iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

Re: Post your iPod Touch games here

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:24 pm

sscott wrote:
SirClive wrote:
witchfinder wrote:So it's better than a Gameboy, or a DS, or a Neo Geo Pocket, or a PSP? F
Yes.
Better than a DS with an R4 card though? Not so sure about that! :)
Yes, even better than a DS/R4 combo. I would rather pay 59p for a good game than download a shedful of meh ones.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:34 pm

SirClive wrote: Yes, even better than a DS/R4 combo. I would rather pay 59p for a good game than download a shedful of meh ones.
I tend to agree. I've been playing a lot of PSP games recently but I am seriously hooked on gaming on my iPhone. I know on other sites I read (essentially CVG and Eurogamer), there's a whole load of anti-Apple / iPhone bashers, but there are some absolutely corking games out there, on average for less than I was paying for one of Codemaster's New Releases.

Yes, there are some limitations (I've not played a convincing platform game yet), but overall I'm seriously impressed with the device. Had I not got an iPhone already, I'd have bought an iPod Touch and just filled it with games :D

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm

^^ What they said. I was a big GB fan, and then a huge GBA fan and then a massive NDS fan. They can't compete—it's that simple.

As for platform games, they generally aren't great on the platform as yet. However, the Rolando games are platform-oriented and I very much enjoyed Bounce On Lite and am considering the full version. Rat On The Run also looks like it might be good, but I've not tried that one yet.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Must.Eat.Birds. A little throwaway, but so is 59p. The presentation alone makes it worth a punt, 'Maximum Bake!' makes it close to essential.

I kinda want to purchase Mega Man 2 just to see if it's possible for me to get anywhere in such an unforgiving game with touch controls, but I'm scared to have my nostalgic love of the title blasted to smithereens.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Team Alfie wrote:I kinda want to purchase Mega Man 2
forgot about that one!! I downloaded the lite version and whilst that was the first time ever I'd played a mega man title, I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive the controls were.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Sorry but I just don't get it... Most of the screenshots shown seem like the games are largely unoriginal clones of similar games on older systems, just with touch screen controls tacked on.

I'm not against new technology but it just doesn't look very spectacular to me. I'm not that big a fan of handhelds generally though so maybe that's the reason, and since I never listen to music outside of my car or away from my desk at work I have no reason to own an MP3 player anyway...

Interesting question: If you have an iPhone full of games and MP3s and you go on a flight, wouldn't you be banned from actually using it due to it being a phone? :D
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:34 am

michaelf wrote:
Team Alfie wrote:I kinda want to purchase Mega Man 2
forgot about that one!! I downloaded the lite version and whilst that was the first time ever I'd played a mega man title, I was pleasantly surprised at how responsive the controls were.
I don't know about Megaman 2, I've been keeping an eye on it and its gotten pretty terrible reviews all across the board:
http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/967/967531p1.html

On the somewhat upside enemies and bosses deal out far less damage and take much more damage themselves so the game is easier in that respect. A free patch has been released recently thats supposed to sort out a few of the problems and include a classic mode which is meant to be more faithful to the Nes version.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:59 am

witchfinder wrote:Sorry but I just don't get it... Most of the screenshots shown seem like the games are largely unoriginal clones of similar games on older systems, just with touch screen controls tacked on.
That's just ludicrously wrong as a summary of iPod games.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:05 am

sscott wrote:
SirClive wrote:
witchfinder wrote:So it's better than a Gameboy, or a DS, or a Neo Geo Pocket, or a PSP? F
Yes.
Better than a DS with an R4 card though? Not so sure about that! :)
The Iphone is a step above the DS, I have all 3 and the list would be

PSP (sry Iphone may have motion senor and touch screen) but the PSP is still a step above, becuz of the emulators, games and homebrew apps you can get for this , plus the screen is bigger, but no by much

Iphone (savage collection of stuff for it..and getting better with every new titles that appears on, plus some of the apps are incredible too.

DS (still a great handheld, still great games on it..but I'm finding it , I'm spending more time with the Iphone.)

but the Iphone beats it hands down, for portabilty, it's a phone, an internet browser (best one out there) & Ipod etc.. Highly recommended if you can afford one..

here's a few of my favorites on the Iphone at the moment

Need For Speed: Undercover
Price: €5.49 it's dear but worth it. (and I don't even like driving games :) )
brilliant gfx that really show off the Iphone's hardware..

Wild West Guns
Price: 0.79c
if you love Point Blank games..this one is set in the west, excellent graphics and gameplay, a little short, but for 59p, come on, that's value, high recommend this.

Warpack Grunts
Price: 0.79c
this is amazing value, and the best Cannon Fodder remake there is...don't know how they made this without Jon Hare not kicking up a storm :).. get this now..you won't be dispointed.

Rolando
Price: €4.99
if you loved Loco Loco game on the PSP, this one will bring you hours of fun, puzzles, great sounds..all in a phone?...fanatastic stuff..a bit pricey, but for what you get, check it out..it's a go'er!

GalagaRemix
Price: €4.99
again another great remake of a classic shooter, again a bit expensive for a phone app, but just look at those graphics...well worth the handover.

Rick Dangerous
Price: €1.59
a classic remake of and old favorite of mine, I just had to get this one..updated graphics, new enemies to kill and new puzzles makes it a good purchase, but it's very diffcult to get into , due to lousy traps getting you, or not be able to react in time to get out of the way, which made it a bit disappointing in place, but if your up for the challenge, then this is it.
Last edited by Greyfox on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:10 am

witchfinder wrote:Sorry but I just don't get it... Most of the screenshots shown seem like the games are largely unoriginal clones of similar games on older systems, just with touch screen controls tacked on.
Er, given that this is the Retro Gamer forum, where people like retro games, is that really a huge shock? (Plus that was pretty much the entire point of my post—here are some mostly familiar game designs that you might like if you were into 8-bit/16-bit gaming.) That said, controls and environment make a huge difference—look at the Wii versus a 'standard' console for example. Wii Sports is great fun. Now remove the controls and use a d-pad... Ultimately, the platform is about the experience—once you get into it, play it and live it, the whole thing becomes much clearer. (And, as I've said elsewhere, there is literally no other major platform that evokes the old days, in terms of indie development and even pricing.)
Interesting question: If you have an iPhone full of games and MP3s and you go on a flight, wouldn't you be banned from actually using it due to it being a phone?
Nope, since it has an 'airplane mode' that turns off roaming and Wi-Fi. You only have to turn off the device—as with all electronic devices—during take-off and landing.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for a reasonably detailed and intelligent response Craig... ;)

I still won't be buying one though - just not for me. But as I said, I'm not a big fan of handheld consoles generally anyway...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 am

In addition to those games already mentioned. I quite like Drawrace. Online leader boards make it a winner.

WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:38 am

I tried to buy drawrace the other day but as it is over 10mb I needed to be wifi'd up and I forgot when I got home. Will try and remember tonight.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:41 am

How much is Draw Race?

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:How much is Draw Race?
0.99c U.S. I think 79p for you guys ;)

well worth it..just got it myself...very good little game this...
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage