How do you keep track of your collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

doogs

How do you keep track of your collection

Post by doogs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:30 am

As the subject above, how do you keep track of your collection?

The topic http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=16191 inspired me to think about this.

At the moment, I don't keep track but maybe I should!

So, do you use a spreadheet, notepaper and pen, database or is it all in your head?

Looking for helpful ideas and suggestions.

Cheers,
Doogs

DPrinny

Re: How do you keep track of your collection

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:33 am

In my brain.

Cant remember names, phone numbers or birthdays
But can remember when I bought my consoles and games
(also maps)

I did try writing down what I have but the computer blew up.

You could try cataloging what you have via a spread sheet

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:58 am

spreadsheet+brain. I.e, I have a list of all the games I have, it's color coded, condition colums, the percentage of a complete collection, the average of how much I spend a month and my budget is on there too. Also use brain in the way that if I see a game I don't have, I know I don't have it and vice versa.

Geek power! 8)
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:13 am

Spreadsheets mainly to keep track of my overall collection, how many games I have for each and which ones I have completed (and in the instance of multiple difficulties etc. which difficulties I've cleared the said game on). I also keep separate sheets for my 2 "main" collections (Capcom and Megaman) which are slightly more in depth - which package variant, collectors editions I have as well as the overall condition of the games (I've probably got my entire Megaman collection commited to memory though!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:37 am

I use Gamespot to keep a full list of my games.

Recently I've been using spreadsheets so I know how many games I have for a couple of systems - DC & N64. The idea of having a % complete is a top banana, I dunno how I never thought of that :D
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 am

http://backloggery.com/rossdp

Simple as that. It reminds me what games I've beaten, finished, or left incomplete. Still plenty to add though: my mammoth N64, GBA, Wii and Mega Drive collections haven't been added yet. Mainly because I can't be arsed!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 am

Roo wrote:http://backloggery.com/rossdp

Simple as that. It reminds me what games I've beaten, finished, or left incomplete. Still plenty to add though: my mammoth N64, GBA, Wii and Mega Drive collections haven't been added yet. Mainly because I can't be arsed!
Coming up
I use that to list every thing I have played

Its gonna be My anime list all over again

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:42 am

I use playfire for it, it's great and improving really fast! Here's my whole collection!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:43 am

Nice clean interface, I like that :D
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:50 am

DPrinny wrote:
Roo wrote:http://backloggery.com/rossdp

Coming up
I use that to list every thing I have played

Its gonna be My anime list all over again

Wot no Venus Wars?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

doogs

Post by doogs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:52 am

Has anyone tried the game collector sofware? http://www.collectorz.com/game/

Any other bespoke game databases out there?

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 am

I was thinking about making my own program. But I'm lazy so I just keep txt files for now ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 am

So far I don't like The Backloggery as I have to type the names of the game in and not select them from a list
Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote: Wot no Venus Wars?
There are gaps in my mind.
I might have

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:16 am

doogs wrote:Has anyone tried the game collector sofware? http://www.collectorz.com/game/

Any other bespoke game databases out there?
I am using Game Collector from collectorz.com since a few years - it was versioin 2.something at that time.
It was already quite powerful, but it has improved steadily.

I find it very useful and user friendly. I now own more than 1500 games, but when I started using GC, I already had a few hundreds, so I bought their barcode scanner to process tenths of games in a single go. It worked quite nicely.
Their database has also grown a lot. Of course, the software not having been developed for retrogamers only, you'll find that the most and more complete entries in the database are those of the more recent games (I'd say current and last gen), but, thanks also to the user's efforts, a lot of retro stuff has also been included with a decent amount of detail.
The software has a nice interface, has customisable queries, you can build your own layout for displaying records (provided you know xml language, which I don't). There are a few useful features, like exporting (html, to iPod...), carousel management (Yikes!), building wish lists...
Each game is characterised by a large number of fields, some of which customisable (for exmaple, I use a couple of them to mark the storage shelf position of the box in my room).
I liked very much also the feature of loan management. I lend a lot of games to friends, and that't the only way I could keep track of what I lent, when and to who.
The customer supprot is very efficient and they quickly reply to issues. Recently they've been trying (quite succesfully, I'd say) to build a sort of 'collector's community'.

Before using Game Collector, I tried building a list in IGN.com, but it was too slow and lacked too many games.
I also tried using another couple of free softwares and in the end collectorz.com was my choice. Maybe now there's better stuff around, but for now I am happy with this one.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:58 am

I just remember them. Basically, I couldn't tell you everything I own off the top of my head but if I was shown a game/given a name of a game, I could tell you if I had it and what format(s) I own it for.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.