Is 'retro gaming' more about the age of games, or the style?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skylarking

Is 'retro gaming' more about the age of games, or the style?

Post by skylarking » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:17 am

For example, do you consider new 2D games as legitimate 'retro gaming', or does a game have to have reached a certain age?

woody.cool

Re: Is 'retro gaming' more about the age of games, or the style?

Post by woody.cool » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:32 am

It's a bit of a mixture to me, but it's quite a lot about the style.
For example: I still consider most of the Street Fighter series of games as retro (except for SF4 of course)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:05 am

Retro = Originally released on older tech that has ceased production

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:18 am

It's all aoout the style however I would include that with the age as the consoles/home computers are what give them their unique look and feel. Some modern game remakes are really good but if I'm honest I do prefer the old skool sprites, low resolutions, bright colours and general look of the 8/16/32-bit era.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 am

Retro games are games released on old systems or re-released on new systems with their original graphics and/or gameplay still in its original form. New games with retro styling are still new games.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Cafeman

Post by Cafeman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 am

My take: Retro Gaming is a style in which new games continue to be made, and is a broader term which includes "Classic gaming", which is an era of gaming which will never return -- that time period of 70's thru the mid 80's. Retro Gaming fans are such because they have a fondness for a certain style of game which has long since ceased to be the popluar current style of video game. Nostalgia from our youth - memories of the old systems and their games - play a strong role in it, but out of necessity because systems like those aren't made anymore.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Retro is all about age and distance from the public conscious for me. Although this is not the ideal situation; I can't help but feel like games such as Paper Mario and Jet Set Radio are retro, even though they're newer than many PS2 titles that are still being published and sold today.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Retro for me is about the age of a game, remakes I consider retro if it's just a graphical upgrading or gameplay tweaking. Game's like Shadow Complex do not qualify as retro for me just because its 2d and has gameplay resembling retro games, it still feels new, and is a totaly unique I.P.

Just to throw a spanner in the works though, how does the community judge puzzle games? That new one on XBLA was reviewed in the latest RG, but should it really be included in a retro mag?

Tariq

Post by Tariq » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:33 am

I was an avid (obsessive, even) gamer for around a decade in the 80s and very early 90s but moved on to other things after that. Now, having rediscovered my passion for gaming, I guess I consider those games that were released during that period to be the real retro games - for me, anyway :-)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 pm

woody.cool wrote:It's a bit of a mixture to me, but it's quite a lot about the style.
For example: I still consider most of the Street Fighter series of games as retro (except for SF4 of course)
I'd agree with this.

For me the awesome Geometry Wars 2 is pure retro, from the way it plays to the focus on high score leaderboards (online) it just oozes retro charm.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:57 pm

DPrinny wrote:Retro = Originally released on older tech that has ceased production
That's not a great definition. The NES was in production up until 2003, by which time I'm sure most of us would have classed it as 'retro'.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:02 pm

killbot wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Retro = Originally released on older tech that has ceased production
That's not a great definition. The NES was in production up until 2003, by which time I'm sure most of us would have classed it as 'retro'.
Was it? In what country? I know about the MS 3 being produced for Brazil for quite some time but I never knew about the NES!
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Spooky wrote:
killbot wrote:
Was it? In what country? I know about the MS 3 being produced for Brazil for quite some time but I never knew about the NES!
Japan, I believe. That's the actual Famicom, not clones.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:01 pm

killbot wrote:
Spooky wrote:
killbot wrote: That's not a great definition. The NES was in production up until 2003, by which time I'm sure most of us would have classed it as 'retro'.
Japan, I believe. That's the actual Famicom, not clones.
Famicoms were made until 2003? Amazing! I wonder how much they cost in 2003! :lol: Were games still being made for it???
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:33 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Retro games are games released on old systems or re-released on new systems with their original graphics and/or gameplay still in its original form. New games with retro styling are still new games.
I agree with this description, especially the very first part.
There is of course the 'retro-style' and it's a good thing, but a whole different one.
As a comparison, I think of old cars like the new Fiat 500, which is a 'remake' of the old classic one; or Alfaromeo 156 which was a new car (ok, not so new right now), but with a cool retro look (especially the interior).