iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:34 am

Yeah i didnt pick that up this morning, just bought it. Decent filesize 88 meg, lots of people raving on about how good it is. I'm not a 'huge' match 3 fan but this does look very good and its by some great devs.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:48 pm

9th Dawn looks good. I'm approaching the end of the Galaxy on Fire 2 mission packs so this could be my next time sink when I'm done with that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Morkin wrote:Scurvy Scallywags looks like a definite purchase today after reading the Pocketgamer review.
Match-3 games are my favourite type on iOS and this game is fantastic!

Now only if everyone realised that Candy Crush saga is the worst, grossest, biggest rip off match-3 game ever made and that there are other great ones, like this, out there!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:9th Dawn looks good. I'm approaching the end of the Galaxy on Fire 2 mission packs so this could be my next time sink when I'm done with that.
Yeah i'm loving this, just been playing it i thought for a few minutes, turned out to be over an hour ! Great old skool Ultima style game

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 am

Free (probably freemium) Q-Bert style game just came out...

Jump Mania
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2856971

Not bad at all, prefer the onscreen buttons. Worth a try, nice to have this on your device with you

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 am

Forest of Doom
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2861437

Yeah its £3.99 but its still a bargain, classic gamebook, just downloading now. Back in the early 80's on peanuts for pocket money this was about £5.95 i think it was, 30 years later we're all earning, £3.99 for this is a bargain

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:43 am

psj3809 wrote:Forest of Doom
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2861437

Yeah its £3.99 but its still a bargain, classic gamebook, just downloading now. Back in the early 80's on peanuts for pocket money this was about £5.95 i think it was, 30 years later we're all earning, £3.99 for this is a bargain
Oh dear, does this mean the Big Blue Bubble releases will stop working if the licensing is now with a new developer?? This has already happened with Manomio and their re-release of Flashback.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 am

Well they wont stop working but there wont be any updates or that. I had a couple of those older books, they were okay but i much prefer this new updated version.

Ages ago they lost the license to Tin Man Games. Great decision i think as Tin Man games has a great track record with his previous series of similar gamebooks.

Tin Man Games have done a great job with the Judge Dredd gamebook and the previous Fighting Fantasy ones. Looking forward to more and more

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 am

psj3809 wrote:Well they wont stop working but there wont be any updates or that. I had a couple of those older books, they were okay but i much prefer this new updated version.

Ages ago they lost the license to Tin Man Games. Great decision i think as Tin Man games has a great track record with his previous series of similar gamebooks.

Tin Man Games have done a great job with the Judge Dredd gamebook and the previous Fighting Fantasy ones. Looking forward to more and more
I hope Warlock continues to work as I've enjoyed playing through that a few times. I'll certainly be tempted to get titles I haven't already got but I probably won't make duplicate purchases.

There's a Judge Dredd gamebook!? I had forgotten/didn't know about that! *goes to look*

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:20 am

Yeah like you i bought some of those early Fighting Fantasy books, they were okay but i enjoyed the Gamebook Adventures range (think theres 9 of them) by Tin Man. After the original FF company lost the license (or Ian Livingstone didnt renew it) he went with Tin Man games which is a good decision

The Judge Dredd book isnt bad at all, theres a new one coming at some point in the next few months. Do enjoy the gamebooks and the bookmark feature is obviously good.

I hope with EA (hmmm !) taking over the Star Wars game license we'll get something decent on iOS. Its woeful how bad the iOS Star Wars games are (apart from obviously Knights of the Old Republic on iPad which was recent)

Mentioned it before but this game...

9th Dawn
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=191986

Exceptional ! If you like old skool Ultima games (Eg Ultima IV) then this is the game for you. Huge map to explore, can save at any point, its the one game i've been playing tons recently. Really very good

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Anyone bought Contra? Decent enough but it just doesn't "feel" like Contra.

Balders

Post by Balders » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:09 am

psj3809 wrote:Star Wars knights of the old republic for the iPad. A classic Bioware game
I'd love to play this on my ipad, but I'd have to cull half of my games just to fit it on.

Maybe later. Right now I'm too spoilt for choice.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:17 am

Scurvey scallywags is excellent. Plus it's free, probably buy the X2 gold miltiplier to put some money in the devs pockets :D it's got a lot of character. Plus my little boy lives pirates

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am

Damn been playing 9th Dawn TONS, LOVE IT

Anyway this week - Xcom Enemy Unknown arrives on ios - 20 dollars ! So about 15 quid but still a classic game...

http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/17/xcom- ... for-19-99/

I dont mind the cost, its still quite cheap compared to what i used to buy Speccy games back in the day for on pocket money. But its just the space it might take up ! Hopefully wont be hugeeee

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:02 pm

psj3809 wrote:Well they wont stop working but there wont be any updates or that. I had a couple of those older books, they were okay but i much prefer this new updated version.

I'm just praying they finally get to release someething NOT written by Ian Livingstone or Steve Jackson fron the series. Don't get me wrong, I love those two guys for what they did in effectively starting the UK gamebook industry but their actual writing is a bit hmm... Livingstones books are always turn left, turn right, encounter GENERIC MONSTER, turn left, turn right, repeat repeat repeat. Jacksons books ALWAYS require you to go way off the beaten path to find an object that intitially appears worthless and then turns out to be crucial ages later by which point you've got no idea of working out where you should have got it and you die horribly. That and they always feature at least one ridiculously difficult combat.

I'd love some of Robin Waterfield, Peter Darvill-Evans, Stephen Hand or Jonathan Green's work to get remade. Jonathan Green wrote Temple of the Spider God for Tin Man, so they have his contact details... I want a Knights of Doom app!