iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: Post your iPod Touch games here

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:06 am

The important thing is, to borrow a slightly irksome Apple phrase, 'think different'. The best games for iPod are the ones that take full advantage of the system or that don't try to ape games from other consoles: Blue Defense, Doodle Jump, Drop7, Eliss, Flight Control, Galcon, Infinity Gene, Mr.AahH!!, etc.

And to be perfectly honest, I was a little sceptical of the controls at first (and in some cases still), but got there after a few weeks. But then that's because of the games more than anything—I can't imagine playing Flight Control on any other system, and it's only possible to play Eliss on a device with some serious multitouch clout.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:25 am

The retro gaming community is going to kill me but...

I'm currently playing Madden on my ipod touch and its brilliant. The controls are awesome (simply touch the receiver you wish to pass to, scroll itunes style through play options, draw custom routes and plays etc.) and the presentation top notch. The only downsides are no multiplayer and terrible commentary. Its also too easy. But its the most fun I've had with a modern sports game in a long time.

Any American football fan should check it out.

Run away, run away...

Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 am

Ok, am getting into it now - Flight control & tiger woods are excellent. Space Invaders infinity is excellent, but I still prefer the DS remake, I just like to be able to press fire!!

Couple of quick questions:

Do you guys use a screen protector?

How do I transfer some paid for content from an old ipod to my touch?

Cant find Droidz in the app store - I assume its been removed?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Ok, am getting into it now - Flight control & tiger woods are excellent. Space Invaders infinity is excellent, but I still prefer the DS remake, I just like to be able to press fire!
SIIG isn't as good as Extreme, I agree. However, it is a very different game, and it's also a hell of a lot cheaper. For the money, it's fantastic, and it's also been picked up by games™ and other publications and reviewed properly, which is a good sign.
Do you guys use a screen protector?
I don't.
How do I transfer some paid for content from an old ipod to my touch?
What type of content? If you're talking audio and video, sync your old device with iTunes (ensuring that it transfers to your PC or Mac, rather than wiping the device) and then sync that content to your iPod touch. If you're talking games, you can't, in the same way you can't play your C64 games on a SNES.
Cant find Droidz in the app store - I assume its been removed?
It's called Androidz now, and, frankly, while it's not bad there are much better games (and dozens of better remakes) on the App Store.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:17 am

CraigGrannell wrote:What type of content? If you're talking audio and video, sync your old device with iTunes (ensuring that it transfers to your PC or Mac, rather than wiping the device) and then sync that content to your iPod touch
Yeh, just some TV shows
CraigGrannell wrote:It's called Androidz now, and, frankly, while it's not bad there are much better games (and dozens of better remakes) on the App Store.
Cheers - im sure its not great from a control point of view - I wonder if its any worse than the Virtual Console effort?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am

TV shows—just sync your iPod with your computer and the content should transfer from the device to your computer. After that, you'll be able to sync it with your iPod touch. Note that I always STRONGLY recommend people with mobile devices purchase on their computer and then sync—it ensures you have multiple copies and lessens the likelihood of things being lost during technical screw-ups.

As for Androidz, the controls aren't bad, but like many retro-oriented games that were designed specifically with an eight-way joystick in mind, the precision just isn't quite there. This makes the game harder than it should be (especially the transfer game), and less fun. Like I said, there are much better remakes and retro games to spend your cash on, so go for those first.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 pm

pforson wrote:The retro gaming community is going to kill me but...

I'm currently playing Madden on my ipod touch and its brilliant. The controls are awesome (simply touch the receiver you wish to pass to, scroll itunes style through play options, draw custom routes and plays etc.) and the presentation top notch. The only downsides are no multiplayer and terrible commentary. Its also too easy. But its the most fun I've had with a modern sports game in a long time.

Any American football fan should check it out.

Run away, run away...

Pete
How much is it?

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:45 pm

There's the catch. It's £5.99. But it did amuse me all last week so not terrible value.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Ah. I have a £2.99 ceiling on iPhone games. I know that is crazy when I keep telling people how much better than the DS it is, but hey ho.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:12 pm

That's a bit mental when you consider you'd have splashed out £3.99 on a budget game for the Speccy in the early 1990s!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 am

Ok, so clearly there is a lot of junk but the games im loving at the moment are:

Flight Control
Virtual Pool
Space Invaders Infinity
Tiger Woods
Dr Awesome
Siberian Strike
Silent Hill
Toki Tori
TIght Wire

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 am

Flight Control and SIIG are favourites of mine also. If you like puzzlers, Drop7 is a must. Also, anyone wanting to know more about Squareball, I interviewed the dev for Cult of Mac yesterday.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:15 am

CraigGrannell wrote:As for Androidz, the controls aren't bad, but like many retro-oriented games that were designed specifically with an eight-way joystick in mind, the precision just isn't quite there. This makes the game harder than it should be (especially the transfer game), and less fun.
Yep, was quite disapointed - it looks great but you cant fire diagonaly which is a real shame.

Anyway, have found some more quality games:

X2 Football 2009 - believe it or not, the controls are pretty good.
Monkey Island - This is my first ever point and click (or should I say rub and press!!) adventure and its excellent
Space Ace - ok, so the gameplay is poor but we all know that's the case with laser disc games, its an excellent version though!!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:15 am

The C64 app is back - Best thing is it now comes with International Soccer!!
Hope it doesn't get pulled by the time I get home!
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/C ... sp?c=16651

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8352178.stm

Good stuff. Football on the itouch.

This week I have been mainly playing Simon the Sorcerer. I'd forgotten how brilliant it is. Last night I bought The Settlers and the little play I had on the train this morning was very promising. BEST HANDHELD EVER! :)