Pinball, recommend me some...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
CrookedMouth
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: USA, Maine

Post by CrookedMouth » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:16 pm

this one was allready mentioned by pinman(which one wasn't?) but go find Medieval Madness and enjoy one of the best. This one was so good it made me a pinball fan, I never liked them in the 70's-80's.

User avatar
skinny
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:35 pm

Post by skinny » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:45 pm

Epic Pinball, Android. First 'almost real' computer pinball game I played. Hours of fun, surely still available on the net.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:40 am

Hey Ant - I just got PCZONE through the letter box - and it has a 2 page thingy on PinMame and some cool looking tables - should be out in the shops in a few days!

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:55 am

markopoloman wrote:Hey Ant - I just got PCZONE through the letter box - and it has a 2 page thingy on PinMame and some cool looking tables - should be out in the shops in a few days!
What's on the cover so I get the right issue? I buy that mag sometimes anyway so I know I'll read more than the 1 article.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:14 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Hence why I underline the links.
Not that one you didn't...
Actually, I did, but apparently Internet Explorer for Windows ignores the PHPBB underline style entirely.

Seriously, Imagine web gurus: update the style sheet for this forum. It's beyond a joke now that it's still impossible to distinguish links from normal text. It's not like it'd take very long to whop a {text-decoration: underline;} or a {color: #006d90;} a:hover {text-decoration: underline;} into your CSS, especially seeing as I've just done the work for you.

I tried for ages one day to underline a link, edited the post 6 or 7 times before deciding it wasn't gonna happen, it is rather annoying.


2 points to make,


1. pinMAME??? never heard of it, can someone explain?

2. Anyone mentioned Psycho Pinball? Mate of mine has been going on about it for years, as far as he's concerned it's the greatest pinball game ever. When I read this thread I had to ask him again what it was called.
He also pointed out that in the US Crueball had a different name, can't remember what it was though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:03 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:1. pinMAME??? never heard of it, can someone explain?
Its like MAME, but for pinball roms. It emulates the hardware for the pinball tables that have fancy LED displays with visuals and minigames etc on them, as well as the simpler stuff like handling scoring. There are some example screenies at the homepage here

Not much use on its own, but combined with Visual Pinball you can play recreations of real tables or amateur ones - Visual Pinball is like an OTT version of Pinball Construction Kit. There's a dedicated forum for it here, and there are links to all the required files. Forum is handy, as it can be a sod to set up sometimes.

Once its up and running, you might want to add VPLauncher to make it easier to play your tables.

Have we had a Visual Pinball article in RG yet? I know I read about it somewhere, but I half suspect it was in PC Zone many moons ago.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:20 am

As the article in RG mag was about: Pinball Dreams, this is in my opionion, the best pinball game I have played.

I have Pinball Dreams (on Amiga, SNES & PC - I prefer the Amiga version), Pinball Prelude (PC), Pinball Fantasies (Amiga) and some generic pinball game that I can't remember the name of (PC - old DOS pinball game - but has some funky CDDA tracks on the CD that are played during the game - haven't seen the CD since I moved house a couple of months ago - might be in my HiFi CD Player - to play those funky CDDA tracks)

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Hey Ant - I just got PCZONE through the letter box - and it has a 2 page thingy on PinMame and some cool looking tables - should be out in the shops in a few days!
What's on the cover so I get the right issue? I buy that mag sometimes anyway so I know I'll read more than the 1 article.
Sorry Ant - you got it yet?

PREY is on the cover - and that look rather nice!!!!

Mantas
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Post by Mantas » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:11 pm

On PinMAME...

Theatre of Magic
Ceature from the Black Lagoon
Star Wars

I've played these games loads of times and have never gotten bored on them. I've also had the extreme pleasure of playing the real thing.

On PC or Amiga, Pinball Fantasies if recommended. Stones and Bones is my fav table.

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:1. pinMAME??? never heard of it, can someone explain?
Its like MAME, but for pinball roms. It emulates the hardware for the pinball tables that have fancy LED displays with visuals and minigames etc on them, as well as the simpler stuff like handling scoring. There are some example screenies at the homepage here

Not much use on its own, but combined with Visual Pinball you can play recreations of real tables or amateur ones - Visual Pinball is like an OTT version of Pinball Construction Kit. There's a dedicated forum for it here, and there are links to all the required files. Forum is handy, as it can be a sod to set up sometimes.


Once its up and running, you might want to add VPLauncher to make it easier to play your tables.

Have we had a Visual Pinball article in RG yet? I know I read about it somewhere, but I half suspect it was in PC Zone many moons ago.
Forgot to say thanks for that. Sounds overly complcated and I can't be bothered. :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:28 am

Has anyone here managed to get VisualPinMAME to work correctly? When I tried it I just got the picture of the screen area, no actual pinball table, just a rather stretched image of the Pinball machines little screen. I cannot find an option to change this either!

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:08 am

Isn't that all its supposed to do?

PinMAME just emulates the scoreboard.

Visual Pinball emulates the physical machine and playfield, flippers, balls etc.

You need them both.

See here
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:56 am

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mantas
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Post by Mantas » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:32 am

I haven't installed it for a while but these are the instructions I used. They might be a bit outdated but hopefully it will get you going in the right direction.



How do I setup Visual Pinball and VPinMAME?

Prerequisites:
1. Minimum PII-400/64MB RAM... Recommended: PIII-866/128MB RAM
1. Win95/98/Me/NT/XP
2. At least Internet Explorer 5 or higher (for latest scripting files)
3. DirectX 8.0 or higher


Download the following:
1. Visual Pinball
2. VPinMAME
3. VBS Script Files
4. VPinMAME Samples
5. Fonts Collection


Visual Pinball first time Install:
1. Download #1 (Full install, not exe only) and unzip files to a temp folder.
2. Go to the temp folder and run the setup.exe and use the default directory (C:/Program Files/Visual Pinball)
3. Restart if asked to.


VPinMAME Install:
1. Make a new folder called C:/VPinMAME
2. Download #2 and unzip files into C:/VPinMAME (make sure to use folder names)
3. Run the setup.exe in C:/VPinMAME
4. Notice the names of the folders that it points to for the files
5. Write these down and create them within C:/VPinMAME
6. Download #3 and unzip into C:/VPinMAME/Tables
7. Download #4 into C:/VPinMAME/Samples (don't unzip) and rename the file to pinmame.zip
8. Download #5 and unzip fonts to C:/Windows/Fonts
Table

Download the tables you want from either shivaSite, AJ's VPinMAME, or IRPinball.
If you download any VPinMAME tables, you need to get the ROMset as well.


The Table ZIP file contains a .vpt file that you unzip into the C:/VPinMAME/Tables directory
The ROMs STAY ZIPPED and go into C:/VPinMAME/Roms directory
The MP3 or any music ZIP file(s) unzip into C:/VPinMAME/Music
After everything is installed above, run Visual Pinball from the Start -> Programs menu
Goto File -> Open and change the directory to C:/VPinMAME/Tables and select a table
It should load into VP. Then, press F5 to play the table.
NOTE: Do not erase anything installed by Vpinball install. If you erase even the demo tables it installs, it will constantly try to reinstall every time you double click a file to run.

User avatar
Jazzem
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:07 pm

Re:

Post by Jazzem » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:36 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote: Anyone mentioned Psycho Pinball? Mate of mine has been going on about it for years, as far as he's concerned it's the greatest pinball game ever. When I read this thread I had to ask him again what it was called.
He also pointed out that in the US Crueball had a different name, can't remember what it was though.
I bought it in GameStation's BOGOF slection a while ago, and while I haven't played too much it is superb, very addictive (If a little too hard!) stuff.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ant512, Antiriad2097 and 4 guests