iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Well the apps gone now anyway !

... Apple were quick to shut down this one
Great stuff.
Indeed, was also a great day when Gridlee finally disappeared. If only Apple would get rid of that evil C64 app as well where you can add your own games. Evil evil evil

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:25 pm

That won't happen on the basis that the app is fully licences and also not trying to circumvent Apple's app-submission process. There are plenty of other emulators on the App Store, too, including a ton of Sega apps, Spectrum emulators, and even the odd PC one. The only one that rankles with me is iMAME, which the dev said was pulled for possibly spurious reasons of copyright infringement.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Well this GBA emulator does seem quite powerful. It works with 'rom morphing' which i never knew about.

I've tested it with some GB roms (morphed them) into GBA roms and they work a treat. Obviously only tested it with readily available freeware GB games so its all legal and they work well.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 pm

psj3809 wrote:Obviously only tested it with readily available freeware GB games so its all legal and they work well.
How strange then that you have posted the following on that site you linked earlier,
One or two crashed when i tried loading them, but most of them worked. Super Mario Land, many others. Work very well
I was hoping you could put old Gameboy games there as well but it doesnt seem to work with .gb or .gbc files as i really wanted to play the mono Super Mario Land
From a selfish point of view i really want to get old Gameboy Colour games working, cant get them working in this one
DO not ask for rom sites. Surely you can use google?
So far a fair few platformers seem to play well, the Kirby game plays pretty good, the Mario games arent too bad.
emulators are basically 'illegally' playing copyrighted games. We all know what emulators are used for !
Just re-packaged Super Mario Land (GB mono) and it works perfectly (iphone)
Source: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182581

:wink:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Ha ha ha ha !

As soon as i posted that i thought 'i bet he quotes my post from Touch Arcade'.

Hats off to you, its my fault for being 'clever' about homebrew.

Very good !

It is frustrating though when you get so many people where to get the roms though (in the app theres even a button which searches google for you !). Everytime an emulator appears on the app store everyone posts 'where are the romz ?'

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm

No problem mate and I'm glad you took that in the spirit it was intended! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Honestly i did laugh out loud, its a school boy error by me, i thought you were going to do that specially with my nice and innocent 'but i was only going to play homebrew...' ;)

Cheers for the laugh !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't know what I'm most appalled by. That you're a filthy pirate or that you wanted to play a Kirby game! :lol: :lol: :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:16 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:I don't know what I'm most appalled by. That you're a filthy pirate or that you wanted to play a Kirby game! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha ha. Nah i have fond memories of that first Kirby game on the GB Mono, remember buying that as i loved platformers, never played the GBA version i must admit but prefer the old classic mono GB games.

Anyway no sign of Goat Up 2 (Jeff Minters sequel) which looks great, hopefully will appear soon as yesterday was a very very quiet day for releases

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

Looks like it (the GBA emulator) has already been pulled :(

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 am

psj3809 wrote:Anyway no sign of Goat Up 2 (Jeff Minters sequel) which looks great, hopefully will appear soon
Hell yes! Llamasoft and iOS have been a match made in heaven so far, imho. Long may it continue. :D
SirClive wrote:Looks like it (the GBA emulator) has already been pulled :(
psj posted that here two days ago.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:57 am

I'm wondering what the hold-up is with GoatUp 2. I do hope nothing's wrong, but it's certainly been in Apple's system now for longer than the current average. It occurs that Jeff's attempt to be super-well-behaved with level-sharing might have led to extra testing.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:49 am

Yeah i read you could create your own levels so perhaps theres been some issues there.

Shame as i'm really looking forward to it. Nice idea about making your own levels but i must admit i never bother with that, some past games have had that.

Terrible week yesterday for releases, only game i bought was

Chopper Mike
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182736

Great little game, lots of levels, nice graphics.

Apart from that there wasnt anything decent.

I really really hope Dungeon Hunter 4 which Gameloft announced wont be some crazy freemium arena game like DH3, hope it'll return to the DH1/DH2 roots. Should start getting some previews about that soon.

Older Brothers (should be a great retro platformer type game) should be out in a few weeks.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
SirClive wrote:Looks like it (the GBA emulator) has already been pulled :(
psj posted that here two days ago.
Ah right, just tried to get it and was too late :(

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:57 pm

... on iOS totally rocks! I've only purchased the The Empire Strikes Back table so far and it's bloody fantastic! :D :D :D

(in my opinion!)