Gunstar Heroes got a shocking 37% in PSM3!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

happyguy151

Gunstar Heroes got a shocking 37% in PSM3!

Post by happyguy151 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 pm

I picked up the new PSM3 mag today and I was shocked to see this! so many mags and people online including myself love this game.

They complained that its too short, visually its not a looker, and the gameplay cannot stand up to the likes of Metal Slug.

They also said retro games like Sonic, Mario, Outrun etc all look very weary now compared to most modern titles.

What a total disrespect for these classics which stand up very well to lots of modern games.

dwitefry

Re: Gunstar Heroes got a shocking 37% in PSM3!

Post by dwitefry » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:26 am

F*ck 'em.

Most people who've played Gunstar Heroes and doesn't work for PS3M will probably arrive to the opposite conclusion, the same one I have and by the sounds of it you have. That PS3M are talking out of thier Eidos juice filled bumholes. (Note: no such claim has been made against PS3M visa ve review fixing in relation to Eidos Interactive games, though it has been made against Official Playstation Magazine, but then you all knew they were bent as butchers hooks right?)

Plus thier offhand rejection of older games (bad choices for examples there PSM3) is based solely on looks. Not only enforcing the stereotype that many PS3ers just want GREAT GRAFFIXX1!!1 but also a hypocritical statement as many current generation graphics, while very round looking, are dogged by bloom and brown - neither of which creates realism and neither of which make a game visually appealing or well designed, unlike say Gunstar Heroes (or Portal, just to show i'm not biased).

So yeah, f*ck 'em.

MeX

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:38 am

happyguy151 wrote:They also said retro games like Sonic, Mario, Outrun etc all look very weary now compared to most modern titles.
This makes me laugh :lol:

Sounds like a mag I quite rightly shouldn't be buying. I was playing Sonic on the 360 recently, it was as good as when I first played it. More enjoyable than COD167: Badger Warfare.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:49 am

I might have agreed with them if the score was based on the rubbish Trophies/Achievements. Walk through the opening stage without doing anything out of the ordinary and you automatically get at least three from what I remember. Despite all the possibilities that these little rewards offer retro titles, there was nothing to add value for fans. Lame of Sega to do something so unimaginative for a game like GH.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 am

I'm not surprised by this, it's their loss really.

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:23 am

More reason to appreciate RG who give classics the respect they deserve.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 am

Gunstar Heroes is in 2D; what did you expect? :wink:

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:41 am

The Angry Jock wrote:
happyguy151 wrote:They also said retro games like Sonic, Mario, Outrun etc all look very weary now compared to most modern titles.

Sounds like a mag I quite rightly shouldn't be buying. I was playing Sonic on the 360 recently, it was as good as when I first played it. More enjoyable than COD167: Badger Warfare.
Big LOLs at an idiot Sony rag laying the cuss on some old Sega/Nintendo games. No-one will even remember crap like Resistance to laugh at in twenty years, let alone to celebrate it.

You dont tend to hear many people praise generic PS1 era slop like Syphon Filter these days, do you? Even the chumps I had to sell that sh*t to back in the day have probably long since forgotten about it.

Not that I'm suggesting that memorable, unique, big budget megagames like Killzone 2 will go the same way, no sir...

*Disclaimer- I own and enjoy many PS1/PS2 games as well as some modern FPS.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:26 am

I don't generally hold much store by magazine reviews. When it comes down to it, it's one persons opinion (which is fair enough), undeservedly given more gravitas by the fact it's in print.

Reviews are useful, but I have to read a load of them from a lot of different sources to get a vaguely accurate idea.

takesages

Post by takesages » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:57 am

I wouldn't expect much more from a Playstation 3 mag... they are writing for thier audience and their audience are the kind of people that have to spend twice the price of a 360 to get the most cutting edge technology available. While I'm aware we have plenty of PS3 fans here as well, I'm sure you guys are in the minority.

It's weak journalism though (if you want to call it that). You have to review older games in context. It's not enough to look at them and say "Wot, no graphics??" You need to talk about their peers, thier legacy and how well they've stood the test of time. Not that I'd expect strong journalism for PS3 demographic magazine?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:10 am

AlleyKat wrote:
The Angry Jock wrote:

Big LOLs at an idiot Sony rag laying the cuss on some old Sega/Nintendo games. No-one will even remember crap like Resistance to laugh at in twenty years, let alone to celebrate it.

You dont tend to hear many people praise generic PS1 era slop like Syphon Filter these days, do you? Even the chumps I had to sell that sh*t to back in the day have probably long since forgotten about it.

Not that I'm suggesting that memorable, unique, big budget megagames like Killzone 2 will go the same way, no sir...

*Disclaimer- I own and enjoy many PS1/PS2 games as well as some modern FPS.
Funny thing about that is that in it's day, Syphon Filter was fairly big budget and a technical marvel (I remember being amazed that you could shoot through windows :lol: ) so while we're all playing in Tron style 3D virtual crap, KZ2 will probably look...well...like Syphon Filter looks now :lol:

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:54 am

The Angry Jock wrote:
Yeah, You dont hear movie pundits saying "Well, the 1930's King Kong just doesnt look very good next to the modern one..........!"

ITS NOT F*&^ING GONNA LOOK THE SAME AS MODERN STUFF YOU 12 YEAR OLD WITH A JOURNALISM QUALIFICATION FROM A CEREAL BOX!

Phew, rant over!

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 am

Who the hell still buys these 'official' magazines, they have all been printing utter cack for years. Not to offend anyone, but the majority of ps3 owners I've come across probably wouldn't give Gunstar a go anyway.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

Usually this magazine is pretty good when it comes to reviews, I find this one rather odd :o

That said I beat Gunstar Heroes in a two hour sitting and haven't played it since...longevity not great, but it's a bit mean to moan about the graphics, what did they give Wolfenstein 3D? :lol:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:35 pm

The fact is it DOES look like total censored on the PS3 on an HD panel, if you expect it to look anything like it did in RGB on a nice CRT in 4:3 then you are seriously mistaken, the gfx in this respect aren't even half as nice. The art style of the game is obviously gorgeous but there was no graphical update at all and only a terrible blurry filter to compensate (simple scanlines would have been sufficient). Plus I think personally the game is also overrated as one of MD top games *raises flame shield*. I'd much rather play Alien Soldier, Contra Hard Corps or even Dynamite Headdy. I seem to recall OPSM3 given a respectable score to the Ultimate MD collection so I wouldn't say they are biased towards retro per se. People are getting there knickers in a twist somewhat!