Amiga disk question

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Amiga disk question

Post by Mantas » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Forgive my ignorance but if I use a normal PC 3.5" disk and format it on the Amiga, can I then use it to make backups of my original Amiga games? Thanks

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Yes, as long as they are Amiga formatted.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:36 pm

However, you must cover the hole (the one without the switch) with cellotape or else it won't work. :wink:

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:36 pm

But does that apply to the 1.44MB ones or just the smaller 720KB ones?

GAH! Pottyboy posted before I could!!! :evil:
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:04 pm

You can use HD disks if you must. The Amiga doesn't check for the extra hole if you are using a normal Amiga drive. They are supposed to be less reliable though if they are used on an Amiga. It's best to use 880k DSDD disks (the ones with one write protect hole).

The only time you need to cover the extra hole on a HD disk is if you put it in a PC when it's formatted for a PC in 720k format - which it doesn't sound like you will need to do.

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:41 pm

If you have an Escom edition A1200 then by downloading a patch off Aminet you can make full use of high density disks. I've heard this patch works fine but I never did get it to work on my Escom A1200HD. Best bet is try to get double sideded, double density disks from ebay as this will probably be your cheapest option. What software will you be using to backup your games? As copy protection on the Amiga could be pretty unrelenting unless games were cracked. In my opinion you'ld be better sticking in a 2.5" HD (can't be over 4GB unless your OS is later than 3.1) and downloading WDLoad to install them without hassle.

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:23 pm

A HD in the A1200 makes all the diff in the world! WB becomes useful! And no mental disc swapping in flight of the amazon queen ;)
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:26 pm

or Monkey Island 2!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Heh, yeah! FOTAQ was about 14 discs, lol! Bought the HD the day after I go the game ;)

Even with 2 floppy drives it was painful!

:)
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:26 am

I thought FOTAQ was 11 disks (or at leat my ver is)

Also Beneath A Steel Sky is 16 disks! This is proper mental !!!!!!!!!

I also hated playing alot of Amiga beat-em-ups, they were all 4-disks (except Super SF2 AGA which was 7-disks). THank god for Hard Drives.

Best Idea is to get a RAM Expansion/Accellerator from ebay for your A1200. Then download WHDLoad from the internet (google it or www.whdload.de).

Install WHDLoad and then download the installers/patchers for the games you have. Now you can install the games to HDD (even the really stubborn copy-protected stuff) and run them from Workbench.

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Yeah! Already have done ;)

have to say that workbench comes into it's own with a HD and some fast ram...

Incidentally winuae will boot off an Amiga HD if ya stick it in ya pc - how's that for class?

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Slackdog wrote:Yeah! Already have done ;)

have to say that workbench comes into it's own with a HD and some fast ram...

Incidentally winuae will boot off an Amiga HD if ya stick it in ya pc - how's that for class?

Funninly enough, that's how I installed AmigaOS 3.9 form CD onto my Amiga's Hard Drive - My amiga 1200 is CD-less. so I put my HD into my PC and set-up WinUAE to use it and then installed Amiga OS 3.9

One thing I should mention - WinUAE can only read/write Amiga HD's on Windows 2000 & Windows XP machines (if running WinUAE under Win98 it won't work)