iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Kero blaster is out on ios. It's by the guy who created cave story on the PC

It's ios 7.1 only though but well worth picking up. Retro graphics and sound. A great little game

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:47 am

Alone in the Dark
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=228910

The PC original comes to iOS, looks ancient now (just been watching it on youtube), unsure how the controls will be but i'll pick this up later for a quid (Out at midnight tonight)

Still find it so cool that i've got so many favourites (Duke Nukem/Doom etc) in the palm of my hand !

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:08 am

Been trying out Qvivo

https://web.qvivo.com/

Its in beta but its pretty good, you basically create a free account, you get infinite space (only 5 hours a month for free) and you can upload films or photos.

For the films you have a limit of 5 hours free a month until you have to start paying. Uploaded a few films, its quite cool as the films are streamed so you wont run out of space on your device.

At the moment it seems to add all the details of the film from some database, so if you add your own videos it might not either accept it (Keeps saying pending) or will add the wrong title completely.

But quite good for me, uploaded all the Star Wars films so i can stream those wherever i am. Its free to try, worth giving it a go

scunny

Post by scunny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:57 am

Battleheart Legacy.

Battleheart was great, but this is totally different kind of gme, one character Diablo/Torchlight type game. Cheap price, no IAPs and great value for money, just like an IOS game should be....

This is the first game to tear me away from Hearthstone
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:42 am

^Sounds tempting

So are there lots of missions/sub quests ? What are the controls like ?

scunny

Post by scunny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 am

psj3809 wrote:^Sounds tempting

So are there lots of missions/sub quests ? What are the controls like ?
yep, lots of missions and quests, you move around a large map ( a dot going fromone location to another) locations have multiple sublocations (with a level on them hinting whether you can tackle them) they flash when you have a quest there. (which you get from people with a ! over their heads)

Controls are great, you click on enemies to autoattack, then you have a line of special attacks/spells to trigger when they are ready.

You level up and get 3 skill points to put into one of the usual attributes and train with class trainers who will teach you stuff depending on how high your partofuclar atributes are (you can learn good warrior skills if you invest in strength and good magic if you invest in magic)

You can skill up on numerous classes though and my character is mage/necromancer/bard

goes without saying that you pick up better weapons/armour etc

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks you've sold it !

Prefer joystick controls not tap BUT seen a video of it now and it does seem to be very polished and a lot to it.

Itunes card for me later when i'm at tescos ! Cheers, glad you mentioned this one now

scunny

Post by scunny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 am

:D you will not regret it!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:12 pm

SXPD
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=225752

Ipad only (for now), the next update will make it universal. Great looking 3d Deathchase game, it even mentions it was inspired by that game. Tilt only also but i heard virtual buttons will be an option which will be good. Its free for now for 24 hours, worth picking up

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:02 am

scunny wrote::D you will not regret it!
I'm so glad you mentioned that game ! I somehow passed it before. Been playing it tons !! Second my daughters in bed and the wife puts corrie on then i have a quick 30 mins on it ! Up to about level 12 now, i'm taking my time with it, i dont want to complete it as soon as i can. Been grinding a fair bit but i'm enjoying it in this game. Exceptional value and already one of my games of the year (Along with Monument Valley and Leos Fortune)

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:33 am

psj3809 wrote:
scunny wrote::D you will not regret it!
I'm so glad you mentioned that game ! I somehow passed it before. Been playing it tons !! Second my daughters in bed and the wife puts corrie on then i have a quick 30 mins on it ! Up to about level 12 now, i'm taking my time with it, i dont want to complete it as soon as i can. Been grinding a fair bit but i'm enjoying it in this game. Exceptional value and already one of my games of the year (Along with Monument Valley and Leos Fortune)
Cracking little game isn't it? the dialogue is very funny too. The only flaw I have found is that when you use the necromancer raise skeleton spell, it sometimes crashes so I cant use that any more. Minor annoyance though.

They could easilly have gone down the IAP route, but kudos to them for not.

Level 13 now and thought i was quite tough until I wondered into the Arena/Colisseum thing and lasted about 10 seconds. No idea what level you have to be to hold your own in there.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:28 am

Yeah i'm level 12, got some decent powers but i sometimes enter a 'level 7' zone but get beaten up instantly !

I keep having a flashing icon in the main city (meaning i have to meet somewhere there) but i'm sure i've chatted to everyone but i cant find the sub mission there, frustrating !

I tried attacking the witch but was destroyed in seconds ! But i'm playing this a lot but i'm quite happy doing some grinding and going about getting random encounters. But like you say its amazing theres no IAP, the price of this game is superb compared to how much i've played it. A game like this is one huge reason why i think iOS is amazing, got so many favourites to play though !!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:18 am

Great new game came out this morning.

vvvvvv by Terry Cavanagh
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=232235

Quite a famous indie game. Very difficult in places but great retro style graphics (BBC/C64 style), controls well. Well worth picking up

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:41 am

Life of Pixel is still in development, spoke to the dev and he should have a beta soon. Think this game should get much more love ! I love the PC version, cant wait to have a mobile version with me also...

http://www.lifeofpixel.co.uk/

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:28 am

psj3809 wrote:Kero blaster is out on ios. It's by the guy who created cave story on the PC

It's ios 7.1 only though but well worth picking up. Retro graphics and sound. A great little game
if that'll run on my 4S i'll give it a look - thanks