iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:33 am

merman wrote:The biggest problem for iCade and similar controls is that they cannot mention the word iCade anywhere in the app...
Yeah i've heard thats changed now or Apple are more 'relaxed' about it. But before they couldnt mention it at all. All a bit ridiculous really

Anyway two new games today...

Alpha Squadron
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174344

Was out previously on Android, seems like a decent Rogue Squadron clone ,had a quick go of the first level and its not too bad, looks to be a fair few different levels. Looking forward to having a go of this later - how i wish Rogue Squadron would come to iOS though

Egg Head
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174346

Someone asked Jonathan Cauldwell if they could create an updated iOS version of his game, this ones FREE by the way, worth a shot, old skool platformer with updated graphics. Worth a shot, not bad

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 am

Kickboxingshrimp wrote:Can't...stop....playing...Simpsons....tapped..........
Add me on origin mate, i'll add you back.

Origin ID: Slick2097

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 am

Fair few games out today, some of them...

Lode Runner Classic
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174696

Temple Run 2
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174669

Final Fantasy - All the bravest
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174683

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 am

psj3809 wrote:Fair few games out today, some of them...

Lode Runner Classic
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174696
Ha! That's awesome! Somebody please, please, please tell me that it has iCade support. :shock:
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm

Infestor
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174682

From the makes of league of evil, their next platform game. Retro style graphics, looks really good (been playing the flash version)

I'll get the Lode Runner game tonight and remind me to test it on iCade tomorrow if i forget. Hope it works

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 pm

psj3809 wrote:I'll get the Lode Runner game tonight and remind me to test it on iCade tomorrow if i forget. Hope it works
Cheers, psj. Most appreciated! :)

Kickboxingshrimp

Post by Kickboxingshrimp » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Slick2097 wrote:
Kickboxingshrimp wrote:Can't...stop....playing...Simpsons....tapped..........
Add me on origin mate, i'll add you back.

Origin ID: Slick2097

Ste.
Done :)
Stay Tuna`d

www.kickboxingshrimp.com

Xbox Live Account : KBS Dot Com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 am

Well Lode Runner isnt even universal which is a bit of a cop out as most games are, so it doesnt run on the ipad, you have to do the x 2 zoom thing which is 'old skool'. Doesnt seem to run on the iCade. I hope they'll do an update soon to possibly sort out that type of thing.

On the plus side this game runs on the icade, Gunslugs...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=174754

Its very good, the makers OrangePixel have a lot of very good games all iCade compatible - Meganoid 1 and 2, Stardash (Great mario land clone) and many others. Well worth supporting them

quantum

Post by quantum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm

@psj3809 - as you're the resident iOS game expert :mrgreen: what is your top iCade recommendation for someone who didn't really enjoy Forget-me-not. I tried, I really did, but just didn't have that much fun. :(

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Great post, psj. You slap me with one hand, but with the other offer a cookie. A very sweet cookie too. :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm

quantum wrote:@psj3809 - as you're the resident iOS game expert :mrgreen: what is your top iCade recommendation for someone who didn't really enjoy Forget-me-not. I tried, I really did, but just didn't have that much fun. :(
Fair few listed here...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96023

My favourites...

Atari, activision anthology, super crossfire, star dash, gunslugs, goat up, inc , aemulda oldies, super cratebox

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:12 am

Finally came today. Bought an HDMI adapter for my ipad, its superb !

Connect it to the bottom of the ipad, add the HDMI cable and hey presto you can mirror whats on your ipad screen to your tv

Its superb, obviously photos/films work well, tried BBC i player and that was great. But if you've got a portable gaming device (eg 8-bitty) its superb to sit back and play a game on that. Its like having a portable console you can easily connect to

I bought it straight from Apple (35 quid) as despite cheaper ones on amazon i read a few bad comments about the cheaper ones.

But a great device, been reading graphic novels/books on it, tons of photos, videos and other apps. Useful as well (eg the wife wanted to browse the ikea catalogue) to see that on the bigger screen.

Well worth picking up

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 am

psj3809 wrote:Finally came today. Bought an HDMI adapter for my ipad, its superb !

Connect it to the bottom of the ipad, add the HDMI cable and hey presto you can mirror whats on your ipad screen to your tv

Its superb, obviously photos/films work well, tried BBC i player and that was great. But if you've got a portable gaming device (eg 8-bitty) its superb to sit back and play a game on that. Its like having a portable console you can easily connect to

I bought it straight from Apple (35 quid) as despite cheaper ones on amazon i read a few bad comments about the cheaper ones.

But a great device, been reading graphic novels/books on it, tons of photos, videos and other apps. Useful as well (eg the wife wanted to browse the ikea catalogue) to see that on the bigger screen.

Well worth picking up
I have Apple TV, which does this also (as well as the HDMI adapter which I've used erm once....) and it's great because you can do all that, but totally wirelessly. I know it costs more, but the benefit to me is ace - my apple TV runs into my home AV system so I can stream movies and music too, which no lag. Very nice.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:29 am

Mootown wrote:I have Apple TV, which does this also (as well as the HDMI adapter which I've used erm once....) and it's great because you can do all that, but totally wirelessly. I know it costs more, but the benefit to me is ace - my apple TV runs into my home AV system so I can stream movies and music too, which no lag. Very nice.
This sounds good ! So is it 'roughly' the same but like you say wirelessly. So say you put the HDMI cable from your TV into the Apple TV box. You then turn on your ipad or iphone and then wirelessly play films/games through your Apple TV box straight to your TV ?

Sounds like i actually need the Apple TV.

Looked it up on their site, it mentions Airplay but i'm surprised they dont go on about mirroring/gaming more, mostly seem to go on about watch videos/photos etc

Might return these two cables and go for the Apple TV then

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 am

You need to ensure you meet the minimum requirements -

Minimum requirements for AirPlay Mirroring
For best performance, make sure that your system meets AirPlay Mirroring minimum requirements.

iPhone 4S or iPad 2 (and later) with iOS 5 and later
Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) with software version 5.0 or later
An 802.11a, -g or -n wireless network

Because it streams via your router, if your router sucks it can be an issue. I have sky HD and use the one sky give you and it works fine, I don't play many games using the air-play feature, but I do watch movies, music, show photos to family, check out google maps etc. There are some games as well designed to use it, that car one (real racing?) maybe uses it really well but I get a bit of lag as I imagine it's a bit too intensive for my crappy router!

Apple TV also comes with loads of other stuff built-in, like netflix, and itunes movies and youtube - if you have really decent internet speeds it's an ace device. Note that Apple TV 2nd gen and 3rd gen look EXACTLY the same - but 3rd gen is better (better processor, 1080p resolution - 2nd gen is only 720p unless you 'jail break' it)