iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: Post your iPod Touch games here

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 am

I hear the Duke port kinda sucks, but the dev is already working on an update to fix the problems. (By comparison, silence from 2KGames regarding Civ Crash Revolution.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I hear the Duke port kinda sucks, but the dev is already working on an update to fix the problems. (By comparison, silence from 2KGames regarding Civ Crash Revolution.)
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/C ... sp?c=14927
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Ok, been playing defender chronicles a lot lately. Brilliant tower defense game (I say this as someone who doesn't normally like tower defense games) it has great rpg elements, buying items for your hero, buying new units etc.

Going cheap at the moment and I recommend it strongly!!
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:19 am

can't believe it!...they've finally allowed it out in the open....what's that I hear you say...take a butchers at this, this has to be covered in the magazine guys
The Free games they give with are a bit rubbish, but, gotta find out how you can put your own on...this is a sweet app :) for more info goto

http://www.c64iphone.com/

C64
Category: Games
Price: $4.99
Released: Aug 21, 2009
Size: 4.0 MB Seller: Manomio LLC

↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 am

I wrote about C64 for Cult of Mac. I don't have the final version yet, but the emulator's quite capable. It'll be interesting to see what games they can get rights to (C64 app is fully legal) and also how well they'll run. In the demo I got, the performance wasn't too bad, although there was evident frameskipping (I think the dev said it was set to 2 or 3 by default, although with iPhones and iPod touches becoming increasingly powerful I can't imagine that'll be an issue for long).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:03 am

Great news. Just bought it and will try it tonight. If any of you iPhone nay-sayers want to check it out while at RR then give me a shout :D

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:20 am

I'll give this a blast when I get home. Cant see many of the classics coming out for it but hopefully there will be enough gems to get my moneys worth.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 am

Being a C64 lover im interested in this and may be the thing that makes my but the device. Dont care about the quality of emulation as im sure it will be spot on in time. What I want to know is how are the controls? Not sure that games such as the Last Ninja would be much cop on a touch screen joystick?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 am

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 am

Hmmm. But I already have it. Does this mean I get to keep it? and if so, how easy is it for me to play other games?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:38 am

Due to the drop in price (and staff discount!) im picking up a 32gb Touch tonight - It had better be as good as some of you are saying........ :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:16 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Due to the drop in price (and staff discount!) im picking up a 32gb Touch tonight - It had better be as good as some of you are saying........ :wink:
The new 32GB iPod touch is RUBBISH, especially compared to my iPhone that's, er, slower and has less space on it. *sob*

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Due to the drop in price (and staff discount!) im picking up a 32gb Touch tonight - It had better be as good as some of you are saying........ :wink:
The new 32GB iPod touch is RUBBISH, especially compared to my iPhone that's, er, slower and has less space on it. *sob*
Eff'ing hell - just read that whilst taking it out the box - thought you were being serious!
Isn't this what apple do though :roll:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 pm

It's what every company does. That doesn't stop me being a little envious of your new, shiny toy!

Anyway, enjoy, and welcome to the fold. If you don't find yourself heavily immersed in the delights of Apple handheld gaming pretty quickly, it'll merely be proof that you have no soul. No pressure or anything!

Aaaand, since we've not had a game mentioned on here for a bit, here's one for the hardcore retro crowd:

Squareball is like the mutant offspring of Pong, Breakout and a hugely simplified Mario-style platformer. Your ball spangs back and forth, and you drag the level left or right, aiming to collect green blocks and avoid holes and red bricks. The game is compelling but unforgiving and hugely frustrating. I really like it, but also hate it. Fans of Defender will probably understand what I mean here.

The dev told me they're working on an update and are considering bundling in my 'wuss mode' request, but for now I can confirm that it is at least possible to get to at least the eighth level—albeit after quite a long battle.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:35 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Anyway, enjoy, and welcome to the fold. If you don't find yourself heavily immersed in the delights of Apple handheld gaming pretty quickly, it'll merely be proof that you have no soul. No pressure or anything!
Well, I love my new MP3 / video player - not 100% about gaming yet - graphics & sound are great but I think its gonna take some time to get used to controls. Was playing some Ferrari racing game and was tilting all over the place which made it difficult to see what I was doing!!