iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Yep it's great. The other two tables are worth getting

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Goat Up 2 is out. Downloading now

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:07 am

I've just snapped up the following on price promo',

Metal Slug 3 for £1.49 - loving this for the windowed mode (so fingers don't obscure things), scanline options and general all-round awesomeness
Plasma Sky for 69p - played it once so far reaching level 25 or thereabouts, a nice blaster with some beautiful vector graphics (which I'm always a sucker for)
Sonic Dash for 69p - another endless runner but a pretty decent effort all the same with nice graphics
psj3809 wrote:Yep it's great. The other two tables are worth getting
Yep, I'll be purchasing them all once they're released on Wii U's Zen Pinball 2. :D
psj3809 wrote:Goat Up 2 is out. Downloading now
Any good? I've not looked for any reviews yet but I'm liking the sound of it based on the game's description (nice to see Matthew Smith name-checked!) and the screenshots. I've not bought it yet as I'm waiting to see if it's worth the £2.49 asking price.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:12 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Goat Up 2 is out. Downloading now
Any good? I've not looked for any reviews yet but I'm liking the sound of it based on the game's description (nice to see Matthew Smith name-checked!) and the screenshots. I've not bought it yet as I'm waiting to see if it's worth the £2.49 asking price.
Just started playing, not had the chance to do any editing, but it looks so 80s it hurts.

And it's worth supporting one of the UK's independent game designers, trying something different.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:30 am

merman wrote:Just started playing, not had the chance to do any editing, but it looks so 80s it hurts.
In a good way I hope! The opportunity to create levels doesn't hold much appeal to me but it's a very cool addition as it'd be nice to play levels created by others. Kinda like LittleBigPlanet (and others) in that respect.
And it's worth supporting one of the UK's independent game designers, trying something different.
Indeed. I've purchased every single previous Llamasoft iOS release.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 am

I'm enjoying Goat Up 2, like the wacky sounds, levels, only had a quick go to be fair. Some people are moaning about the 'blurry' graphics and the price, from what i read on his twitter hes not making tons with the other games so has put the price up a bit.

But i love platformers, the controls work well, bit weird the portrait mode, prefer landscape but from what i've played i'm enjoying it and looking forward to recognising more retro characters in it (Pacman, Miner Willy etc)

And its from Minter so i have to support him !

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 am

Goatup 2, it's great stuff. :D
Not all of Minter's output on iOS has been my cup of tea so I haven't bought them all but Goatup 2, Minotron and Gridrunner have been excellent purchases for me.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 am

On pricing, do bear in mind previous games continue to take up his time regarding maintenance updates, for very little extra income. Gridrunner's getting an update soon, for example. Really, £2.49's hardly going to break the bank, and I hope more indies follow suit. (Ridiculous Fishing similarly eschewed the tier-one price-point recently, starting out at two quid.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59 am

The first Goat Up is one of my goto games on iOS, one of a select few that remains installed and I keep going back to. Purchasing the sequel isn't even questionable after that. If its not so good, I don't mind, since I've had more than my money's worth from the first one. I think with the Llamasoft games I just have to buy each one to keep development going. Even if a given game isn't to my taste, something else will be along soon as long as I throw a couple of quid every few months at them.

I wonder if there's a subscription model to be had from that? Pay a regular few pounds per quarter to a dev and get all their output?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Will have to get Goat Up 2 then, haven't bought a new app for some time.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:The first Goat Up is one of my goto games on iOS, one of a select few that remains installed and I keep going back to. Purchasing the sequel isn't even questionable after that. If its not so good, I don't mind, since I've had more than my money's worth from the first one. I think with the Llamasoft games I just have to buy each one to keep development going. Even if a given game isn't to my taste, something else will be along soon as long as I throw a couple of quid every few months at them.

I wonder if there's a subscription model to be had from that? Pay a regular few pounds per quarter to a dev and get all their output?
I'd bin Minter if he went to a subscription model. He's too hit and miss for me to ever consider paying in advance for his stuff.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 pm

That's fair enough, but it might be an option for some. Subs for some of us, pay per game for others. No reason the two options can't live side by side. I'll agree Llamasoft can be hit and miss, but for me its mostly hits to at least some degree, there's not anything they've done I really detest.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 pm

XCOM: Enemy Unknown arriving this Summer.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/03/23/pax-e ... is-summer/

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Morkin wrote:XCOM: Enemy Unknown arriving this Summer.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/03/23/pax-e ... is-summer/
Now there's a game that'd look lovely on an iPad's retina display. :D

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:That's fair enough, but it might be an option for some. Subs for some of us, pay per game for others. No reason the two options can't live side by side.
I wonder why Minter has never gone down this route. Seeing it in black & white makes it look like a complete no-brainer. His hardcore fans would lap it up. Can such a thing be done on iOS? I don't know how the app store works tbh.