome
10. GTI Club+

The forthcoming Ratchet & Clank looks promising. Mario Galaxy + GTA + Elite is what I've seen it referred to as more than once.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:40 pm

Team Alfie wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Iirc, Orange Box on PS3 was a travesty of a conversion with longer loading times and very poor frame rates in certain parts. Avoid!
It's far from a travesty. 'Very poor frame rates in certain parts' actually equates to two or three brief moments in HL Episode 2 from my experience. Portal is perfect and you can't go wrong for the £11.99 it goes for today.

My current top tens of PS3/PSN exclusives.

PS3
01. Metal Gear Solid 4
02. Valkyria Chronicles
03. Little Big Planet
04. Uncharted
05. Infamous
06. Disgaea 3
07. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
08. Killzone 2
09. Heavenly Sword
10. Resistance: Fall of Man

PSN
01. Flower
02. WipEout HD
03. Shatter
04. The Last Guy
05. Noby Noby Boy
06. Lumines Supernova
07. PixelJunk Eden
08. Everyday Shooter
09. Echochrome
10. GTI Club+

The forthcoming Ratchet & Clank looks promising. Mario Galaxy + GTA + Elite is what I've seen it referred to as more than once.

Is infamous really that good? I might get a copy :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

There's a demo of inFamous in the PSN shop. It's worth trying first.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:48 pm

Not that I could be bothered reading this thread, because I think anyone that buys a PS3 needs their head examined, but here is the original question and my answer :

Take it back and get a refund.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:44 pm

im surprised resident evil 4 hasn't been sugested, its a good game, and worth a play through.

plus, i think you've made a good choice in ps3, as i too have ore-orderd, and can't wait for it.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:10 pm

retrojc wrote:im surprised resident evil 4 hasn't been sugested, its a good game, and worth a play through.
You mean 5 right? What with this being a PS3 thread and all :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:29 pm

I would like to mention Soldner-X, many people dislike it but I love it, and I'm sure some other people do too. Well worth the money and one of PSN's best games.

Sega Rally is also great on PS3 as is Saints Row 2. Heavenly Sword is so underrated it's not funny, a brilliant hack and slash with beautiful graphics and fun gameplay.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:23 am

C=Style wrote:I would like to mention Soldner-X, many people dislike it but I love it, and I'm sure some other people do too. Well worth the money and one of PSN's best games.

Sega Rally is also great on PS3 as is Saints Row 2. Heavenly Sword is so underrated it's not funny, a brilliant hack and slash with beautiful graphics and fun gameplay.
Is it really? I've steered clear of it, but it's super cheap at the moment. I might give it a punt too :)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 am

liveinabin wrote:
retrojc wrote:im surprised resident evil 4 hasn't been sugested, its a good game, and worth a play through.
You mean 5 right? What with this being a PS3 thread and all :)
yep, my bad. mistype.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:12 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:Not that I could be bothered reading this thread, because I think anyone that buys a PS3 needs their head examined, but here is the original question and my answer :

Take it back and get a refund.

Don't take any notice of rubbish like this from 360 fanboys.
The PS3 is easy the best console I have ever used and the games are fantastic. I have 40 games now (thats a lot for a machine that is ment to have no games) and have enjoyed playing it everyday since I bought it without a single problem.
The WiFi works out of the box no problems and a head-set is easy and cheap to pick up in places like PC world (I have a wired USB pc one, works 100%)
This weeks cheap gaming goodness was 5o Cent - Blood on the Sand for £10 in tesco and Call of Juarez for £20in GS (great game, fantastic multiplayter)

One thing regarding the PS3 slim, can you change the HDD in it easy enough..?
The Fat PS3 has a changeable HDD (even shows you how to do it in the manual) and I would like to pick one up, stick my PS3 250gb drive stright in and retire my MK1 back to its box...

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:21 am

lol, the 360 has a far superior selection of games for it, you can't argue with that.

The 360 is also just as easy to use, if not more so. The 360 controller is better than the flimsy feeling PS3 controller.

I do feel the PS3 will only get better though unless Sony f*ck it up, which is very much a possibility. It's also a pretty good bluray player.

Re: HDD, the HDD has been moved to the front of the console for easy access. Sony want you to swap it out.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........