How do you keep track of your collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Seadog74

Re: How do you keep track of your collection

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 am

With great difficulty.
Ps1, Ps2 and Gamecube games are lined up on shelves. Cpc and Amiga games are all in large boxes. The Monkey Island bounty pack also sits proud on the shelf.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 am

I remember everything I have, except the other day when I couldn't remember whether I had James Pond II for the Mega Drive (nope).

Other than that, I keep a .txt file and use Playfire as well. There it is, underneath my signature!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:54 pm

I keep tripping over it.

To explain, I'm currently sifting through my collection to get rid of stuff I don't want so most of it is stacked in a corner of my room. Sadly, being clumsy, I keep knocking into the pile.

Normally though I just store the information in my head. I have a partially eidetic memory (or whatever it's called). If I see a game for sale I can know for certain if I have it, even if it's a Spectrum game of which I have hundreds.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:03 pm

I look around my games room - and there it is. Nothing is boxed away and everything is in alphabetical order for each system. Added about 350 of my games to playfire and then gave up, may finish it one day.

doogs

Post by doogs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Chinnico wrote:
I am using Game Collector from collectorz.com since a few years - it was versioin 2.something at that time.
It was already quite powerful, but it has improved steadily.

I find it very useful and user friendly. I now own more than 1500 games, but when I started using GC, I already had a few hundreds, so I bought their barcode scanner to process tenths of games in a single go. It worked quite nicely.
Their database has also grown a lot. Of course, the software not having been developed for retrogamers only, you'll find that the most and more complete entries in the database are those of the more recent games (I'd say current and last gen), but, thanks also to the user's efforts, a lot of retro stuff has also been included with a decent amount of detail.
The software has a nice interface, has customisable queries, you can build your own layout for displaying records (provided you know xml language, which I don't). There are a few useful features, like exporting (html, to iPod...), carousel management (Yikes!), building wish lists...
Each game is characterised by a large number of fields, some of which customisable (for exmaple, I use a couple of them to mark the storage shelf position of the box in my room).
I liked very much also the feature of loan management. I lend a lot of games to friends, and that't the only way I could keep track of what I lent, when and to who.
The customer supprot is very efficient and they quickly reply to issues. Recently they've been trying (quite succesfully, I'd say) to build a sort of 'collector's community'.

Before using Game Collector, I tried building a list in IGN.com, but it was too slow and lacked too many games.
I also tried using another couple of free softwares and in the end collectorz.com was my choice. Maybe now there's better stuff around, but for now I am happy with this one.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I see they do a trial version - I think I might give it a go and see what its like.

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:13 pm

I don't, but really should start some sort of data base. Too many Jap dreamcast games i can't prenaunce

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't keep track at all but I should start doing so.
I'm considering doing either a spreadsheet or a database.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:23 am

Spreadsheet for me.

Dead easy.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:33 am

I used to have a big database that listed what I had, whether it had the box and manual, and whether I'd beaten it or not. Unfortunately, my laptop died and took Microsoft Office with it...

At the moment, I keep track of games I've bought on a little text file, which I also use to write notes about games I'm playing at the moment- it's quite useful as it's a grab-bag of tips for loads of games, with the section on Strider being very useful... Although any really hard games usually get notes in the form of various obscenities.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:38 am

I tend to look at my shelf.

If it's overflowing with games I haven't played in a while, it's time to get rid of some.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:07 am

i dont keep any track of my collection, i just put them on the shelf as the same format (ie Famicom stuff together etc) and in boxes.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:21 am

For sheer simplicity I have always used either Word or TextEdit but it all looks rather plain so I might start using a proper database soon.
Into the Wonderful

Saijin Spooker

Post by Saijin Spooker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 am

I completly agree about Game Collector! I've been using it for a while now and it's amazing. There are a few games that I've had to add manualy, but most of the titles are added automatically.

Highly recomended!

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:35 am

Spreadsheet, which tells me that today i currently own 444 games, which i think means i need to stand on one leg of something (its a cricket thing)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 pm

firebreather wrote:Spreadsheet, which tells me that today i currently own 444 games, which i think means i need to stand on one leg of something (its a cricket thing)
Cricket? As of this morning, I now have 666 games. Does this mean I have to sacrifice a goat or something?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.