iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:26 am

Loving playing Whale Trail and Super Crossfire which I've just now purchased for only 69p each. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:38 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Loving playing Whale Trail and Super Crossfire which I've just now purchased for only 69p each. :D
Yeah i didnt go for Whale Trail, got a similar game where you just use one button to fly high etc, wasnt a big fan of that game (Cant even remember the title !). Super Crossfire i think is superb, great retro style graphics and just very playable, works very well with the touch buttons.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:55 am

psj3809 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Loving playing Whale Trail and Super Crossfire which I've just now purchased for only 69p each. :D
Yeah i didnt go for Whale Trail, got a similar game where you just use one button to fly high etc, wasnt a big fan of that game (Cant even remember the title !). Super Crossfire i think is superb, great retro style graphics and just very playable, works very well with the touch buttons.
Was it Tiny Wings? If so, I assure you that Whale Trail isn't just a clone of that game.

Yep, Super Crossfire is damn fine from what I've played of it so far. Of the few user reviews so far on the game's iTunes/App Store page there's one person who's left feedback grumbling that the controls aren't so great. There's nothing wrong with the controls... and should one prefer an alternative to the default setup I see there are three variations of the slider, a buttons alternative scheme as well as the option to use tilt controls. What a moron! :roll:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 am

Thats the one, ta for letting me know then as i may give this new game a go. Just got bored with Tiny Wings big time.

Can recommend that game i mentioned the other day (Kyotokei), the odd website has said its a bit like an Ikaragua (sp) clone which can only be a good thing.

Been playing the Cave shooters recently, very pricey but i love some of these bullet hell games.

But Mage Gauntlet for me tonight, want to really get into that. Remember if you love vast RPG/Ultima type games then please take a look at Aralon, that game took several weeks of my life ! Was so good i may start again from the beginning, brilliant epic RPG

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 am

Yep, as beautiful-looking as it was, Tiny Wings sure got boring quickly. Similar to many others it seems, I kinda reached a point in the game beyond which I could never seem to progress. Yawn!

Whale Trail, while also featuring lovely graphics, is admittedly also a rather simple game but it would seem to have a little more to offer. You basically fly your avatar by pressing the screen and simply have to keep on collecting the stars etc to stop a meter running out, i.e. game over. There's a tad more to it than that but not by much. However, it does feel extremely well executed from the little I've experienced so far...

Kyotokei - thanks to your heads-up on the game the other day it is a game I'll be buying soon. :D

The Cave shmups on iOS - Yep, they're pricey for iOS... but I bought the first three of them at knockdown prices at the time Cave and several other publishers price discounted their titles to help toward the Japan earthquake disaster relief fund. Iirc, I bought Death Smiles for a decent price too.

Mage Gauntlet probably isn't my cup of tea. Having said that I did pick up Aralon in a sale promo some time ago but never got 'round to playing it so thanks for the inadvertent reminder to do so! :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Having said that I did pick up Aralon in a sale promo some time ago but never got 'round to playing it so thanks for the inadvertent reminder to do so! :lol:
I was the same with Aralon, never really got into it, my mate kept pushing me to play it as he played it/was hooked/completed it.

Must admit after i did the first few missions, saw how big the game was, how many different missions there were etc i was totally hooked and played it non stop ! Bit like having an offline Order & Chaos

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 am

Reason 234234 why iOS gaming is so good, this one suddenly appeared without any fanfare...

Dark Incursion
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=110890

Looks like a cross between Green Beret /Castlevania and a 'bit' of Strider. Played the first level and love it, reminds me of an old SNES version of those games mentioned. Well worth the money, best 'Green Beret' style game i've got on iOS.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:30 am

psj3809 wrote:Reason 234234 why iOS gaming is so good, this one suddenly appeared without any fanfare...

Dark Incursion
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=110890

Looks like a cross between Green Beret /Castlevania and a 'bit' of Strider. Played the first level and love it, reminds me of an old SNES version of those games mentioned. Well worth the money, best 'Green Beret' style game i've got on iOS.
I like the concept but I just can't get on with the controls so far - Ducking is causing me a whole mess of problems, with it not registering me pressing/swiping down and turns the character around instead :? The ice platforms are a pain as well, creating one is fine but I'm having problems jumping onto them for some reason. The fact the D Pad isn't in a fixed location isn't helping me, I'll give it another shot later but hopefully they'll release an update at a later date with alternate control schemes as it seems really promising from what little I played.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:00 am

Yeah i must admit i've played a bit more and ducking seems to be a bit of a pain to do. Have really enjoyed this game though, could be even better hopefully after an update

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 am

ESPGaluda II HD on ipad is my game of choice this week - it looks bloody fantastic. Has the proper difficulty as well - more bullets etc than the iphone original conversion. Recommended to ipad owners who like shmups - it's the best one by far.

Oh think it might be ipad 2 only..

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:04 am

Bought Fara yesterday

Great little Zelda type RPG, funny storyline, very nice graphics, only 69p, bargain

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:43 am

If I had an iPad then the above peripheral would be a day one purchase!

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/07/a ... h_october/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:08 am

Does look good but i still prefer the iCade. I take it you've seen one of those ? Now they do look cool, quite a few games work already for it also

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:19 am

I've not seen an iCade in the wild but I'm aware of what one is and what it looks like. The iCade seems a better all-round proposition than this Atari Arcade item. I'm just a sucker for the Atari branding this product has - that Mount Fuji looks so cool! Yep, I know it's not "proper" Atari but even so... :oops:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 am

You people would really buy that Atari thing, it looks like some 3rd party piece of tat!
Splink!