360 really is rubbish.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Space_turnip
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Yate, Bristol

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:32 pm

will2097 wrote:It's pathetic. This is why I hate gamers. They can't get their thick-skulls round a comment like: '360 was made with rubbish and used toilet rolls' without assuming the originator of the comment must a Sony plant, and feeling personally insulted. Somewhere in their minds it goes like thisL Erm? Nazi's are evil, but yeah, I never voted Communist. ooh good, well done, cigars all round. Nice job -- missing the point.

The 360 is a very mediocre console, with some very above average games and the PS3 is little better, if, probably, a little worse. That, shockingly, wasn't my point. (aside from the fact my launch day, used everyday, PS3 hasn't broken down catastrophically three times since February 2007) No indeed. The point was that those cheap idiots at Microsoft produced a mediocre console. The 360 was as far as you could push silicon in 2005, in the same way the Jag and the 3Do were as far as you could push silicon in 1993. The SNES and the MD were technologically advanced and they don't fail. The fact remains, my 3DO (used everyday, I promise) has never failed and my 360 used to play PGR4 and AC6 and to occasionally lament modern gaming every so often, failed, like the cheap piece if cr*p that it is. This is not a religious blasphemy.

That was the point. (I will move on to criticizing the PS3 later.)

Although what's apparent is that the problem is not Xbots or indeed SonyFanboyz it's those that seek to garner support by touting the 'I hate Sony' punch line.

;)
I Don't think anyone would disagree that the 360 is poorly made. It's not the first console to have similar problems, or the first time gamers have had to endure such 'hardships' (as most pc gamers will no doubt know). But i'd have a console that does have problems, which the company has recognised and are willing to fix, with one of the best lineup of games and other features over other consoles that have a weaker library of games. (and no i'm not mentioning any one console - I think with the exception of the DC (imo, as is so much in these forums, which perhaps people need to bear in mind) every console falls short of triple A titles compared to the 360).

Oh, and reacting with hatred over Microsoft producing a product that may not be top notch? Come on, I think we can all agree that we should of known better before thinking they wouldn't ;)

Also, calling gamers thick skulled idiots is not exactly fairplay is it. You posted a comment - we responded. If you didn't want people who don't think the 360 is the spawn of the devil to respond then don't post it in a public forum. Of course, there could have been an element of sarcasm in the post, and if so, I reply with a big :P
Image

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by will2097 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:35 pm

You are from Leicester and you have an Initial D sig, I feel I should know you, but for some reason you're an idiot. And wrong.

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by will2097 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Space_turnip wrote: Also, calling gamers thick skulled idiots is not exactly fairplay is it. You posted a comment - we responded. If you didn't want people who don't think the 360 is the spawn of the devil to respond then don't post it in a public forum. Of course, there could have been an element of sarcasm in the post, and if so, I reply with a big :P
aside from the fact I'm on the geekest gaming forum on earth, posted a picture of uber geeky games consoles and bitched on about something most normal humans couldn't give a monkeys about... ;)

Gamers are thick-skulled munchkins though.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:40 pm

Joey by name, Joey by nature ;)
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Joey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:42 pm

will2097 wrote:You are from Leicester and you have an Initial D sig, I feel I should know you, but for some reason you're an idiot. And wrong.
Lol im an idiot because i enjoy playing the 360 like many other people?
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Space Giraffe Vs Tempest 2000.

Jaguar wins :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by thevulture » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Geekest forum on earth? :wink:

I dunno...some pretty stiff competition out there :lol: .

Thing with the cartridge based machines is they had NO moving parts. Far less to go wrong, much simpler electronics.

Very robust.

Now? machines have optical drives, powerful CPU`s, graphics chips etc etc. All generating heat, which has to go somewhere.

MS cut a lot of corners to get their machine out 1st. Sony made a hellva lot of mistakes on their part.

Fact is NO-ONE in the industry today has learnt from the mistakes made by Sega, Atari, Commodore etc over the years past.

The gaming public still buys into pointless tech.demo`s, comparison charts etc. The fanboy element no different, in fact damn sight stronger 'thanks' to the internet.

The more things change...more they stay the same.

User avatar
Space_turnip
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Yate, Bristol

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:53 pm

will2097 wrote:
Space_turnip wrote: Also, calling gamers thick skulled idiots is not exactly fairplay is it. You posted a comment - we responded. If you didn't want people who don't think the 360 is the spawn of the devil to respond then don't post it in a public forum. Of course, there could have been an element of sarcasm in the post, and if so, I reply with a big :P
aside from the fact I'm on the geekest gaming forum on earth, posted a picture of uber geeky games consoles and bitched on about something most normal humans couldn't give a monkeys about... ;)

Gamers are thick-skulled munchkins though.
I resent this forum being called the geekest gaming forum on earth! Have you ever seen a Cosplay forum? Compared to them, we're all super-cool.
Image

User avatar
Mire Mare
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 am
Location: onboard the Stellar Patrol Ship Feinstein

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:33 pm

It's not exactly rubbish. Despite the reliability issues of early machines, I've had one experience of the rrod in just over 2 years ownership, the 360 is now one of the finest consoles ever manufactured. Physically it doesn't look great though the Elite is ok and MS have been guilty of poor build quality but the warranty is now for 3 years and the turn around to repair/replace is about a week so I don't really think it's a big deal. MS have put a system in place to rectify the problems quickly.

There are so many great retail and downloadable games available and 2nd hand prices can be very cheap indeed. I don't want a PS3 because I have a 360. However, if I had a ps3 I know I'd want a 360.

Noise isn't an issue since the advent of installing to the HDD. A superb move by MS. Shame Crackdown won't install. I don't think I'll ever finish it.

Space Giraffe vs Tempest 2000 is a no brainer, though I still think Space Giraffe is great. But if Jeff Minter decided to put Tempest 2000 on xbla, like that would be worthwhile, does that mean the 360 then beats the Jaguar? :roll: :lol:

User avatar
gmintyfresh
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Leeds England
Contact:

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by gmintyfresh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

will2097 wrote:
Space_turnip wrote: Also, calling gamers thick skulled idiots is not exactly fairplay is it. You posted a comment - we responded. If you didn't want people who don't think the 360 is the spawn of the devil to respond then don't post it in a public forum. Of course, there could have been an element of sarcasm in the post, and if so, I reply with a big :P
aside from the fact I'm on the geekest gaming forum on earth, posted a picture of uber geeky games consoles and bitched on about something most normal humans couldn't give a monkeys about... ;)

Gamers are thick-skulled munchkins though.
You must have realised that when you posted this thread with the title you did that you'd create some kind of backlash. There's nothing wrong with this it creates discussion it's just a shame the conversation descended into personal attacks.

User avatar
WildWillyWilson
Posts: 2090
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne-UK.

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:05 pm

thevulture wrote:Geekest forum on earth? :wink:

I dunno...some pretty stiff competition out there :lol: .

Thing with the cartridge based machines is they had NO moving parts. Far less to go wrong, much simpler electronics.

Very robust.

Now? machines have optical drives, powerful CPU`s, graphics chips etc etc. All generating heat, which has to go somewhere.

MS cut a lot of corners to get their machine out 1st. Sony made a hellva lot of mistakes on their part.

Fact is NO-ONE in the industry today has learnt from the mistakes made by Sega, Atari, Commodore etc over the years past.

The gaming public still buys into pointless tech.demo`s, comparison charts etc. The fanboy element no different, in fact damn sight stronger 'thanks' to the internet.

The more things change...more they stay the same.
^^ Like he says...

User avatar
EvilArmourKing
Posts: 2869
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Mishima Zaibatsu HQ
Contact:

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:22 pm

Team Alfie wrote:I thought all Jaguar CDs were supposed to be dead by now? That's what AVGN wants us all to believe anyway.

I still haven't got a 360 and I'll wait now to see if it gets a redesign when they bring out the Natal package next year. These are the conditions it needs to meet to please me. 1. Get rid of that massive, unsightly power brick and tidy its ass up like the PS3. 2. Shut its loud mouth. 3. Come with built-in wireless internet connection. 4. Be more reliable, obviously.

I'm ready to buy a 360 whenever Microsoft gets around to finishing it.
I'm ready to buy a 360 whenever Microsoft gets around to releasing Killer Instinct on XBLA

Anyways, I thought the Elite versions stopped the RROD syndrome. No??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

User avatar
Space_turnip
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Yate, Bristol

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:40 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
I'm ready to buy a 360 whenever Microsoft gets around to releasing Killer Instinct on XBLA

Anyways, I thought the Elite versions stopped the RROD syndrome. No??
Nah. I've seen 2 mates have RROD on their Elites, so it's not entirely gone away. I'd say the failure rate is only about the same as other consoles now though. Mine's fine since buying it, even sounds a lot nicer.
Image

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2497
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by STranger81 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:33 am

Space_turnip wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:
I'm ready to buy a 360 whenever Microsoft gets around to releasing Killer Instinct on XBLA

Anyways, I thought the Elite versions stopped the RROD syndrome. No??
Nah. I've seen 2 mates have RROD on their Elites, so it's not entirely gone away. I'd say the failure rate is only about the same as other consoles now though. Mine's fine since buying it, even sounds a lot nicer.
Yeah my mate got the ring of death on his elite which was only 3 months old. Ive had my 360 for over 2 years, its had tons of use and never had any problems with it.

Id never heard about the ring of death or anything else when I bought a 360. In fact I only went current gen to (initally) play one game, Skate. The shop I bought it from had both 360s and PS3s in stock, but only had Skate on the 360, and I was too hungover to be bothered to go anywhere else.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by thevulture » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 am

The jasper chip set and later revisions just reduce the chance of the 3 red rings. They are smaller, produce less heat etc. They have not eliminated the issue.

Seem to recall the media having a field day at the time MS did much trumpeting of the new jasper chipped Elites, when one red ringed at a trade show MS was showing them off at. :oops:

Also, you have the graphics chip failure issue.

On the flip side?-I know a good few friends who had the Blue Ray drives on their 60G model PS3`s fail....

So, really is a case of anything can happen to either machine.

I had god knows how many dreamcast consoles suffer the reset issue, 1st game cube i had would overheat and reset.

went through 3 Atari 800Xl`s, 1 ST due to chip failures, 1st Mega-CD i had was faulty out of the box.

So who do i rant at?. :wink:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests