What is the ultimate Amiga for games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Overheat

What is the ultimate Amiga for games?

Post by Overheat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 am

My question is in the subject, I've been looking for a while at different Amigas but I can't seem to find one that can play everything - is there such a model and if not, is there a way to get close to this level, or do I have to resort to (dare i say it) emulation? (yuk!)

So I need something that can run AGA, CD and early games and CD32 is an option, but not an essential as I don't mind collecting for this seperately.

I was thinking an A1200 with an external CD (or modded) and a HDD (as pretty much every game works better when installed) - but my A1200 won't run older games, did this ever get a fix? Also is the A4000 any better for compatibility?

Also, are there many games that need a faster processor or an upgraded A1200 in order to run, and if so once this machine was upgraded would it still play the older games ok?

The other option I was looking at was to have a CD32 with an SX-1 or SX-32 unit - is this the jack-of-all Amiga?

So, I'm looking out to all you Amiga fans out there - is there a perfect gaming Amiga, or should I resign myself to thinking that it's going to be impossible to get everything in one box?
Last edited by Overheat on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

Commander Jameson

Re: What is the ultimate Amiga for games?

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:36 am

Get a Miggy 1200 -forget the HDD and external CD malarkey and get Kickrom 3.1 in it, and a CF reader for your games.

I'm new to all this science. Perhaps Mr. Zetro will spy the titleof this thread and be along any minute to lay it all out for you. Helpful chap. :D

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 am

That sounds a whole lot like emulation to me - I want to collect for the Amiga, but I like to play the games I collect, so I'd like a way to be able to play everything I own (hence CD and HDD being nigh on essential)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:31 am

Yes get an Amiga 1200 an hard drive,some ram,compact flash card+adaptor for the pcmcia slot.Download whdload and put it onto cf card.Then put the cf card with the adapter into pcmcia slot,install whdload from the cf card onto the hardrive. Or copy it over if you want*.whdload is great app that allows you to play the former disk only games from an hardrive.A lot of the A500 whdload games where slightly modded to allow A1200 to run the games from whdload.But if you talking about playing from floppy's get an A1200 anyway or an A500
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:43 am

Was WHDLoad not available on diskette?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:44 am

dont think it was,are you confusing it with relokick? *an disk app that allowed you to play A500 games on A1200

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:04 am

Overheat wrote:Was WHDLoad not available on diskette?
The whole point of WHDLoad is to play games from hard drive so no.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 am

Hmmm... WHDLoad seems like a good idea, but does this just allow A500 games to be played from HDD, or does it also fix compatibility issues with A500 games? What's Relokick all about?

I'm not necessarily looking to play everything from HDD, as I still enjoy handling the games (as weird as that sounds), and I'm certainly not looking for Amiga ROMs as I want to collect the games, not just play them, but if HDD is the best way, then so be it.

Btw, what's the debate between A1200 and A4000 - is A4000 worth the premium?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:59 am

Yes some A500 whdload games are modded to run or to run better on A1200 and yes they run from the hd.Relokick was an app that restarted the A1200 into thinking it had earlier kickstart allowing to run A500 games.Amiga 1200 has an 020 processor,the Amiga 4000 depending on which model,had an 030 or an 040 processor.When you are buying an A4000 check to see inside if the on board battery has not leaked/or started to leak and damaged the motherboard.The A1200 you can pick up an 030/040 acclerator for the A1200 commonly enough on ebay,expect to pay £100+ for it
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:56 am

The ultimate Amiga for games is an Amiga 1200 with accellerator, a bit of extra RAM, hard drive & WHDLoad

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 pm

Got it - I know what I'll get next then - shame there's no inbuilt CD drive tho - so will still consider an A4000 for that reason alone.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Overheat wrote:Got it - I know what I'll get next then - shame there's no inbuilt CD drive tho - so will still consider an A4000 for that reason alone.
Not a bad choice! The only thing is, the A4000 will set you back a lot more than a A1200

Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:35 pm

(ponders... Ultimate Amiga for games.....)

for 93 % of games

an A1200 with an 030 accelerator and 8MB of Fast Ram will serve you very well

for that extra 7% you will need an 040/060 accelerator / CPPC and a graphics card... you will have to wrestle that with yourself as that lot there will set you back atleast £300 - £500 on its own!!!

I have many Amiga's my self, A4000/A2000/A500/A600/CD32/A1200 my favourite model is infact the A1200 it is sooooooo versitile!!

I will say that alough I own a couple of 060 upgrades and graphics cards I do not own a CPPC processor....... yet...... lol to be fair there is only 4 or 5 games that I can think of that actaully NEED it --- WipEout 2097 / Version of Quake / Quake2 / Heretic shogo... and thats probably about it to be fair!

I suppose it would be best to describe my vision of an ultimate GAMING Amiga (99% of game compatability)

A1200 basic model = £35
(yep the classic Vanilla wedge :))

Kickroms 3.1 = £ 15
(has a lot of fixes and revisied code for better operation and support)

Apollo 060 +32MB of ram = £200
(Very VERY fast accelerator for the Amiga)

Indivision Scan doubler = £100
(a nice bit of kit that outputs to VGA and has Higher screen modes :))

IDE Fix Express = £30
(This speeds the IDE onboard from 2MB a sec to 5.5MB a sec... also gives an extra channel for a maximum of IDE 4 devices)

DVD/CDRW = £10
(a SFF *small form factor* Laptop ROM drive, internally built into the Amiga, allows you to play all the CD32 games as well :))

Compact Flash as Hard disk and IDE Adapter = £20
(4GB of instant seek data store for the Amiga is a very nice bit of kit :))

4x Competition Pro Joysticks + Paralell Joyport Expander = £40
(you will understand that £40 is well spent when you have friends over playing 4 player bomberman... oh yes... let the carnage begin)

Cocolino PS2 Mouse adapter = £25
(allows you to use a regular PC mouse, the amiga mousey has a dpi of 300 where as the PC mousy today has over 1000dpi well worth it!)

-----------

thats the hardware out of the window, so lets look at software

WHDLoad = £15 for a registration (not required but I recommend it)
(this provides you amiga with the ability to run non-harddrive games from the harddisk, when set correctly the games are run in thier optimum environment including kickstart downgrading automatically)

Clasic Workbench: Advanced = Free as long as you have a copy of workbench :D
(this is a modified Workbench with all the nessasary files and programs to make workbench and your amiga much more useable, it also includes an unregistered version of WHDLoad so you can try that before you register ;))

y'know thats about it for a Gamming Amiga,

**The only alternative i would recomend is a hardware one
(Instead of £200 on an Apollo 060, I would offer the thought that for £130 you could pickup an Apollo 030 Mk3 or a Blizzard 030 Mk3 or Mk4 these will provide a reasonable and value for money Games Machine, you can also drop the Indivision Scan Doubler and use the Native out, this will remove some games like Doom / TFX etc but its a £170 trade off)

so I just calculated you are looking at £490 from scratch with the top of the range kit, or with an 030 and no indivision £320

*please note the prices I have quoted here are todays average IMHO, you can getter better and worse deals if you look around, try http://www.amibay.com and obviously the dreadded http://www.ebay.com

if you need any links or help just mention here or PM :)

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 pm

woody.cool wrote:The ultimate Amiga for games is an Amiga 1200 with accellerator, a bit of extra RAM, hard drive & WHDLoad
Sounds pretty much like my A1200, a towered up machine with an '040, extra 32MBs RAM, 8gig HD, running OS3.9, with a CD & Zip drive plus registered WHDLoad. Plus a monitor with scandoubler.

Why am I mentioning this? Err, I'm planning on selling it shortly as I'm running out of space in my house and I've decided to keep my CD32+SX32 expanded model for my new place. Looking at putting it on gamerbay over the next week or so.

(sorry for blatantly plugging)

I do agree with woodycool though - the A1200 coupled with a HD+WHDload, extra ram and an accellerator is easily the best 'all in one' machine. I can run Dungeon Master (c.1986) as easily as Alien Breed 3D and pretty much everything in betweeen.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:51 pm

michaelf wrote:
woody.cool wrote:The ultimate Amiga for games is an Amiga 1200 with accellerator, a bit of extra RAM, hard drive & WHDLoad
Sounds pretty much like my A1200, a towered up machine with an '040, extra 32MBs RAM, 8gig HD, running OS3.9, with a CD & Zip drive plus registered WHDLoad. Plus a monitor with scandoubler.

Why am I mentioning this? Err, I'm planning on selling it shortly as I'm running out of space in my house and I've decided to keep my CD32+SX32 expanded model for my new place. Looking at putting it on gamerbay over the next week or so.

(sorry for blatantly plugging)

I do agree with woodycool though - the A1200 coupled with a HD+WHDload, extra ram and an accellerator is easily the best 'all in one' machine. I can run Dungeon Master (c.1986) as easily as Alien Breed 3D and pretty much everything in betweeen.
@Michaelf: sounds like you've got an exact copy of my towered A1200 there :)