iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Rayne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Well I've been sneaking extended iPhone play sessions whilst the new pup has been sleeping.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit - The arcade nature of the game is fantastic, it's easy to pick up and play. The career and leveling system are great ways of keeping me hooked too, the only way it could be better was if they'd included touch steering as I hate tilt steering.

NBA JAM - Absolutely amazing! A perfect example of a portable game, the gameplay is easy to pick up, done in super short sessions and completely unashamedly fun. Well worth £2.99

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I bought an iPad on saturday and have Infinty Field, Shadow Guardian, ChuChu Rocket and UNO HD.

Whats the best racing game, Real Racing 2?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Depends if you want arcade racing or sim racing. Real Racing 2 is very much the latter. If you want the former, I'd go for Hot Pursuit.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 am

More retro goodness coming our way at some point.

http://toucharcade.com/category/upcoming-games/

Theres a new version of Tapper coming out, graphics done by Don Bluth (Dragons Lair). Seen the trailer for it, does look very good, very simple game but a good nod back to the old days

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Unless it's change a lot since I played it last, Horror Racing's iffy, with lightweight physics. Your best bet on iOS for this kind of game is Reckless Racing (esp. on iPad) and LilRacerz Pro Rally (which is very often a freebie).
Craig - any idea when the Tap! website will go live ? Just makes me nervous when a new mag starts and theres no website for it yet. Paranoid i know but i start to think of the famous time when RG disappeared so all our subscriptions went with it. Not bothered by the 3 issues for a fiver (bargain), but just surprised theres not a website yet.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 am

Confirmation by Jeff Minter that the Minotaur project games are heading to PC and OS X too: http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?p=1498031#p1498031
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:59 am

Not a huge Minter fan but i'll give the games a try on my ipod. Looking forward to this Robotron game which from the youtube video looks great so i'll get that for sure.

Still playing GTA and enjoying it so much

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:58 am

psj3809 wrote:Craig - any idea when the Tap! website will go live ? Just makes me nervous when a new mag starts and theres no website for it yet. Paranoid i know but i start to think of the famous time when RG disappeared so all our subscriptions went with it. Not bothered by the 3 issues for a fiver (bargain), but just surprised theres not a website yet.
The website's been delayed for a number of extremely boring reasons, but will be live soonish. I'm told the mag itself is doing very well, so there's no need to worry there. Also, I was in Bath yesterday with the Tap! gang for a photoshoot, which the publisher wouldn't have bothered with if it didn't have long-term plans for the mag (since one of the team was even flown in from Scotland). On this all, keep an eye on the Twitter feed for news about Tap!-related stuff (and promo codes—World of Goo was offered last week).

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:53 am

League of Evil has received a nice update. Over 30 new levels have been added including some really tough ones. The only problem is that it seems to have deleted my progress on the levels I had previously completed :( A little annoying but I don't mind playing the game again!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 am

is Podgamer still alive? doesn't seem to get a lot updates at the moment - so I've stopped looking recently - shame if it has died as it was really rather nice.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 am

It's still alive, yes, but we just got screwed by Google (who nuked our AdSense for some reason) and are regrouping and deciding our next move. We're planning some biggish changes over the next month or two.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:It's still alive, yes, but we just got screwed by Google (who nuked our AdSense for some reason) and are regrouping and deciding our next move. We're planning some biggish changes over the next month or two.
that's good to hear. Pocket Gamer is nicely presented, but is a bit dry and I think favours big devs. Will check out Podgamer from time to time again

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Karoshi is an excellent Mario/puzzle game. Well worth trying

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Playing Orbital & NBA Jam at the mo. Jam is superb!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:31 am

Been playing Splatterhouse as it was 59p. Seems to control pretty well, the game itself is kinda fun too