Voice acting in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:19 am

The early Tomb Raider games, especially the tutorial levels:

'Welcommm to mah hawmmmm. Aye am Lara. Nahhh wahhhk me too thaaa line...'

Horrendous plum voice blasphemy.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

lahdbr

Post by lahdbr » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:41 am

Crappy voice acting can be annoying in some games, expecially RPG's. But most of the time it is funny -> and such titles as Escape From Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight 3 are good examples of games that have great voice acting. It flows and even though you pretty much here the characters voice every second of the game it is great cause you never get sick of it. But other games like (as mentioned) Resident Evil -> which follow a similar game style are terrible because it is serious and you are meant to be taking clues from the FMV's not trying to prevent your sides from splitting.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:50 pm

Perfect Dark on the N64 anyone?

Fantastic game, but dreadful voice acting. :lol:

The voices of Mr Blonde and Elvis were the worst, but they were all pretty bad and had lousy lines of dialogue at one time or another.

space_ace

Re: Voice acting in games

Post by space_ace » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Always amazed that they never had some proof-checking all the dialogue before they were released.

The same could be said for early arcade video games - it was all "CHALLENGE NOW FOR EXCITING FIGHT!" and things; there should have been someone there who knew a bit about our fine language surely?

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Johnny Yong Bosch is in loads. He is very good at what he does, but when you hear his voice so often it's hard not to think of other characters he has played. Takes a lot away from character's when you associate that voice with somebody else

Makes it worse if you watch anime (with English dubs)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:40 pm

I never actually noticed how bad Resident Evil was when I was younger, the novelty of having actual voices was good enough. It is very obvious that Capcom Japan just grabbed a handful of white guys and girls based on if they looked like the characters rather than any acting experience though. Wasn't there a DS game where the head of the localisaiton team got his family to record all the voiceovers?

Treguard

Re:

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Perfect Dark on the N64 anyone?

Fantastic game, but dreadful voice acting. :lol:

The voices of Mr Blonde and Elvis were the worst, but they were all pretty bad and had lousy lines of dialogue at one time or another.
you didn't enjoy Elvis's comments such as 'grawaaahgh' 'ooohhhaaarrhhgggghh' and the seminal 'It's all going wrong!'

I find I remember samples from back in the day more than any modern atrocities, simply because they were less common and so I guess more noticeable. I can still get a smile in the office by mumbling 'WISE FWOM YOUW GWAVE!!' in the style of Altered Beast.