iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

quantum

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by quantum » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 am

psj3809 wrote:Kavinsky ... a french DJ (??)
One of his songs is in the movie Drive. He seems quite into his retro stuff with an album called "Outrun".

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Is the new leisure suit larry worth getting? Never played any of the originals. Did not dare touch the newer releases due to such bad reviews.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 am

From what i've read the older fans seem to enjoy it for nostalgic purposes, newbies arent so sure though

I was tempted to get it but for me the main issue is filesize as its quite a large size.

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Kind of ashamed to admit it, but lately I've been playing Candy Crush Saga. It's a bit frustrating though, because it's potentially a very good game, but it's marred by an uneven difficulty level and by success vs failure being too heavily influenced by random elements ... presumably all part of the pay to win IAP oriented design.

Sometimes I even wonder if it's not truly random but is tweaked to give a greater chance of failure right when you're close to clearing a level so that you feel enticed into buying more moves.

So far I haven't spent a cent on it. I'm more than happy to pay devs for their hard work, but pay to win IAP would defeat the point if playing, imo.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah liked candy crush then I hit a massive brick wall as I got really far into the game. I could only get past if I bought some cheeky IAP. It got deleted straight away as that's just wrong. I don't mind paying but when you potentially could be spending lots just to progress through a game I hate that. Anyway on to another matter, if this is already up I'm sorry but I don't have the time to read through over 200 pages of this thread lol. Just got Raiden legacy for £1.49 4 games for the price of one. Really good value I feel.

Balders

Post by Balders » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 pm

What bugs me with candy crush is that the strategic elements of trying to set up matches of more than three sweets and also trying to combine the resulting bonuses can be really satisfying, but the farther I push into the game it seems my attempts at strategy are increasingly overshadowed by luck.

It's like a proof of concept of what could be an amazing game that just needs some tweaking to make it less luck dependent. Except I'm sure the devs weren't trying to make the game I want it to be. They wanted to make the money printing machine that it is. I can't say I blame them for that... but I'd really like to play the game it could have been. Maybe I should check out some other match-3 games.

And yeah, the Raiden collection is definitely a good buy. I should put some more time into that. Could be just the thing to wean me off candy crush.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:30 am

For match 3 games you have to try Scurvy Scallywags. Superb!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34 am

Hit the nail on the head, it totally feels like luck that you cleared a stage which is a shame. You just in the end cannot help but feel "yep here we go this is where I need to spend lots on getting any further in the game". Also a shame as you pointed out as its starts so well with the strategy needed to clear levels but it then just disappears.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:43 am

I've been playing Candy Crush quite a bit, like you say some levels you can whizz though and some you seem to be stuck for ages but if you forked out a few quid you'd be past them no problem, the worst I've seen so far is when it asked me to unlock a new batch of levels by either asking friends on facebook, paying to unlock them or complete 3 challenge levels, I went for the 3 challenge levels but you could only do one challenge level every 24 hours, do they actually want people to play this game or is it just some sort of cash cow.
Splink!

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Candy Crush Saga is the most appalling example of a 'pay to win' game going!

The fact that any element of skill is taken away when you hit that certain level makes it almost no different to playing a fruit machine where no matter what options are given to the player, there is no chance to win.

There are too many other good match-3 games on iOS that you can play instead like , as PSJ already stated, Ron Gilbert's Scurvy Scallywags.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Totally agree. I stayed away from Candy Crush as to me thats a really bad example of IAP's. I'm not anti all IAP games but i've read many times that that game seems to want to 'force' you to spend money. Makes it more difficult so you basically have to keep spending money. I dont want to encourage games like that

Scurvy Scallywags is superb and also made by an industry legend (Ron Gilbert)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:38 am

Kung Fu Quest
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=198785

Nice little game by a small team, there are a few issues with it but i know the devs hard at work on an update. To me its like an updated Kung Fu Master or 'homage' to it. Its free to try i think the first 4 levels then its 69p to unlock the rest, so quite a good 'shareware' type of system to see if you like it first. Well worth picking up

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:34 pm

My wife is actuallyplaying a game thats been out for a little while called Pudding Monsters and is completely addicted to it. Just saying is all.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am

It's old I know but just downloaded doom 2 RPG and have to say its pretty good. Only thing is two of the mini hack games I cannot do, even when doing what the instructions are telling you to do on the practice option off the main menu? Its the matrix skip and power up mini games. Anyone have a clue as to some secret knack to doing them? Sorry not wanting to turn this into a games help section.

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I've been playing Kingdom Rush a lot lately, first couple of levels I found a bit too simple/ easy but its gets good and really gets you thinking about strategy. In a way it reminds me of playing the first CIV game, but less complex.. Specifically the war sections of CIV where you have to decide how best to use limited resource and where to place what and shouting at the screen to build/ produce things quicker because your on the brink of collapse! Great fun :D