iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 am

Anyone tried Active Soccer? Looks like Sensi / Kick Off and has iCade support!

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Act ... sp?c=50871
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 am

I tried it a while back. So much potential, but shooting was on a hair-trigger. I'll have to check it again and see if things have improved.

EDIT: I just had a go on the iPad. It's improved somewhat, but the shooting still seems off to me. The other controls are pleasingly Sensi-like, albeit hampered a bit by the touch screen. From what I can tell, you've essentially three options: Easy (ball sticks to the foot); Normal (Sensi-like); Classic (more like Kick Off).

Incidentally, there are retro credentials in the soundtrack, which was composed by Chris Huelsbeck.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Don't mind house of the dead from the very quick to I have had. Not bad looking on my iPhone 4S. I'm sure on the iPhone 5 it would look better but it looks and plays well enough for me

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:15 am

Mad Agents
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=189497

A great retro style game, has NES style graphics and controls. You basically have to get the bomb on each level and take it to the exit, can pick up the stars as well. Theres different powerups you can use (stun the baddies, fire etc).

Really nice retro style game, well worth picking up

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:12 am

Only a hint/rumour but it 'could' be true...

http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/21/newsl ... g-to-ipad/

Be superb if it does happen

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm

silvergunner wrote:Don't mind house of the dead from the very quick to I have had. Not bad looking on my iPhone 4S. I'm sure on the iPhone 5 it would look better but it looks and plays well enough for me
I thought it was really good. The pocket gamer review about needing to buy additional IAP to get off the first boss is dead wrong though. Stuart rinsed it with no effort whatsoever.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Mon May 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Anyone else tried Color Sheep yet ?

Best 69p I spent in ages !

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 am

Aint posted in this topic in awhile.... keep forgetting it's here!

But anyway, one particular game I'll chime in with is "Shadow Escaper". An endless-runner type. This one's reminding me of just why that genre became popular. Lots of fun, though lots of loud f-bomb strings from me as well.

I've played a number of these sorts of games now, but this one is by far the best, and one that goes as one of my favorite iOS games period.

The basic formula is all there; go forward really fast, dodge endless waves of crap that comes at you. But it has it's own set of interesting gimmicks, such as just how the powerups work (the flying one is fun), and the "revenge" thing that happens at the end of each day, where you strike back at your pursuers for bonus points. There's a couple of extra modes as well, though they arent always accessible; the game goes through a cycle of "events", which are pulled offa it's server. There's survival mode, which is more murderous than the normal mode and has a different look and some different obstacles and rewards and there's the bizarre but entertaining Raid mode, which was just added.

There's alot of stuff to unlock, but holy hell does it ever take forever to unlock it. This is NOT an easy game to get 100% completion in.

Which also brings me to the game's only issue: The difficulty. It's not that it's too hard or too easy.... Normal mode is what you start on, and it's challenging, but fairly tame; it'll never go really super fast, the obstacles are simpler, and energy chains are always in a straight line. Jump from that on up to "hard" though, and it's basically going from "hey, not too tough" to "OH GOD HOW DO I STOP DYING". It's not an easy game at all, this one. I havent even tried the third difficulty, which I assume just stomps you with giant spiked boots the moment you begin. You get much better scores and rewards on the higher difficulties though.

There's items and stats to buy and stuff and levels to gain and so on, and the nice thing is that while you CAN buy some with real money, you really dont have to.... everything can be gotten in-game and is actually balanced out quite nicely as to how difficult the various things are to acquire. The costumes in particular though will take ages to acquire, and you CANT just buy them outright. Good luck getting all of THOSE. Also, one tip if you do play it: The character you choose at the start will be the only one unlocked; getting the other one will cost 8 squillion energy things, so that's worth keeping in mind.

So, yeah, I can highly recommend this one if you like this sort of game. There's alot going on with this one, and it's a blast, if you can handle the very high difficulty level. It uses tilt controls plus swiping, as I've seen on many endless-runner types, and they're perfectly accurate, no problems there. Though as I have an iPad I dunno how it'd be on the smaller screen of a phone.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 am

http://chunk.ie/article/12093/video-gam ... s-for-ios/

Ok, R-Type was '87 not '88 but i hope this list offers some options..
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:14 pm

The walking dead is going for free at the moment, well episode 1 anyway. Loving it so far, I can see this being my game of choice during my upcoming holiday!

Eat your nans pants

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Been away a few days. Some great games out

Warhammer which is a great turn based game. And the biggie....

Star Wars knights of the old republic for the iPad. A classic Bioware game

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:10 am

psj3809 wrote:Been away a few days. Some great games out

Warhammer which is a great turn based game. And the biggie....

Star Wars knights of the old republic for the iPad. A classic Bioware game
But how well does it control on the iPad?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Think it controls really well. Doesn't have a joystick but you touch/swipe to walk in a direction and it works really well. Loving it

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 am

9th Dawn
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=191986

Apparently it was a big hit on Android. This is the game i've been after for ages, always been looking for a decent old skool Ultima style game and i think this is it. Click the link above to see a video of it in action.

Great old skool graphics, huge map, tons of quests, loot, caves, goblins. Dual stick so its not slow and turn based so i'm glad the combat works well. Really addictive. Well worth checking out

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:50 am

Scurvy Scallywags looks like a definite purchase today after reading the Pocketgamer review.