I've bought a PS3....What next?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

I've bought a PS3....What next?

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:25 am

Hi All.

I have ordered a new PS3 slim (hoping to have it on Monday) and need some advice on what games to buy. I know this is a Retro Forum and all but I don’t know much about this generation of gaming (bar Wii) The PS3 comes with Batman – Arkham Asylum (which looks very impressive) but I’m after the following as well – an FPS and a driving game.

I forgot to add online play too.

At the moment Killzone 2 and The Orange box look good. I’ve just seen a review of Killzone on Gamespot and I am a big fan of the original Half-Life on the PC.

With driving games I tend to prefer arcade style rather a more authentic approach. I love the original Ridge Racer and Colin McRae Rally games. I quite liked Motostorm as well. Dirt2 looks good but I can’t find any reviews as yet.

Sorry this is another “what shall I buy next” thread.

Oh, I forgot to add that my first purchase will be Street Fighter IV :D

One more question (no really) does a PS3 come with a HDMI cable? I’ve found one website that states it does, while a GAME employee (not the most reliable of sources) says it doesn’t, as for me to get “true” 1080P I have to buy the official cable as other cables will only go to 1080i. That last bit is just bollox……..isn’t it?

Thanks again.

BennyTheGreek

Re: I've bought a PS3....What next?

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:51 am

All hdmi leads are the same (except the price)......if your tv supports it, just whap any hdmi lead in (HOme Bargains are doing a decent one for £2.99) 1080p

Buy Motorstorm and Orange Box - pre owned and you will easily get them both for £15

Burnout Paradise is taking up a lot of my time at the moment but it is a bit silly.....Motorstorm will give you hours of fun....

Ridge racer 7 is good as well....

Sorry I dont know if the lead is enclosed as I bought my ps3 2nd hand.....

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 am

Be very careful with this PS3 slim when it comes to 1080p, as I have read inreasing reports that you will only get 1080p with official Sony Bravia sets, which is a load of bullshit as one of the main reasons for getting a PS3 is to watch Blu Rays in 1080p. If you own another brand TV then you will be lumbered with 720p. If this is all true then this is a real fu<k up from Sony.

Have a read here: http://www.digitalspy.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1116611

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 am

Ridge Racer 7 is indispensable as is Outrun 2 (downloadable from the PSN store, where most of the greatest games are). I personally didn't care for Motorstorm, Burnout Paradise etc but my racing tastes are admittedly rather old school.
Another great racer is Racedriver:Grid. Not as drifty as Ridge Racer; it looks like amazingly realistic but still plays like Daytona/Sega Rally etc.

I just did a Google search about the 1080p thing (expecting it to be false) and, amazingly it does turn out that Sony's cost cutting has resulted in a lot of TV makes not 'handshaking' with the PS3, making 1080p display impossible (until Sony release updates, if they feel like it).
To be honest, even if this is fixed at some point, I'd be getting an original PS3 instead. ALL TV's will be 1080p a few years down the line. I'm sure Sony will fix this at some point but I wouldn't be trusting this on day 1, besides, the original PS3 had better fit and finish anyway - it was just too expensive to make, hence the Slim.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:41 am

Sounds like if you get any PS3 made within the last 12 months or so you'll get the handshake problem.

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 am

Get Bioshock and Fallout 3. And for retro goodness, Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection. I have them all on Xbox 360 but I imagine that the PS3 versions are pretty much the same. I believe Castlevania: SOTN is downloadable on PSN now too.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:01 am

Iirc, Orange Box on PS3 was a travesty of a conversion with longer loading times and very poor frame rates in certain parts. Avoid!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 am

Of the games I've played so far these are without a doubt worth a play:

Little Big Planet
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Burnout Paradise
Metal Gear Solid 4 (assuming you're a fan of previous installments?)
Grand Theft Auto IV

PSN:
Wipeout HD
Shatter
Outrun Online Arcade
Super Stardust HD

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 am

Best thing you can but for it are some blu-rays as i.m.o all the multi format games are better on the 360 and non of the exclusives interest me on the ps3 :?
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 am

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Killzone 2
Little Big Planet
Everybody's Golf World Tour
Metal Gear Solid 4
Drake's Fortune: Uncharted

All exclusives, all brilliant. The 360 (which I own) can kiss my arse!

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 am

Apart from the obvious ones mentioned (LBP, Uncharted, MGS IV, and Killzone 2 - amazing multiplayer on KZ2), I'd recommend Call of Duty 4 (unless you've already got it on something else). It's been out a while, so it's probably cheap now, but it's an brilliant FPS with great online play.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

takesages

Post by takesages » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:56 am

Dood... take it back and buy a Dreamcast?

Short of that I would check out Metacritic and take a look at what has got good reviews! Don't just buy stuff simply because it's an exclusive and check out reviews for decent sources, not Sony only blogs and magazines.

I guess Gran Tursimo is the PS3 take on 'realstic driving sim'... I guess it depends how much realism you want but Dirt was never exactly realistic and Dirt 2 is apparantly even less so. Nothing compares to Forza, really.

Don't know what else to say except look for PS3 reviews and do not assume that a good 360 game will be a good PS3 game or vice versa. AS someone has already stated, Orange Box was poorly made on the PS3 - not that you should get it on the 360 either if you have even the slightest chance of being able to get it on the PC.

Assuming you've never owned a 360 you've missed out on a LOT of great games, which is good news!

Oh, Side Note dood: Burnout Paradise is really crappy. It's all the old style Burnout fun except with the worlds stupidest interface. The open city is basically just one huge game selection screen which involves way to much driving about and fussing around to actually play a game. Get burnout 3 instead!

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:26 am

Uncharted Drakes fortune is a must buy at probably a tenner now.

Wipeout HD Fury is a great racer as is rigge racer 7 and Racer Driver: GRID. Again all quite cheap.

Bioshock, Call of Duty 4/World at War and the Orange Box (yes it doesnt play as well as on the PC but it is still very playable) are good choices for a FPS.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:28 am

Had a look into the 1080p thing. It was reported on some 160Gb original PS3s in January. Someone picked up that thread in an isolated problem with their new slim and it's all snowballed from there.

In short, pick up any PS3, you'll be fine.

@Joey - Oh yeah, I clean forgot to mention WipEout HD Fury. That is an absolutely killer game.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:49 am

You could wait for the arrival of Modern Warfare 2. :wink: