Gunstar Heroes got a shocking 37% in PSM3!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: Gunstar Heroes got a shocking 37% in PSM3!

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am

AVP Jag got moaned at for NOT having any in-game music. by Edge

So despite Rebellion creating some superb atmosphere thanks to the games audio, with Film samples etc, Edge would have prefered what? Some drum n bass? or a screaming guitar solo? :wink: Apparently the low score was put down to the reviewer playing TOO much Doom at the time of review.

Mass Effect on 360? Only got a 7/10 score by them as well.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 pm

I gave up reading EDGE MAGAZINE about 2 years ago when i realized their reviews were the most random crap i'd ever read. :)
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

This ...
FatTrucker wrote:As with a lot of Retro Games a great deal of their appeal comes from actually having experienced the original first time around, or at least having owned the original hardware and having been a gamer in the era the game was released. For people who's only experience is of modern games then the vast majority of Retro titles are going to seem a bit crap by comparison.

And this ...
FatTrucker wrote:In terms of what your 'average' PS3 gamer will get out of these retro releases (and by average I don't mean you, me or the hardcore) then the review is probably a pretty accurate reflection of what most PS3 users would think of the game if they played it. Not nice, but fair.
Pretty much nails it.

Kudos FatTrucker, a man able to look outside his own head. A rare breed indeed around these parts. I salute your objectivity.

station

Post by station » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:32 pm

I haven't read a computer game mag for years, but I picked up Official PS magazine and found they had given every game at least 85%! How can this be?!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 pm

station wrote:I haven't read a computer game mag for years, but I picked up Official PS magazine and found they had given every game at least 85%! How can this be?!
Because every game that's made nowadays is AMAZING. Duh!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:57 am

I read a lot of magazines and I own 'Gunstar Heroes' on the PS3.

In my opinion PSM3, PSW (now ceased to be) and Official Playstation Monthly are poor publications who are more obsessed with hiding the actual magazine behind 'free gifts'. Even though I buy the odd copy of each (they usually sell them for £1 at my local market a month on) they're writing styles and levels of knowledge really annoy me. A recent review of 'Bionic Commando' in PSM3 was full of pointless metaphors and it was clear from what they did talk about that they hadn't completed more than about 25% of the game. Compare this to the superior Gamestm review of the same game and it was clear which article helped me to decide whether I'd like the game or not.

As for 'Gunstar Heroes' - it is a fantastic conversion, changing very little from the great Megadrive version and adding trophies. I wouldn't want it any other way!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:03 am

Those PS3 3 magazines are just Chav magazines full of free gifts and worthless tips books for chavs and casual gamers.. Strange how there front cover consist of random women wearing PS3 clothing..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:13 am

Thing that used to make me chuckle about PSW was i`d watch the stuff on the DVD 1st, game on there would get a positive 'review' then, in the mag, very same game would get torn to shreds in the review section. :lol:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:10 pm

This morning I was telling my boss - who is totally playstation - about Sony's current financial problems and he started telling me about an article he'd read in the latest issue of the official playstation magazine about how the majority of ps3 owners don't want a price drop on the consoles for what sounded like completely stupid and elitist reasons. Some twaddle about how it would somehow sully their consoles good name if the price was dropped. If this is true then Ps3 owners need to seriously wake up and take a cab to real street... or maybe they are just mimicking the blinkered attitudes of Sony's execs concerning their pricing plans, who knows.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:18 pm

gman72 wrote:This morning I was telling my boss - who is totally playstation - about Sony's current financial problems and he started telling me about an article he'd read in the latest issue of the official playstation magazine about how the majority of ps3 owners don't want a price drop on the consoles for what sounded like completely stupid and elitist reasons. Some twaddle about how it would somehow sully their consoles good name if the price was dropped. If this is true then Ps3 owners need to seriously wake up and take a cab to real street... or maybe they are just mimicking the blinkered attitudes of Sony's execs concerning their pricing plans, who knows.
Marketing waffle. Its in OPM. Just a blinkered attempt to create some spin on the fact that Sony have got to keep the price elevated. Never met a consumer that wanted to pay more than they had to. Why would anyone survey existing users to gauge opinion of how much non adopters would want to pay for the machine?. Doubt there's a single person who doesn't own one who wouldn't prefer a lower price if they did decide to purchase.

The Majority of users (surveyed) could refer to 6 out of 10 people on the mag staff, or at Sony HQ. Hardly a barometer.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Are people really taken in by crud like that?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:36 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
gman72 wrote:This morning I was telling my boss - who is totally playstation - about Sony's current financial problems and he started telling me about an article he'd read in the latest issue of the official playstation magazine about how the majority of ps3 owners don't want a price drop on the consoles for what sounded like completely stupid and elitist reasons. Some twaddle about how it would somehow sully their consoles good name if the price was dropped. If this is true then Ps3 owners need to seriously wake up and take a cab to real street... or maybe they are just mimicking the blinkered attitudes of Sony's execs concerning their pricing plans, who knows.
Marketing waffle. Its in OPM. Just a blinkered attempt to create some spin on the fact that Sony have got to keep the price elevated. Never met a consumer that wanted to pay more than they had to. Why would anyone survey existing users to gauge opinion of how much non adopters would want to pay for the machine?. Doubt there's a single person who doesn't own one who wouldn't prefer a lower price if they did decide to purchase.

The Majority of users (surveyed) could refer to 6 out of 10 people on the mag staff, or at Sony HQ. Hardly a barometer.
Well that's funny, but a lot of PS3 owners I've spoken too don't want the price dropped. It's silly I'll grant you but don't dismiss OPSM as putting a spin on things. Many PS3 only owners (fanboys) are quite snobby, they look down on the "cheaply made Fisher Price-like" Xbox 360 and don't want their console to become more mainstream. Most of the people I'm talking about here look at the 360 as a "chav console" like the PS3 holds some kind of prestige. This is more common than you might think and I've certainly come across this attitude more than a few times.

BTW when I was in town today the had posters of the PS3 slim in the windows at GAME advertising preorders, man that was quick, it was like only a few days ago the concept arose and it's out in a few weeks!

takesages

Post by takesages » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:41 pm

C=Style wrote: Many PS3 only owners (fanboys) are quite snobby, they look down on the "cheaply made Fisher Price-like" Xbox 360 and don't want their console to become more mainstream.
I've never heard of that, but I'm not surprised. You've only got to look at Mac owners to see this in action all around you. If you price your technology for double or triple what the closest competitor charges, make it all shiny and glossy and have the marketing power to promote it like its some sort of lifestyle choice rather than a PC that can't play games and costs a fortune, you've got a winner. I assume Sony uses the similar tactics; that or the price range just does it for them.

These are the kind of people that think what technology they buy 'says something' about who they are as a person. Which is ironic really because anyone who thinks like that tends to have no personallity anyway.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm

agreed.
It all stinks of an excuse to keep the prices high.