iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 am

The Deer God
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-dee ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Grea looking platform pixel adventure by crescent moon. Price isn't high, just a few quid more than the usual peoced games (£3.99) and is on special offer for a week till it goes up to 5.99

Played a bit so far. Love the art. Plays well

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Unkilled
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/unkille ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Decent zombie shooter. Its free, its great they way they have automatic firing which makes it easier to play on the screen. The one issue are 'timers' or 'energy' as once youre out of energy you cant play for a while. Huge shame about that but its good to have a go here and there and its obviously free. Wish there was an IAP to get rid of the timer but it does play very well, worth a look. Has lots of mini missions

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:07 am

Drylands: Plan B
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dryland ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Free to play. I had this when it was a premium game, poor devs didnt make much so are now going down the freemium route. Think its a great side scrolling action RPG, lots of missions and sub quests. Well worth playing

Rambo
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rambo-t ... 20415?mt=8

From the makers of 'Into the dead' this seems similar but looks good. Just bought it, premium game. Lots of levels based on the films. Youre constantly running and have to dodge/shoot etc

Star Wars Uprising
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/star-wa ... d921795947

Another freebie, need an internet connection which is a pain.Played the first level, not too bad, touch to move , shoot etc. Alright so far

Devastator
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/devasta ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Another twin stick shooter from Radian Games, pretty cool

D/Generation
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/d-gener ... 1010598646

Free and 69p to get rid of any ad's. Controls dont work too well, the devs updating it constantly. Its an old Amiga game, played a few screens but still needs some work

IDos 2
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id918131840?mt=8

Still available. Doesnt work on ios9. But i've got this, added a fair few DOS games to it via iFunbox. Only 69p, quite cool adding games to it

scunny
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:04 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:42 am

psj3809 wrote:
IDos 2
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id918131840?mt=8

Still available. Doesnt work on ios9. But i've got this, added a fair few DOS games to it via iFunbox. Only 69p, quite cool adding games to it
how and where from?
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 am

I'll have to hook up my phone later and see the set up i've got

You basically download this free utility (http://www.i-funbox.com/) and then you can go to the iDOS folder and copy in games.

If youre on the latest ios i dont think you can access these folders (ios 8.4 i think it is). I'm on ios 8.2 so i use iFunbox to copy games to Spectaculator, or PDF's to Sidebooks (Comic/PDF reading app) or games to Gridlee (MAME).

Its a great utility. Again i'll check my setup later for DOS as someone had written a batch file which you could edit yourself so you dont have to keep typing in say CD\, CD DARK FORCES etc

I've got an iphone 6 and Dark Forces runs well on it and a fair few others.

scunny
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:04 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:07 am

crikey, would it run something like master of orion 2, master of magic or eye of the beholder?
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:37 am

scunny wrote:crikey, would it run something like master of orion 2, master of magic or eye of the beholder?
Unsure, if they're true DOS games (not win 95 etc) then theres a chance. I've got Dark Forces to work and a few others. Its quite fun trying them out and seeing what ones work well etc

Timothy Redux
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:36 pm

psj3809 wrote:Unkilled
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/unkille ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Decent zombie shooter. Its free, its great they way they have automatic firing which makes it easier to play on the screen. The one issue are 'timers' or 'energy' as once youre out of energy you cant play for a while. Huge shame about that but its good to have a go here and there and its obviously free. Wish there was an IAP to get rid of the timer but it does play very well, worth a look. Has lots of mini missions
it looks good - how far can you get without IAPs?
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Timothy Redux
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Infiinity Blade III is currently free - though a huge download
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:13 am

Leave Me Alone
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/leave-m ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Big fan of Crescent Moon games, this is a nice retro style platformer. Quite a large filesize when installed (about 1.4 gig i think) but if you've got the room its worth picking this one up

Dust: An Elysian Tail
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dust-an ... ?l=en&mt=8

Must admit i missed this one for a week or so as the name put me off ! Didnt realise it was a huge hit on XBox/Playstation 4. The game looks stunning, controls work so well. Make sure you have a new iOS device as it needs a fast processor. Got a lot of platformers on my iphone and this is one of the best, well worth the money

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:52 am

A great retro game appeared yesterday...

Downwell
https://itunes.apple.com/kr/app/downwel ... ?ls=1&mt=8

As the name suggests you are going down a well ! The graphics are retro heavy (plus different coloured modes later), the controls work really well, you jump and fire at the same time. The games portrait, lots of enemies, small caves to go into to get more weapons etc. Click on the link, well worth picking up

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by theantmeister » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 am

psj3809 wrote:A great retro game appeared yesterday...

Downwell
https://itunes.apple.com/kr/app/downwel ... ?ls=1&mt=8

As the name suggests you are going down a well ! The graphics are retro heavy (plus different coloured modes later), the controls work really well, you jump and fire at the same time. The games portrait, lots of enemies, small caves to go into to get more weapons etc. Click on the link, well worth picking up
Picked this up last night. Wow, it is really very good isn't it? So simple and addictive.

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:38 am

^Glad you like it, its a great game

Heres some more...

Cloud Chasers
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/cloud-c ... ?mt=8&uo=4

Watched the video for the game, looks really interesting, some people have said its a bit slow but i think i'll give this one a go

Mos Speedrun 2
http://toucharcade.com/link/https://itu ... 98788?mt=8

Sequel to a great little platformer released ages ago. A really good game

Beggars Ride
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-beg ... 19880?mt=8

This looks a great puzzle platformer if you watch the video on itunes, checking with the dev if it has onscreen buttons (love on screen buttons), if it does i'll buy it

psj3809
Posts: 18718
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 am

Another big release came out...

Brothers: A tale of two sons
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brother ... 88869?mt=8

Big hit on consoles, looks great. Watched the video and just bought and downloading it, a large file (1.9 gb). But something a bit different, you control both brothers so have a joystick in the corner for each so that'll take some getting used to. Looks great though

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Joey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:19 pm

psj3809 wrote:Another big release came out...

Brothers: A tale of two sons
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brother ... 88869?mt=8

Big hit on consoles, looks great. Watched the video and just bought and downloading it, a large file (1.9 gb). But something a bit different, you control both brothers so have a joystick in the corner for each so that'll take some getting used to. Looks great though
Played the PS3 version and it's excellent. Quite a powerful story as well, as far as game narratives go!
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests