List of comic book video game adaptions.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JetSetWilly

List of comic book video game adaptions.

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Evening All. As you all know (well, some of you), I've started to collect games based on comic books (mainly as I love the characters, stories and the series' anyway). A couple of you have helped me out (you know who you are. Cheers, again) in aquireing them. What I want to know, is there anywhere on t'internet that has a complete list of ALL known comic book video games (i.e Spiderman, X-Men, Captain America) or does anyone on here have a list of them, as trying to find them (and then forgetting what I'm looking for) is getting on my preverbials :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

headcaseGames

Re: List of comic book video game adaptions.

Post by headcaseGames » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:16 pm

ah! I am sure gamespot or someone has done a feature about this, at some point.
Generally comic adaptions are like film adaptions - pooped out to make $, not too concerned with quality, though once in awhile you'll find some gold. Here'sa quick list off the top of my head to get you started.

Superman and Spider-Man appeared on Atari 2600. Not wonderful games in hindsight, but at least Spidey was fairly enjoyable for what it was, at the time.

NES -
Superman game was gross (like a retarded Megaman).
Batman game by Sunsoft, excellent, and a decent follow-up as well was "Return of the Joker"
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Technically based on the cartoon, but it started life as a comic book! There were at least 3 TMNT games on NES, all of them had their fans. The first one was all-original, 2nd one was a port of the hugely successful arcade, and 3rd "The Manhattan Project" sort of a sequel to that..
Silver Surfer - legendarily difficult side-scrolling shooter
Spider-man vs the Sinister Six - released later in the lifespan of the NES, looked kinda crappy.
X-Men game by LJN, you'd be better off killing yourself than playing this. Seriously.

ARCADE -
Superman arcade by Taito, a strange beat'em up. Not very wonderful
Batman arcade by Atari, interesting and worth a look (at the time) but not as good as the console games, overall forgettable.
Spider-Man by Sega, another beat'em up, sort of Final Fight style. Looked nice, but nothing very noteworthy.
Captain America and the Avengers by Data East, similar play style to Spider-Man arcade I guess, though this game was quite popular and ported to home consoles. Never did much for me though.
X-Men arcade by Konami - a mammoth 6-player machine in the TMNT style of gameplay.
X-Men vs Street Fighter by Capcom, and later Marvel vs Capcom - should speak for itself really.
The Punisher by Capcom - another Final Fight reskin, essentially
The 2 TMNT games, definitely a landmark in arcade history.

SEGA GENESIS -
Batman by Sunsoft, different than the NES title, not as good but still quite fun (and great AV at the time!)
Batman Returns by Sega, they made a cartidge and an enhanced version for the Sega CD (3D driving missions) - never played it but it all looked kinda sloppy.
Spider-Man by Sega - a game which meant well, it was sort of fun at the time but overall a sloppy and pretty crappy game, don't waste your time
Spider-Man Web of Fire - notorious as the final release for the 32X add-on, I think it received a very small print one and is therefore quite hard to find, I am sure the game can't be much better than it's predecessor however.
Superman - looks like it was developed by the same house at Batman, but doesn't look as good, I never played it.
Hulk - isometric Hulk game (huh?), it didn't look very inspiring so I avoided it.
X-Men - there were two X-Men games developed by Sega, I never played either but they were somewhat popular at the time.
TMNT - The Hyperstone Heist, an adaptation of the popular arcade style of games

SUPER NINTENDO -
Batman Returns by Konami - ripoff of the Final Fight gameplay style, but very nice audio and video, still a good looking title even now.
Spider-man and X-men in Revenge of Arcade (or something like that) - think it may have released for Genesis as well. Action game where you conquer different levels as different characters, it was alright at the time! Good looking GFX.
Justice League Task Force - SF2 styled brawler by Blizzard, of all people!
TMNT Tournament Fighters, also appeared on Genesis (very different version) - also a SF2 knockoff
TMNT Turtles in Time - popular adaptation of the arcade brawler.

GAMEBOY -
Batman was a very early title by Sunsoft, kind of mario-ish but with a gun. They made a sequel as well which was also fun.
Spider-man by Rare, a strange game that was enjoyable at the time (hasn't aged so well!)
A few TMNT games, of course

GAMEBOY ADVANCE -
Iron Man, an action game by some AUS house, it looked kinda cartoony
TMNT games, yet again.

anyway we all know there were other games on computers - C64 + sinclair, etc, but there's probably a healthy lion's share of the games up there to keep you occupied. Never minding the stuff which has released since that's not considered retrogaming...
Mobile Gaming Developer HeadcaseGames.com
Come see what is the RetroGame of the Day!
Follow us at twitter.com/headcaseGames

thl

Post by thl » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Does manga count?

As it's a big list, here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... e_or_manga

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 pm

In the future, I'll include it yes. At the mo, just generic stuff.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:27 am

The bloke aboves list was pretty good, one's that he missed out that I noticed

NES

There's definately a specific wolverine game
There was a Captain America and the Avengers game (different to arcade version)

Master System

Batman Returns (I think this was exclusive version, it's kind of like a difficult version of Bionic Commando)
The Flash - It's alright, I think it's an exclusive too
Asterix - Awesome game

Mega Drive

Captain America and the avengers (arcade port)
Chakan
Judge Dredd
Punisher
Wolverine Adamantium Rage
Death and Return of Superman

Also the Spider-man game on the Mega Drive is amazing, it's only problem is that shock horror, it takes longer than a couple of minutes to learn how to play :roll:

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

headcaseGames

Post by headcaseGames » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:01 am

yeah the MD spidey wasn't "bad," it just wasn't super-hot in my eyes (the mags at the time were making it sound like it was gonna play like Strider or something). It was good enough for me to want to play thru the whole thing, and the levels/layouts were interesting enough. Something about the controls and the graphics and effects made it feel kinda half-baked though. There was an adaptation on sega master system as well - I'd actually be interested in checking that out.

Some more I forgot-

Marvel:War of the Gems on SNES
Japanese Super Famicom had their own unique Spider-man game as well which never released here. It actually feels kind of cool, I didn't get far into it.
Gameboy had a Flash title as well
Punisher on NES (Operation Wolf-style, or Dead Angle-style if you prefer)
Cant believe I forgot the Tick, I know it showed up on MD, not sure if it did on SNES though.
SNES also got some Image Cmics games like WildCATS and Prime and other forgettable trash. I dunno if there was a Spawn title.
I wanna say maybe a Swamp Thing game might have surfaced (pun intended) for Game Gear or... something? Maybe?
Felix the Cat on NES (I believe it was a comic before a cartoon)
There were a couple more shitty Batman games on NES and Genesis (32x?)

I don't think I would recommend trying to collect Japanese Manga-based games as well since, then, you're starting to truly open a new can of worms (hundreds of titles you never even heard of!) That's just me though. Could play it safe with things like Dragon Ball Z (Dragon Power on NES), Fist of the North Star (also NES but dunno if they called it that) - and it was on MD as Last Battle. I think Akira released on Game Gear, and Appleseed showed up on SFC. Tons of Ranma 1/2 games. Even the Strider games were based off a manga. But yeah that's just the tip of the iceberg down that route.
Mobile Gaming Developer HeadcaseGames.com
Come see what is the RetroGame of the Day!
Follow us at twitter.com/headcaseGames

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:25 am

Don't forget Oink & Viz!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 am

Japanese Super Famicom had their own unique Spider-man game as well which never released here. It actually feels kind of cool, I didn't get far into it[/quote]

Thats Spiderman: Lethal Foes one of my absolute favourite Spiderman games. Very rare to get hold of but is a must for any comics/Spiderman fan.

I loved Spiderman Vs the Kingpin for the Megadrive, its also worth mentioning that the Master System/Gamegear port has completely different level design so are also worth picking up. Again the Mega CD port is closest to the MD version but again has different level design (levels are now smaller and there are around 100 odd!). Also 4 new bosses pop up throughout the game and it has (bad) animated and fully voiced cutscenes.

Couple of other Spidey games -
There was a Spiderman game loosely based on the animated series simply called "Spiderman" for the Megadrive and Snes. Despite looking similar and featuring the same locations both games are actually very different. Neither are really that great though compared to other Spidey games at the time.
Spiderman and the X-Men also got a MD release, probably the worst comic related game I have ever played.
Spiderman got 3 gameboy games which got continuely worse. The first one is OK, with big sprites, simplistic yet kinda fun gameplay and a nice host of baddies to defeat.
The second one is a little more free roaming and has a simple puzzle element to it (find item A, use at location B). Not really that good, but actually seems fun compared to....
Spiderman 3: Invasion of the Spider Slayers. Good god, its horrible. Don't buy it.

Spawn
Spawn got a Snes and Megadrive game platformer/beat em up type game, not bad from what I played and has a bunch of iconic baddies to beat up.
The was a Playstation Spawn game (Spawn The Eternal) which wasn't that great, you would explore levels and then when you fight the action would shift to an bad 1 on 1 fighting game.
My favourite, Spawn in the Demons Hand for the Dreamcast is a port of the Capcom arcade game. Loads of Spawn characters to play as from the comics and loads to unlock as well including the true endings which I still haven't managed to get.
Then there is the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube game Spawn Armageddon which is a decent Devil May Cry clone. Get the Xbox version if you can, I found it smoother and slightly prettier than the PS2 version.
There was also apparently a GBC Spawn game but I've never heard of that one.

There's also:
Iron Man/Exo Manowar: In Heavy Metal for Saturn/Playstation and Gameboy - A crossover game that coincided with the comic crossover which is a pretty poor action/platform game (you can't walk and shoot at the same time!). Features a host of villains from A listers like Baron Zemo to WTF characters such as Doughboy.

Wolverine Adamantium Rage on the Snes is totally different to the MD version, pretty tough to. I nearly completed it once before loosing the damn cartridge

Hulk the Pantheon Saga for the Playstation/Saturn. A bad 3D game that looks terrible and plays terrible.

Justice League Task Force for the SNes/MD - A SF2 style beat em up with Justice League characters in.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin - The Snes version is a slower paced beat em up/platformer that does a great job of replicating the feel of the series, the MD version is completely different and plays more like a fast paced arcade game. Both are fantastic

Batman Forever - The Snes/MD versions are painful to play, a bad mix of platforming and a beat em up mixed with stiff controls makes for 1 unenjoyable game. The Playstation/Saturn versions are ports of the arcade game which are final fight style beat em ups which are just as bad if not worse.

Not sure if its already been mentioned, but X-men Mutant Apocalypse for the Snes is a fantastic beat em up by Capcom.

Lastly, Superman Shadows of Apocalypse (spelling?) for the PS2/Gamecube might just be the best Superman game released. It takes its cues from the animated series so it gets the look of the characters spot on and lets you use most of Supermans different super powers. Combat isn't amazing but its not to bad, the only real disapointment for me was the fact that the game was so short.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:07 am

Also Ex-Mutants on the Megadrive. Pretty good game actually.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:23 pm

I assume The ottifants- Sega Megadrive was based on a comic

North and South- various formats comic based

Robocop Vs Terminator- Sega Megadrive, did it share more than a name with the Darkhorse comics

Chakan : The forever man -Sega Megadrive, was comic based

Tintin- Sega Megadrive

Garfield. various formats

Judge Dredd- Various formats

Dan Dare 1,2,3-C64

Dennis- Snes- The American Comic

Marsupilami/Spirou- Sega Megadrive

Sam and Max- is comic based

Spy Vs Spy

Dinosaurs for Hire- Sega Megadrive

Aliens Vs Predator got a Snes release... again its a conversiobn of the Arcade beatem up, not sure how based on the comics it is/was

The Smurfs etc

A Quick google, reveals this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... _on_comics
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Mr jetsetwilly, would it be possible to share this list with me when you've put it together? I also have started to collect marvel games.

God help us with the punisher for megadrive, unless you have it!? :shock:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm

retrojc wrote:Mr jetsetwilly, would it be possible to share this list with me when you've put it together? I also have started to collect marvel games.
Go for it, my friend. I think its going to take me a hell of a long time to collect it all, but It'll be worth it.
retrojc wrote:God help us with the punisher for megadrive, unless you have it!? :shock:
God help us, indeed. I played it last night on JGenesis on the DS. It looks ok......ish. The arcade version plays a hell of a lot better, though. But I don't have it unfortunately. It would just be a curio, though.

I must say, though, thatnks for all the replies. I just need time to compile the list into what I have/don't have, and work from there. TBH, I did find the US version of Captain America & Woverine on the NES, just need to get them at some point. I already have Spiderman on the MD and MS. I was just outbid on Spiderman Vs Kingpin by 50p. Still, when I g to Clacton on sunday, little does the missus know, Im going retro game hunting mwah ha ha ha ha :D

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:46 pm

I haven't played the punisher, although i can imagine it being abit poor overall, but its one of those games which you can proudly own. There are a couple of ntsc carts for sale on ebay.com... but im wanting pal.

you're also going to want to get a copy of iron man/x-o manowar for the playstation 1... this is a rare game, with a hefty price tag. Same also applies for The hulk for ps1. Neither do i own :(

There is also batman the arcade game for ps1, i actually don't rate it very highly...but its essential for your comic book game collection.

anyway i just went of subject but heres a list of comic book games for ps1 i know off
Ps1 comic book games:

Batman the arcade game
Batman of the future
Batman gotham city racer
Batman and robin
Batman of the future
Blade
Fantastic four (buy this now as people still don't realise how rare it is)
Hellboy (usa only, but essential)
Ironman/x-o manowar (try the continent for this one, can get it for as little as £30)
Marvel super heroes vs street fighter
Marvel vs capcom
Marvel super heroes
The hulk
Space hulk
Spiderman 1
Spiderman 2
X men - children of the atom
X men mutant academy
X men mutant academy 2

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:26 am

I don't know if this any use or how complete it is, but this is a alleged complete list of all Super Famicon games

http://www.sitesnes.com/dossiers/master ... amicom.htm
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Shinobi wrote:I don't know if this any use or how complete it is, but this is a alleged complete list of all Super Famicon games

http://www.sitesnes.com/dossiers/master ... amicom.htm
I appreciate that list shinobi, i have always loved the famicom art work