iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bluce_Ree

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:17 am

psj3809 wrote:
£5, looks like a good Rebelstar type X-Com strategy game, not over the top strategy but just about right. Graphics are old skool, gameplay looks good with turns etc. Think this may be the rebelstar 'homage' i'm looking for
OOH!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:11 am

Air Attack 2
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id842617644

Never had the first one but this one looks great, heard lots of good things about it. I'll pick it up this weekend once i get an itunes card. Looks a great 1942 style shooter

Aralon: Forge and Flame
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aralon- ... 36866?mt=8

Basically Aralon II. The first game was a massive single player RPG which was brilliant. This ones very good, does have a 'few' bugs at the moment but its still very very playable. Lots of quests are 'kill xxx' or 'kill xxxx orcs' etc and theres a main quest which you have to do. Huge world to explore, lots of wandering about, dungeons to go through etc. £5 for a huge single player RPG on your iphone is great

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:32 pm

I wasn't that fussed about Air Attack 2, I'll put some more time into it but I've not seen anything special yet.
Splink!

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:54 am

are Apple doing one of those 12 days of xmas promos again? (even though the games usually tosh)
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 am

^Dont think so. Last time they did it i had all the games.

Getting a bit frustrated with iOS gaming, still plenty of games and to be fair i have 100's i should go back to instead of 'dipping in and out' but theres more and more freemium. I blame the users who wait for price drops or a game to be free, but the app stores slowly turning into the Android store (minus the emulators).

Think its time to go back and play many of my older games

I see what Felgekarp meant about Air Attack 2, saw lots of pictures, looked great, should have watched a video. Just seems very slow paced, i may give it another go but finding it a bit too boring at the mo.

Still loving Aralon II, just about to complete the main quest. Quite a huge world to explore with some of the big cave levels as well

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:21 pm

After only touching it once or twice, I've put some proper time into Forgotten Ball, and it's pretty legit. Really like the music.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:06 am

Just completed Aralon II. Was playing it solidly the last week

Did have some issues and a few bugs but a huge game to explore, had some extra maps near the end which were pretty big. For $5 its well worth it, huge RPG to explore, fair few missions and lands to go through. Epic for a handheld game

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:51 am

Hmmmm not a lot of huge epic games released just before Apple shuts down for Xmas, the biggest is...

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-t ... ?mt=8&uo=4

This was the GTA made for the PSP, its meant to be really good. Tempted to get it but its 1.3 gig so need to make some space

Lots of other games released but for me personally there doesnt seem to be tons of great ones. A few years back i was buying 5 or so games a week, now perhaps just 1 which is worrying. Think freemium crap is one reason why

Into the Dim
https://itunes.apple.com/app/into-the-d ... ?mt=8&uo=4

This is another nice Rogue/puzzle style game in Gameboy colours. Plays well, has that 'just one more go' feeling. Good game

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:43 am

I have Liberty City Stories on PSP. Its like a revisited GTA 3. I played the PSP game first, so when I played 3 it seemed overly familiar and a bit of adrudge at times. Worth ashot if you've not had your fil of those characters/setting, but otherwise very similar. Can't go wrong at just a few quid I suppose.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Yeah never heard of this one before, seems pretty good. So its basically in the same city as GTA III ?

Might give this one a go, i do have GTA III but dont play it so much but this new one i probably will. Controls might be better than GTA III as well

Waiting for KOTOR II to hit iOS as its rumoured it will at some point in the hopefully near future

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Live now is free game Dashy Crashy by ex-Sega and Rare dudes - it's a colourful endless driving game with hi-score chasing and is super fun. Features the voice-over girl who announced on Out Run 2! Try it :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:18 am

^Hmm might give it a go, not too keen personally on all the crossy road type games.

Well a lot more Apple TV games seem to have appeared the last few days. Read on Touch Arcade the main guy in charge of Apple TV has been moved on so hopefully the new guy will make changes. Eg Apple TV games shouldnt have to use the crappy controller, hopefully some games will be joypad only. Might help make it more popular

Glad a lot more games came out recently including some favourites, my home screens filling up with lots of games now (about 40 at the mo)

Bought GTA Liberty City Stories which is great, never played it before. De-installed San Andreas and i think i'll play this one first.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:00 pm

psj3809 wrote:Apple TV games shouldnt have to use the crappy controller, hopefully some games will be joypad only.
What are the joypad options? Is there an official one? Not looked into this at all, but if there's a reliable, good, controller that is 100% compatible, I'd go for that.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Yeah when i picked up the Apple TV they also sold controllers in the Apple shop - Steelseries controller (http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/tv/tv-accessories)

So picked one of those up as well, connects easily. All games work with it. No way do i want to use that Apple TV controller for games, Apple need to get rid of that as it'll make it easier for devs as they wont have to worry about that.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I saw those on the other side of the shop, thought it would just be for iPad.