360 really is rubbish.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

360 really is rubbish.

Post by will2097 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I was never a big fan of the 360. ... but Ace Combat 6 and PGR 4 lulled me into a false sense of security, but after three resuscitation attempts I declare the 360 a pile of unreliable cheaply made rubbish!

There is simply no excuse for this poorly made rubbish (and yes I replaced the lens in my PS1 and PS2)

I hope the head of Xbox catches Gonorrhea and dies. Painfully. The tw*t. What a waste of money that 360 was. I should have replayed the PS2 originals.

Britpop95

Re: 360 really is rubbish.

Post by Britpop95 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Well it is a poor show, no doubt. I always find it odd to hear of failing 360's yet all of my old machines still work - i'm talking Amstrad CPC, ST, Amiga, SNES (etc) - and they have all had extremely heavy rotation over the years.

I'm now on my third 360 although only the first (circa 2006) had the old red lights flashing away like a demon. The other one I sold last year before coming to the US didn't have any issues and neither does the machine that i've picked up since arriving here.

Intentionally manufactured with one eye shut in order to generate more money through repairs and re-purchases, perhaps?

Who would have such cynical views? :wink:
Into the Wonderful

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Its the noise they make that annoys me the most, alongside the fact that it feels like it is made of tin foil and chewing gum when lifted.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:51 pm

360 is the greastest ever console. An absolutely stunning machine that is only let down by its mechanical failures. Still gets 10 times more use than my PS3 and is going stong after 3 and a bit years.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:53 pm

SirClive wrote:360 is the greastest ever console. An absolutely stunning machine that is only let down by its mechanical failures. Still gets 10 times more use than my PS3 and is going stong after 3 and a bit years.
You shouldn't have said that :shock:

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:53 pm

It boils down to this:

Rush to beat sony to the market 1st, corners cut on hardware design.

Even with external power brick, lot of heat generated inside, poor cooling system, poor placement of DVD drive, means it runs risk of getting hot inside. The GPU has some 200 bits of solder holding it in place, all it takes is for just 1 bit to get a tad too warm,go soft-3 Red ring time.

Even after numerous chip redesigns etc-we see issue reduced, NOT eliminated.

Also...startling number of people having the scaler/graphics chip fail.

I AM a 360 owner, love the machine, but MS really did do a hatchet job on this, design wise, compared to my 'Anything short of a near miss from a nuclear blast and it will still run', Original XBOX. :lol:

Also-Just snapped a game disc in half this afternoon, PS3 one-as it`s the latest in a long string of games( on both ps3+360) to have an autosave feature, which i cannot turn off, yet when it saves? Data gets corrupted and game refuses to load.

This one? was brand new Disc? spotless been going for all of an hour. Suppose i was lucky it did`nt freeze my ps3 up like so many others did.

Took a photo of disc, before and after snapping and load error screen and sent them to the technical support dept. in question, with email saying:

'Thought i`d save us both the trouble of you emailing me back asking me to check disc for scratches etc' Maybe your lot could release game code that`s ready to use, not just ready for a deadline. :evil:

Thank god i 'only' wasted £10 on it.-Bit of a stupid thing to do, but felt sooo much better after.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Can i post THAT photo. up on the Official 360 magazine web site? Please............ :lol:

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Hey Will? You love your PS3, and hate the 360. We get it.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:02 pm

After hearing all the 360 horror stories I'm almost scared to play on mine... I've had my PS3 for over a year now and use it quite excessively compared to the 360/Wii, and it still runs like a dream.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:07 pm

I love you, 3DOKid, and I love your website and I love the 3DO, but I was convinced that one day, I'd get a 360. It just seemed like the best option out of the main three things that are out now.

Now I'm scared, haven't they fixed that problem yet?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:08 pm

I've been through quite a few of them (lost count of how many) and i've had so much trouble with them its unbelievable. Fantastic library of games, great online service, decent pad, but it really is an unrealiable piece of sh!t!
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:12 pm

If I HAD to get a current-gen console (I'm really not keen on doing so hence why I haven't got one of the HD machines) I'd go for a PS3. Sony hardware has yet to fail on me despite constant use over many years and I've never had the problems with dodgy PS1/PS2 lasers that some people report.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:If I HAD to get a current-gen console (I'm really not keen on doing so hence why I haven't got one of the HD machines) I'd go for a PS3. Sony hardware has yet to fail on me despite constant use over many years and I've never had the problems with dodgy PS1/PS2 lasers that some people report.
Reliable hardware isn't much use without decent games ;)

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:22 pm

I thought all Jaguar CDs were supposed to be dead by now? That's what AVGN wants us all to believe anyway.

I still haven't got a 360 and I'll wait now to see if it gets a redesign when they bring out the Natal package next year. These are the conditions it needs to meet to please me. 1. Get rid of that massive, unsightly power brick and tidy its ass up like the PS3. 2. Shut its loud mouth. 3. Come with built-in wireless internet connection. 4. Be more reliable, obviously.

I'm ready to buy a 360 whenever Microsoft gets around to finishing it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:26 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:
Megamixer wrote:If I HAD to get a current-gen console (I'm really not keen on doing so hence why I haven't got one of the HD machines) I'd go for a PS3. Sony hardware has yet to fail on me despite constant use over many years and I've never had the problems with dodgy PS1/PS2 lasers that some people report.
Reliable hardware isn't much use without decent games ;)
I can think of plenty of games that I'd get on PS3:

Uncharted
Heavenly Sword
Street Fighter IV
King of Fighters XII
Blazblue
Battle Fantasia
Grand Theft Auto IV
Motorstorm
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Killzone 2
Cross Edge
Disgaea 3

To name a few.

Plus loads of other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head. Yeah, some may be multiplatform stuff but they're still games for PS3 that I'd be interested in, regardless of quality/review scores.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.