Sega intends to fix Sonic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Team Alfie

Sega intends to fix Sonic

Post by Team Alfie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:33 am

This story came out last week, but as I've been playing Sonic Rush Adventure over the weekend I'm appreciating it a bit more today. I'd link to the story from Retro Gamer's NowGamer sister site if they'd bothered to cover it. Alas...

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sega ... over-time/

At least they've finally admitted in public that it's been too rubbish for too long. And yet as my time with Sonic Rush Adventure made all too apparent, there's a lot that's far from rubbish. In fact, this game has as many moments of excellence as any great DS title, not least Sonic Rush, whose levels aren't as good. I don't even mind taking to the seas, which is more fun than in Zelda Wind Waker. It's just that it has so much inane chatter and Marine the Raccoon. Forcing me to replay levels repeatedly before I can open up new ones wasn't the best idea either. Once should be enough, no? Fortunately, this isn't a Sonic game where the idea of playing a level more than once is soul-destroying.

So why does Sega need to 'take time' to fix Sonic? Get rid of the extra characters, get rid of the Werehog, get rid of the swords and guns, get rid of the bits where you have to slow down to a crawl to avoid falling down a cheap bottomless pit, get rid of the bad cameras in the 3D games. And there you go, fixed Sonic. The good stuff has always been there. Knuckles can stay, but not Tails the bastard. I want a Sonic game where the SEGA logo comes on screen and Sonic runs through it and straight into the first level.

MikeHaggar

Re: Sega intends to fix Sonic

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:46 am

Team Alfie wrote:get rid of the Werehog
Sounds like they won't:
There was some talk about the werehog aspect, the slower pacing and more combat-oriented gameplay, but when we go out and test this stuff and sit down with the consumers, kids actually like that.
]

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 am

I think that future Sonic titles will be better. Why? It can't get any worse, can it?

Yeah, I'm lying to myself :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 am

I'll believe it when I see it. Sonic Adventure 3 would be a good starting point I think.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 am

All they have to do is keep it in it's oiginal side scrolling format, create some quality challnging levels and make it look pretty, which current gen systems can do quite nicely.

The problem is kids are too fussy these days and want to shoot everything with laser guns and transform into a Siberian ninja squirrel!

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:39 am

I think the problem here is that us, as old gamers who have been gaming since Sonic first arrived on the scene, are no longer in Sega's plans.
Sega have released games for us and we're no longer considered in their market. They probably feel that all the games they released around that era cater to us just fine, after all, we're retro gamers and we are still buying all these old games.

As for the new gamers on tha block, the kids out there. Werewolf Sonic appeals to them, they dont know Sonic any different and probably wont want to. The special effects and "extreme" werewolf violence, is what they want from a game.
Secondly, we have fond memories about Sonic as it was so new and different... It will only be new and different for so long.

So why should they break the good selling patterns they have now to consider a long dead market of survivng gamers from the early 90s?
If they did (and followed Nintendo's route), they would only be accused of running out of ideas like Nintendo. The Mario games might be well polished and always deliver, but its always the same game underneath.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:43 am

As a main Sonic title you can pretty much guarantee that they will never return to the old 2d side scroller as it just doesn't meet today's market. The Sonic Adventure series was going the right way all they needed to do was concentrate on creating more speed areas and fix the dodgy cam.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:51 am

I felt Sega were finally starting to get somewhere with Unleashed, it wasn't perfect but up until the last level I really enjoyed what they managed to achieve with the Day levels. It had its problems (Werehog) but the day sections have been some of the strongest, most fun levels in a very long time (in my opinion). They managed to combine speed, platforming and even featured some half decent 2D sections while they were at it. If Sega were to perhaps build on this they might one day have another great Sonic game, but I won't hold my breath.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 am

But did`nt sega admit the 'rubbish' sonic games were the ones that sold?. :?

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:49 am

thevulture wrote:But did`nt sega admit the 'rubbish' sonic games were the ones that sold?. :?
Yep. They all sell well but if they actually released a good game (say something as good as Super Mario Galaxy) then it would most likely sell a shed load more. Sonic is still a pretty big mascot for them (we wouldnt have had Sonic & Mario at the Olympics otherwise) so it makes sense to give your main mascot the best games.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:08 am

Call me cuckoo, but I thought they had the right idea with Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island. That'd make for a good Sonic update, with rotational cameras and everything, and it'd still appeal to the kiddie-winks, because... It looks like an RPG or something? Dunno, thought Sonic Rush Adventure was a PERFECT game. Maybe if they "did" Sonic 4 as a direct continuation of Sonic & Knuckles, with all the characters from that point in time, lots of creative new Badniks, some nice new Egg-O-Matic designs, multiple paths through the levels, no bottomless pits, more to the gameplay than just pressing forward, having it set on Mobius rather than in San Francisco, and then "have it" in 2D HD with music from Dreams Come True...

I'm a dreamer!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 pm

It wouldn't 'fix' Sonic, but you know what I think would help reverse the rot? If they got rid of those dreadful grinding sections. You know what I mean: those bits in levels that attach you to a rail and do all the work for you. It doesn't get much more boring than those bits in Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance 2 and especially in Sonic Heroes. They even crop up in Sonic Unleashed.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I haven't bothered playing a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure on the DC. I didn't like that and it was supposed to be good. :? Considering all subsequent Sonic games are supposed to be worse to varying degrees, there's not much point me trying them. :(

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:58 pm

I always felt that Sonic Team's best games were the non-Sonic ones. Sonic was a great game but it was a pretty limited concept for 20 years worth of titles.
Still, the fast bits of Sonic Unleashed were pretty good. If they can just distill that then they're pretty much there.

takesages

Post by takesages » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:17 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Call me cuckoo, but I thought they had the right idea with Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island.
You're cuckoo. :]

But to be fair, they have done the whole isometric thing again with the dark brotherhood DS RPG game and it works alright. Obviously it's not a platform game like you envision, but it's worth noting. I'd say that Sonic does 3D (proper 3D) just fine though - it's not the dimesions or camera that's the problem, its that all the game lose sight of the whole speed aspect that made Sonic awesome in the first place.

You know what's stupid though? The argument that we're all old grumpy guts who can't face the future and would think any new Sonic game is rubbish unless it was released on the Megadrive and had compatability with Sonic and Knuckles. Blaming your old fans for need being able to move with the times (while at the same time acknowledging that your games aren't any good) might have actually been a good excuse for releasing rubbish... if it wasn't for Nintendo.

I'm no huge Mario fan and I really disliked Mario 64 but if Nintendo can keep their platforming mascot fresh and interesting after so long, there's no reason Sega can't.

First Step: Bring out a Directors cut of Unleashed called Unleashed: Daytime. Expand on the games existing daytime levels and create 6 or 7 more. Inject a bit more gameplay into the story mode and rewrite the story to remove any mention of Werehogs. There's your first good Sonic game for a home console since Sonic Adventure 2, Sega.