Voice acting in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

revgiblet

Voice acting in games

Post by revgiblet » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:01 am

OK, I hope you're all aware of the www.audioatrocities.com site. I want to know quite why voice acting is so poor in some games - namely the ones that have been translated from Japanese.

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 recently and it's been a little bit spoilt by the voice acting. The acting itself is OK - especially compared to a certain other game in the RE series - but it's the translation that is a bit wrong.

Ashley spouts the now prolific 'Don't come!' instead of 'Stay away!' and Leon even gets the line "Faith and money will get you nowhere, Saddler!" which sounds like it should be a witty reparte, but in reality is just gibberish.

As for Ashley's line about the relevance of her figure and standing after Luis compliments her on her 'ballistics' - that just doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Anyway, my point is - is there anyone who is involved enough in the games industry to know why the English speaking voice actors don't just say "Hang on, this doesn't work. Don't you mean this..." and improve the quality of the game?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:43 am

resident evil 1 has the worst LOL especially the dialogues between barry and jill SO FUNNY

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:50 pm

I actually like the crappy voices. :o I'd be a bit miffed if I bought a new game with decent actors doing the characters voices.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:56 pm

Worst i came across recently are the voices in Knights of the Old Republic on the Xbox - cringing behind the sofa to some to that "acting"!

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:39 pm

I nominate the original Shenmue. The most amusing part was buying those collectable capsule toys. Anybody who remembers, join with me here:

'MEBBEEEE AH SHOOOD GET ANUVVARRRR'

Closely followed by:

'TELL ME UH GAMBORRRRR'
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:06 pm

David Duchovny in Area 51 was useless. He just drones on about losing his humanity etc on the loading screen. Was he even human to begin with, I mean, in real life, because he sure as hell doesn't sound like it?
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:40 pm

Hungry Horace wrote:I nominate the original Shenmue. The most amusing part was buying those collectable capsule toys. Anybody who remembers, join with me here:

Closely followed by:

'TELL ME UH GAMBORRRRR'
To be fair, it does have a great moment when our hero asks where he can find some sailors. :lol:
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:50 am

koopa42 wrote:resident evil 1 has the worst LOL especially the dialogues between barry and jill SO FUNNY
Mmmm...Jill sandwich...

Going retro for a second, I remember some of the translation work on an old Amiga game called 'Perihelion' left something to be desired. It was a Psygnosis game, but I wonder if it had been translated from French. It was a really atmospheric game but then all of a sudden a text box would pop up that said something like "There be blood smeared all over the wall" or something that kind of spoilt the moment.

Still a great game though.

JennyTablina

Re:

Post by JennyTablina » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:37 am

Hungry Horace wrote:I nominate the original Shenmue. The most amusing part was buying those collectable capsule toys. Anybody who remembers, join with me here:

Closely followed by:

'TELL ME UH GAMBORRRRR'
"I'm looking for some sailors :|"

"I see"

How Ryu can say these lines so seriously is amusing

The Sonic series has some equally poor voice acting. Like Sonic's first proper line in Sonic Adventure

"AW YEAH, THIS IS REALLY HAPPENIN" or the part not long after where he says
"Look out Tails your gonna crash ahhh" like hes reading from the script

Or, and this is the worst line ever, from the ending of Heroes

Metal Sonic/Overlord: Why? Why cant I defeat you?

Sonic: BECAUSE WE'RE SONIC HEROES :DDDDD

Hungry Horace

Re:

Post by Hungry Horace » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:19 am

JennyTablina wrote:

Closely followed by:

'TELL ME UH GAMBORRRRR'
"I'm looking for some sailors :|"

"I see"

How Ryu can say these lines so seriously is amusing
Yes, it was like some Village People nightmare on the screen. I was expecting to have a colossal melee with the Indian, construction worker and biker; but the game decided against it.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:11 am

JennyTablina wrote:...like hes reading from the script...
I felt the same about the original Tomb Raider on PS1. While the voices seemed well suited to the characters, they seemed to "overlayed", not fitting in with the action.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:13 am

Metal Gear Solid. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mei Ling: A wise man once said th....

Snake: Shut the f**k up biatch and save my game. :evil:

James A

Post by James A » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:32 pm

Forbidden Sirren on the PS2. A great atmospheric game destroyed by the fact the voice actors all have the worst cockney accents ever. Not the thing you want when the games set in a Japanesse village. What were they thinking?

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:29 am

James A wrote:Forbidden Sirren on the PS2. A great atmospheric game destroyed by the fact the voice actors all have the worst cockney accents ever. Not the thing you want when the games set in a Japanesse village. What were they thinking?
even worse than censored van Dyke in "MEEEEEEEEEERRRRYYYYYYYY Poppins"???!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:19 pm

How about Sega Rally?

Game Over, Yeah! :lol: :lol: