iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

theantmeister

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by theantmeister » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:33 pm

psj3809 wrote:Well a lot more Apple TV games seem to have appeared the last few days. Read on Touch Arcade the main guy in charge of Apple TV has been moved on so hopefully the new guy will make changes. Eg Apple TV games shouldnt have to use the crappy controller, hopefully some games will be joypad only. Might help make it more popular
++

The Apple TV will linger in obscurity (as a games platform) until they change that policy.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 pm

I find playing games on iPhone and iPad to be a bit of a chore to be honest. Not a fan of the onscreen controls and can't get on with using them. I have Pinball Fantasies (Amiga & SNES), Sonic and Sonic 2 on my iPhone and from time to time ill give them a go but only end up playing them for 5 minutes a time.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I used to be like that, get totally frustrated with the controls. Now i'm the opposite, think it took a while for me to get used to it but i'm fine with them. Of course it sometimes depends on the dev but i find platform games work very well (Completed lots of those) and big RPG's like Aralon/Ravensword again work well.

Got (ahem) about 700 games on my iphone, as you may be able to tell i love the variety ! Play a lot of emulators on my phone as well, specially Gameboy games.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:59 pm

Arcade-opoly for iOS and Mac now on the stores. I'm working on an Android port with it running on a tablet but having trouble with frame rate on the phone.

Youtube playthrough.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xYMpUWyt9mw
Image Image Image Image

johny95

Post by johny95 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:07 am

i just realised that metal slug, the classic machine game is on the app store as metal slug defense! sound effect makes you remember the old times playing this game on neogeo!! :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:56 am

johny95 wrote:i just realised that metal slug, the classic machine game is on the app store as metal slug defense! sound effect makes you remember the old times playing this game on neogeo!! :D
Thats a totally different game. You can get the original proper Metal Slug games on iOS.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Star Wires: The Minute Wars (iPhone/iPad Free)

Youtube trailer:- https://youtu.be/O7pl2wH1_2I

Take to the stars in your wireframe vector ship for the battle of the Minute Wars!

Attack and defend the onslaught of enemy fighters, shoot asteroids and fight to survive the one minute missions. Earned XP during missions can then be used to configure your ships Speed, Lasers and Shields.

Can you climb up the ranks from Rookie to Elite!

Includes controller support and a awesome orchestral soundtrack.

Version 1.1 uploaded to Apple today.
Two new touch controls and controller support.
Added meteorites to dodge and shoot for extra points.
Minor fix: Lasers were not destroyed when hitting certain enemies.
Last edited by Eric on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:09 am

Just tried it out, could be so good, think it has bags of potential. Love the vector graphics, took me a while to work out the controls, left/right was easy just how to shoot ! Think the controls should be made easier or standard as other shoot em ups (relative touch).

Only played a bit of it, i think if later levels had parts of a planet or something you had to dodge or a bit more variety it would be great. Graphics are spot on, just i think the controls let it down (sorry !)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 am

Eric wrote:Star Wires: The Minute Wars (iPhone/iPad Free)
No Apple TV version :(

Weird that its not completely cross compatible and needs its own versions, I'm finding lots of good stuff missing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

Weird that its not completely cross compatible and needs its own versions, I'm finding lots of good stuff missing.
I was hoping that Apple TV games would easily be created, eg most apps are universal, i was hoping (probably stupidly) it would be like this for Apple TV. I think the main issue is the crappy remote where it has to be able to be used for every Apple TV game. I'm hoping that rule will change, if i see an Apple TV game and it says 'Joystick only not remote' then thats fair isnt it ?

As we mentioned before theres a new guy in charge of Apple TV now so i hope they banish this rule as then there might be tons more games and the unit does better. The Apple Watch has started dying a death regarding apps, i hope this isnt the case with Apple TV. Early days yet and theres been some 'big names' recently like Gameloft with Asphalt 8 and Disney with that Infinity 3 app. But i check every few days and theres a ton of crappy throwaway style apps, no real meat.

Have about 40 games installed which isnt too bad but just expecting newer games

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 am

Lonewolf
https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/lonewol ... 52574?mt=8

So far a nice sniper style game, i read that you can unlock the rest of the game later and theres some good twists. The devs of this game released other sniper style games with 'stickman scenes' around it. They were great good but were freemium/timer style ones. This one seems far better

Worth downloading

Still a bit worried by iOS gaming, in the old days there were epic games released weekly, used to buy 4 or 5 games a week. Now its probably 4 or 5 a month if that. Got tons of iOS vouchers from Xmas but nothing to buy, too much freemium crap

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:17 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:

To do a Apple TV version means a whole new submit and binary to Apple and new controls and resolution for me. It's just to much time and money needed. If Apple would let it run iOS Universal binary's it would be alot easier and less hassle to support what is a great machine.
Image Image Image Image

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 am

psj3809 wrote:Just tried it out, could be so good, think it has bags of potential. Love the vector graphics, took me a while to work out the controls, left/right was easy just how to shoot ! Think the controls should be made easier or standard as other shoot em ups (relative touch).

Only played a bit of it, i think if later levels had parts of a planet or something you had to dodge or a bit more variety it would be great. Graphics are spot on, just i think the controls let it down (sorry !)
I think I've ended up being to smart with the controls in by trying to keep to just two buttons for simplistic but ended up over complicating things. My main thinking was that I wanted firing to be under the players control too and not have the ship auto shoot

Thonks for the Relative Touch tip psj3809. I've had a play at some shooters on the AppStore and I'll try to get this in added in a update with some wireframe planets too. Can I ask if the adverts are showing for you guys? As the idea was that when player reaches a high score the ads get turned off as a reward.
Image Image Image Image

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:23 am

I downloaded this app a few weeks ago and have been having great fun with it, Retrospecs is an app designed to allow you to take a photo or one you already have and turn it into either an 8-bit or 16-bit image from a classic console and computer listing across a whooping 42 platforms, which is ridiculously insane.
I have shared a few of the images I've either taken or used from my Camera roll as you can see below how powerful the app is.

This is amazing for the likes of creating great avatars for forums, Facebook, twitter or a blog gallery and if your expert enough can export them to a computer and reprocess them into actual works of art to have framed and printed on your wall, the possibilities are pretty much endless. I have also being in contact with the Developer with regards to new suggested features that will hopefully make it into a later release.

ImageImage

The App comes has some amazing Premium features that evolve the images even further for a mere £1.49 / $1.99 / €1.99 for all the extra stuff you can do to your images.

you can check it out here their website here and their Facebook page for instance updates here

Check it out, it's a cracking piece of kit. Hopefully their will be an Android version later in the year.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:52 am

Star Wires: The Minute Wars update is live. Adds controller support, new touch controls and meteorites! If updating please remove earlier version and its save files then download new version.
Image Image Image Image