Cassette 50

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

seanmcmanus

Re: Cassette 50

Post by seanmcmanus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:26 am

I quite liked Cassette 50 - about a third to half of it was good stuff. Even if you only counted the good games, it was only 62p per game and you got a cool free watch too.

Nothing stunningly original on it, but there were some good versions of some classic games. I remember playing a truck driving game (business strategy type game), a platform game, an adventure game and clones of Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Draughts, Reversi, and Fireman quite a bit. I learned quite a bit by hacking them apart too and checking out the Basic/machine code.

Perhaps the Amstrad version was better than the others. Wouldn't surprise me... :-)

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:43 pm

seanmcmanus wrote:Perhaps the Amstrad version was better than the others. Wouldn't surprise me... :-)
It would've come a bit later than the others, most of 'em came out in 1983 and the CPC wasn't released until a year later so the programmers had a bit of time to catch up! Have you got an image of it by any chance...?

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:05 pm

no it was awful !

hangman, reversi, connect 4 etc

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:00 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Surely this release has to go down as one of the most unique in gaming history. Never before , since , or in the future are there ever likely to be 50 never-before-seen games released on one compilation.
You've obviously never come across my Blitz50 collection then ..... :D

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 am

I dug out my retro games box last night and tried to go through as many of these as I could stomach.

In it's defence, the version of frogger is actually sort of playable!

Also it had a game with some weird bond villain style crushing contraption that got closer every time you got a maths question wrong. It wouldn't have been out of place on one of those DS brain training games. 25 odd years ahead of it's time that one.

Though to be honest I got about ten or eleven games in & the opportunity cost of spending my very limited free time playing these games got to me in the end & I stuck my megadrive on & played Thunderforce 3 for probably the quadrillionth time!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue