Sega intends to fix Sonic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sir Hilary Bray

Re: Sega intends to fix Sonic

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Sonic NEEDS to go back to 2D.

It works for New Super Mario Bros, and just look at Little Big Planet, sure it has 3D elements, but it mostly feels, looks and plays like a 2D platformer.

Look what's coming to the Wii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nhMwtxCHCI

I've not been this excited for a game in a long time.

MAKE IT HAPPEN SEGA!

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Super Mario Brothers looks like a nice game. But I'd only buy that if it's a budget title.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Wow, I need a Wii :wink: I need that Mario Bros. game, been putting it off for a while now, but that game has just changed my mind

Shion

Post by Shion » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 am

I still say reboot, keep the number of Chaos Emeralds consistant, the mythology of stuff like The Floating Island already laid out, stop sitting on the fence on Robotnik/Eggman just pick one and go with it, scrap this werehog nonsense, and the idea of a sword, or a Shadow hedgehog with a gun.

And SPEED.

I say some plot like he has to run right around the world or something, and the acts have no time limit, but the whole game has a time limit, you can save the game, and like it would probably take a dozen attempts to complete because you'd be running out of time before even making the last leve.

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 am

Personally its not that Sega needs to "Fix" Sonic so much, I mean - that's pretty much what they have been *doing* since Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic Heroes started off the constant tweaking of the home console games and they keep trying to force gimmicks into each game in the hope of making it sell more somehow.

"Lets make it a team game! Lets make one with that emo Hedgehog fangirls like and give him guns! Make him turn into a Warehog! ect."

Sonic Adventure 1 nor 2 really needed to give Sonic that gimmick - while it did separate the game out with different little scenarios the pure Sonic Levels were welcomed and the other level types worked with the characters (some can dispute Big being any fun however and I'll agree with people that Knuckles wasnt fun in the first game but the second game had better exploration) . Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure are the closest we've had to a proper Sonic game in a while

Unleashed was okay and Warehog isn't really all *that* terrible. But they really needed to trust in the Sonic sections more and not cheap out on the level designs like they did. Thankfully all the recent events have been written such that they might not be canon or the characters don't need to remember them so there's nothing stopping getting the series on track plot wise really.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:39 am

http://kotaku.com/5355153/sonic-returns ... 2d-hd-game

Not holding my breath. It's going to be like Sonic Rush.