iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:27 am

Ha ha i agree. I've unfollowed a few devs, i just want news about their game with updates etc, not to know in detail what they had for lunch or what they think about the weather. Think Jeff should have one account for updates about games and the other for photos about his sheep/farm etc!

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 pm

psj3809 wrote:Ha ha i agree. I've unfollowed a few devs, i just want news about their game with updates etc, not to know in detail what they had for lunch or what they think about the weather. Think Jeff should have one account for updates about games and the other for photos about his sheep/farm etc!
absolutely - tweeting your lunch wont sell many games.

Kevin Toms tweets are also incredibly bland "did some work today". OK, thanks for sharing Kev :lol:

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Nemesis » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:35 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:To clarify, I'm not suggesting Minter's games should be troubling the top ten—there's a ton of ground between fully mainstream and extreme niche (and I certainly don't believe Minter's games sit at the latter end of that spectrum anyway, although they're clearly beyond the mid point on that scale). What I find surprising is how many rabid shooter fans haven't even bothered to check out Gridrunner (which, to my mind, is akin to smashing a Cave game into a shoebox), how many twin-stick aficionados haven't played Minotron, how many vertical climber fans have yet to experience GoatUp, and so on. Perhaps it's the content or the visuals; I don't know. However, from purely Apple's standpoint, it's put games equally as oddball and graphically old-fashioned into its retro round-ups and almost entirely avoided Llamasoft.
I fully agree with the Beans unfortunately. I only just purchased Gridrunner, Goatup2 & Super Ox Wars in the last couple of days. I had no idea he had produced so many games thus far on iOS. It was only because Super Ox Wars was listed in a game collection promoted on the App store that I found his other games. As the Beans has said, it is Jeff's constant referencing of the past which prevents him from having a big hit. Mainly to do with the retro aesthetics which I think puts the mass market off. I would say though that it isn't the game styles which is the problem as there as loads of shooters, platformers etc but how they're presented. It would be an interesting experiment
for Jeff to take one of his existing games such as Super Ox Wars & re-skin it to appear more contemporary then see how it sells (even if he was inclined to do so that is). Could be worth a shot, but then again, perhaps just develop a modern looking shooter from scratch.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

When I last spoke to Jeff, he said the bulk of the style of his games was simply down to what he's capable of creating himself. He could get an artist in, but if he's barely making ends meet right now, how's he going to pay for someone to do the art for a new title? I suppose the content could be made more mainstream, but then you'd lose the character that counters some of the rough edges in the visuals.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Kevin Toms tweets are also incredibly bland "did some work today". OK, thanks for sharing Kev :lol:
I was quite excited by Kevins new game but it seems to be taking forever. Then again devs cant win, they could remain silent and then come out with the game or hype it a month before release, but what with twitter especially its great to get updates but you just want it now now now !

I was quite interested by the new official Elite C64 app, but reading their blurb about the back story to the C64 app...

http://www.elite-systems.co.uk/elite/ht ... hp?show=69

Stuff like that winds me up. If anything emulator authors, old 30 something year olds who keep these games alive or Martijn/Kim from WOS/Lemon 64 should be thanked

But instead we get...

"Lured by the then burgeoning video-game-console market, British game developers and publishers abandoned 8-bit home computers as targets for their games in the mid-nineties. With the near simultaneous arrival of the ‘world wide web’, this void was filled by “archive” sites like Martijn Van Der Weid’s World of Spectrum and Kim Lemon’s Lemon 64. Both sites promoted the use and availability of hardware emulators, enabling thousands of ZX Spectrum and C64 games to be downloaded and played ... entirely without charge. Whilst some publishers, notably Capcom and Activision, swiftly took action to stop their games being made available from these sites, others were more dilatory or worse fell for claims such as, “...the mission of WoS is not to hurt the industry, but to maintain a complete and faithful record of the ZX Spectrum history ...” In practice, the growth of these and similar sites lead to several thousand game copyright owners, (many of whom are now individuals in their late middle age or older), being systematically and comprehensively deprived of any opportunity to enjoy the royalties which their work should have yielded as it transitioned, year by year, from contemporary chart hit to classic retro game. The contrast with the well-healed composers of 80’s pop music is stark."

Total crap, WOS was created initially to keep these games alive as come on be honest, most of which would have disappeared totally. Companies then started re-releasing their old classics as they must have looked around and thought 'damn seen all these old retro sites, people still love these games, never knew, lets re-release and make more money' which is fair enough. But dont slate the sites/people who helped keep these games active/alive out there.

Was a fan of Elite but after reading their crap above on that link i wont be purchasing any of their games (And i had bought every Speccy game from them originally on iOS)

I can play Manic Miner for free on my ipod but i bought the game for the Elite app (and also as a standalone game) as i want to support Elite/Matthew Smith but the crap above wound me up

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 am

Elite has a slightly… odd view at times when it comes to emulation. It's certainly notable that the text refers to publishers and not developers. These days, those 8-bit properties that have known ownership often lie with companies that purchased them in relative fire-sales for almost nothing. For the most part, those people who were involved in creating the games aren't benefitting from their work being reissued a million times. I've also heard some not very nice behind-the-scenes stuff relating to said iOS emulation and competition that makes me rather happy to avoid it entirely.

As for Twitter, it is what it is. I've had people moan at me that I should only write about tech or write about games or write about Apple. But it's my feed. It's mostly tech/games/Apple, but sometimes it's mini schnauzers or music. The same goes for everyone else. The great thing about Twitter though is that it's asynchronous. There's none of this friending/defriending thing—everyone just follows who they want to follow, and the connect/disconnect process is entirely invisible.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:41 am

But he does kinda talk about the games being hosted/played tons hurting the original IP owners as "being systematically and comprehensively deprived of any opportunity to enjoy the royalties which their work should have yielded as it transitioned, year by year, from contemporary chart hit to classic retro game. The contrast with the well-healed composers of 80’s pop music is stark.""

To me personally if it wasnt for sites like WOS/Lemon these games would have totally have disappeared, would they have re-emerged on later platforms or iOS, perhaps. But i firmly believe these sites helped keep these games 'alive' and people now in their 30's are lapping up retro compilations (despite having them for 'free' on their emulator). I've bought many on my PC or ipod despite having them available to me via emulator.

So again i think WOS/Lemon should be applauded. Elite are talking like these old games would have been more valuable year after year to classic status (and no doubt 'more valuable') in the eyes of Elite.

But i suppose fair play to Elite, 'so far' they havent denied any games from WOS which is a good idea as you've got a huge fanbase there who would probably buy a fair few Elite Speccy games (despite having them already)

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:53 am

psj3809 wrote:The contrast with the well-healed composers of 80’s pop music is stark.
Well, most of those people still get royalties, even if the record companies do their best to fiddle the figures and minimise what they pay. With games, the publishers are who reap the rewards, with relatively few of the people who made the games getting any money. There are some exceptions, but one of the very common things I find in all legal emulation when doing Retro Gamer interviews is those who made the games nothing they're getting nothing. Note that I'm not against publishers and IP owners getting money for the properties they bought and marketed; I just find it a bit rich when comparisons start getting made with another industry when the payment structures are very different. That line you quoted would suggest WoS and Lemon64 have deprived the Braybrooks of this world getting income for their work, when the reality is that who's getting paid is much more likely to be whoever owns the Paradroids.
To me personally if it wasnt for sites like WOS/Lemon these games would have totally have disappeared, would they have re-emerged on later platforms or iOS, perhaps. But i firmly believe these sites helped keep these games 'alive' and people now in their 30's are lapping up retro compilations (despite having them for 'free' on their emulator). I've bought many on my PC or ipod despite having them available to me via emulator.
I agree. More to the point, many of the companies releasing emulated products are actually using cracks that were available online. It's pretty hypocritical for them to moan at length about the horrors of piracy and freely available 30-year-old games when they then take cracks and use them within emulators, thereby technically also breaching copyright. (The games are their IP, but anything further—modifications, intros, etc.—are not.)
But i suppose fair play to Elite, 'so far' they havent denied any games from WOS which is a good idea as you've got a huge fanbase there who would probably buy a fair few Elite Speccy games (despite having them already)
Yes, I agree there. The savvy move, of course, is to embrace the existing culture and encourage people to buy/rebuy, purely through offering a fantastic user experience. This is where Apple largely succeeded with music. At the time, so many people were downloading from the likes of Napster. iTunes barges in, provides an affordable and easy way to get music legally, and suddenly there's a much, much bigger legal industry, driven by the simple fact it's less hassle to get something in iTunes than mess about with dodgy services and torrents. That's how emulation should be. Make the games affordable and make the emulation systems amazing. Make it so I'd sooner go into your app and spend 69p on a game than muck about online trying to find it in sites that have broken links and pop-ups galore.

On that scale, Elite's sort of moving in the right direction, but the last time I checked the apps out, they were astonishingly bloated (through using absolutely massive PNG backgrounds) and had a irritating user experience for finding games. Why more companies can't go for something simple and straightforward, I don't know. (See also: Pinball Arcade.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 am

psj3809 wrote:I was quite interested by the new official Elite C64 app, but reading their blurb about the back story to the C64 app...

http://www.elite-systems.co.uk/elite/ht ... hp?show=69

Stuff like that winds me up. If anything emulator authors, old 30 something year olds who keep these games alive or Martijn/Kim from WOS/Lemon 64 should be thanked

But instead we get...

"Lured by the then burgeoning video-game-console market, British game developers and publishers abandoned 8-bit home computers as targets for their games in the mid-nineties. With the near simultaneous arrival of the ‘world wide web’, this void was filled by “archive” sites like Martijn Van Der Weid’s World of Spectrum and Kim Lemon’s Lemon 64. Both sites promoted the use and availability of hardware emulators, enabling thousands of ZX Spectrum and C64 games to be downloaded and played ... entirely without charge. Whilst some publishers, notably Capcom and Activision, swiftly took action to stop their games being made available from these sites, others were more dilatory or worse fell for claims such as, “...the mission of WoS is not to hurt the industry, but to maintain a complete and faithful record of the ZX Spectrum history ...” In practice, the growth of these and similar sites lead to several thousand game copyright owners, (many of whom are now individuals in their late middle age or older), being systematically and comprehensively deprived of any opportunity to enjoy the royalties which their work should have yielded as it transitioned, year by year, from contemporary chart hit to classic retro game. The contrast with the well-healed composers of 80’s pop music is stark."

Total crap, WOS was created initially to keep these games alive as come on be honest, most of which would have disappeared totally. Companies then started re-releasing their old classics as they must have looked around and thought 'damn seen all these old retro sites, people still love these games, never knew, lets re-release and make more money' which is fair enough. But dont slate the sites/people who helped keep these games active/alive out there.

Was a fan of Elite but after reading their crap above on that link i wont be purchasing any of their games (And i had bought every Speccy game from them originally on iOS)

I can play Manic Miner for free on my ipod but i bought the game for the Elite app (and also as a standalone game) as i want to support Elite/Matthew Smith but the crap above wound me up
While I'm broadly in agreement with your opinions here I'd like to comment too.

One thing from your outraged comments in defense of World Of Spectrum that came to mind is your past record for posting vociferously of your objection to the fact that publishers such as Rare Ltd have refused WOS permission to distribute their old Ultimate Play The Game titles. You say it's "fair enough" that companies are allowed to re-release their old IP but as it's their legal right to do so yours or anyone else's opinion on the matter is a moot point. However, your standpoint here of "fair enough" simply doesn't chime with your past objections to companies such as Rare Ltd only doing what they're legally entiled to do.

Yes, I know that as well as illegally pirating old game ROMs you also support the industry by purchasing legal downloads of old re-released games too so please don't think my agenda is to paint you in a negative light. It was nothing more than the seeming contradiction in your standpoint here relative to what you've said in the past.

CraigGrannell wrote:Yes, I agree there. The savvy move, of course, is to embrace the existing culture and encourage people to buy/rebuy, purely through offering a fantastic user experience. This is where Apple largely succeeded with music. At the time, so many people were downloading from the likes of Napster. iTunes barges in, provides an affordable and easy way to get music legally, and suddenly there's a much, much bigger legal industry, driven by the simple fact it's less hassle to get something in iTunes than mess about with dodgy services and torrents. That's how emulation should be. Make the games affordable and make the emulation systems amazing. Make it so I'd sooner go into your app and spend 69p on a game than muck about online trying to find it in sites that have broken links and pop-ups galore.
And Apple allowing iOS device owners a (legal) way of pairing PS360 gamepads with their iThings via bluetooth. Grrrrr!
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 am

Yep good point about Apple, when prices of songs were suddenly so much more realistic (and the same as Europe etc) people seemed to buy more and more

With apps 69p or a quid or two theres no way i'm finding dodgy sites to download free apps.

When some companies take the biscuit (I'm not a fan of Namco Arcade with individual games 2 or 3 quid compared to Midway Arcade) i just avoid them.

I do like the Elite Speccy app but yeah the filesize seemed quite large and its a bit of a faff at times. Shame its so difficult to get the copyright for a lot of games as a fair few of their packs (eg the Nexus one) didnt have any stunning games.

I hope the C64 app does well for them and fair play to them for offering refunds on the now defunct Retro gamers (and some other one they had) apps they released to much fanfare (and then nothing was added).

Its like Gridlee (MAME), i have that but i prefer to buy the original iOS games (ones from Dotemu) if they're released as i want to support them.

psj3809
Posts: 19009
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:51 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:While I'm broadly in agreement with your opinions here I'd like to comment too.

One thing from your outraged comments in defense of World Of Spectrum that came to mind is your past record for posting vociferously of your objection to the fact that publishers such as Rare Ltd have refused WOS permission to distribute their old Ultimate Play The Game titles. You say it's "fair enough" that companies are allowed to re-release their old IP but as it's their legal right to do so yours or anyone else's opinion on the matter is a moot point. However, your standpoint here of "fair enough" simply doesn't chime with your past objections to companies such as Rare Ltd only doing what they're legally entiled to do.

Yes, I know that as well as illegally pirating old game ROMs you also support the industry by purchasing legal downloads of old re-released games too so please don't think my agenda is to paint you in a negative light. It was nothing more than the seeming contradiction in your standpoint here relative to what you've said in the past.
Well as you probably can see here or on WOS (formerly) i post a lot ! So granted i might either change my view or due to my old age just forgot what i've put two years ago on a thread on WOS kinda thing ;) Plus touch typing at a crazy speed i dont always check what i've put (yeah yeah i know i should do)

At the end of the day i want to buy games legally, if i can i do. If i cant i dont feel bad using an emulator. I'm glad Elite denied all their games they own on iOS on WOS, i feel that would do a fair bit of damage.

Yes its their legal right to do what they want with their games, just frustrating if they do nothing when 'i hope' a fair few people would love to play it legally or an updated version. Look at Lucasarts, i hope we'll see those games again, Disney might just sit on them denying anyone the opportunity to buy the rights to them or produce new updates for those games. Shame.

Again its a tough one, yeah its their 'right' but seems a bit petty. Plus sites like WOS/Lemon as i said have done tons for the retro scene.

I shall now go through your thousands of posts and look for any slight contradictions you may have posted ! ;)

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 am

psj3809 wrote:I shall now go through your thousands of posts and look for any slight contradictions you may have posted ! ;)
I too reserve the right to change my mind! :lol:

ProTip: Check my intial 'Wii U sucks' posts relative to my recent 'Wii U rocks' posts!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:00 am

psj3809 wrote:I do like the Elite Speccy app but yeah the filesize seemed quite large and its a bit of a faff at times. Shame its so difficult to get the copyright for a lot of games as a fair few of their packs (eg the Nexus one) didnt have any stunning games.
I'm not a big fan of the pack thing. Companies bulk up the numbers, but then knowingly release packs with one decent title and three you'd never touch. I suppose it's the nature of that side of the industry, but I'd sooner just have a straight alphabetical list and 69p per title, regardless. Treat it more like a song catalogue than a bunch of compilations.
I hope the C64 app does well for them and fair play to them for offering refunds on the now defunct Retro gamers (and some other one they had) apps they released to much fanfare (and then nothing was added).
Elite really needs to sort itself out on iOS, because its offering right now is a horrible mess. There's so much duplication and it at times looks like the company doesn't really have a strategy in place, and certainly not a long-term one. I imagine part of the C64 issue is down to rights—I know Manomio went full-on regarding legal licensing, and so perhaps Elite had to fudge things by playing the 'retro' game rather than using any titling that referred to the C64 machine. Still, the refund offer is a smart move, purely on the basis of trust—after all, if you'd already bought a bunch of IAP content for an app that's been discontinued and replaced with something almost identical, would you buy again?
Its like Gridlee (MAME), i have that but i prefer to buy the original iOS games (ones from Dotemu) if they're released as i want to support them.
As I've mentioned on here before, it's a pity the Capcom developer who created Capcom Arcade didn't get further with his original vision. That was supposed to be an arcade, which other companies could offer their machines through. I imagine most wouldn't want to lose 'control' in that manner, but an iOS arcade would be hugely compelling, rather than a bunch of individual apps, most of which really aren't that good. (I quite like Midway's one, but Atari's has terrible controls, and I've no idea what Namco's doing these days, but it's rarely good.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:11 pm

I dont mind what Elite are doing, but it's a bit haphazard. Some games standalone, some in App purchase as packs.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I dont mind what Elite are doing, but it's a bit haphazard. Some games standalone, some in App purchase as packs.
Yep, the user interface/menu system could do with some improvement.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests