iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:33 am

Should be some releases later tonight

This ones already out, Pinball Kid...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2620503

Free to try, 69p to get rid of the ads. Reminds me of pocketeers ! I'll post what i wrote on an iOS site...

Ahhhh they dont make them like this anymore !

This is a real old skool pinball-ish type of game. Back in the early 80's you had toys called 'Pocketeers' (Well in the UK at least), they were small handheld devices, didnt require batteries and had a whole range of different games. The pinball games were tiny ball bearings and you could flick one into the play area and then with your one bat try to tap the ball to get lots of points (which you would then write down as you didnt have online scores back then !).

This is a great recreation of those days, it has 3 tables, all quite different, one table has one bat on the side, another is a more 'traditional' pinball with left/right bats.

Love the way the ball bearings fall down one by one, really reminds me of those old 80's handheld games.

Free to try, 69p to get rid of the ads. Just bought it as i want the dev to get a lot of sales (which means more tables i hope !)

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Just got an iCade, awesome!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:51 pm

merman wrote:Just got an iCade, awesome!
Great stuff !

Have you got iMame on your device ? I managed to get hold of that the other Xmas when Apple accidentally released it to the app store for 2 days. That works SO well with the iCade

The C64/Speccy apps work with the iCade as i'm sure you know !

Theres a list here, not updated tons but still helpful...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96023

The Atari app, Activision and the Vectrex ones are SOOOO good with the iCade

Enjoy !!

rupert

Post by rupert » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

psj3809 wrote:
merman wrote:Just got an iCade, awesome!
Great stuff !

Have you got iMame on your device ? I managed to get hold of that the other Xmas when Apple accidentally released it to the app store for 2 days. That works SO well with the iCade

The C64/Speccy apps work with the iCade as i'm sure you know !

Theres a list here, not updated tons but still helpful...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=96023

The Atari app, Activision and the Vectrex ones are SOOOO good with the iCade

Enjoy !!

Also League of Evil 1 and 2 I would recomend for the iCade (if you enjoy 2D platformers)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 am

FWIW, my iPad iCade folder contains: Atari's Greatest Hits, Gridrunner, Ice Rage, iMAME, LOE2, Midway Arcade, Pac-Man, Qwak HD, Retro Racing, Super Crate Box and Vectrex. I'd also highly recommend grabbing whac-a-mole-style game Match Panic and using that with an iCade—way more fun (and it's fun anyway).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 am

Bought Joe Danger last night (came out at midnight), really good game. Very polished, think it was an x-box game ?

Plays very well, tier 2 pricing so i think its about £1.49, well worth it. Controls very well, great looking game, well worth it

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 am

CraigGrannell wrote:FWIW, my iPad iCade folder contains: Atari's Greatest Hits, Gridrunner, Ice Rage, iMAME, LOE2, Midway Arcade, Pac-Man, Qwak HD, Retro Racing, Super Crate Box and Vectrex. I'd also highly recommend grabbing whac-a-mole-style game Match Panic and using that with an iCade—way more fun (and it's fun anyway).
Thanks for the recommendations, I already had several games that use it and the Atari compilation.

quantum

Post by quantum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Wish speedball 2 worked with iCade... It's not exactly hard to add iCade support either. Grrr :twisted:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:59 am

quantum wrote:Wish speedball 2 worked with iCade... It's not exactly hard to add iCade support either. Grrr :twisted:
The problem with iCade now is the fragmentation of the ecosystem. The original iCade and the current Core models provide eight face buttons, but no-one thought to give devs any indication of what any of them should do. When handheld iCade-compatible controllers arrived, most had four face buttons, 'start/select' and two shoulder buttons, and the mapping's all over the place. The best of them is the (admittedly pricey—it's about 50 quid in the UK) SteelSeries Free, but even that has some problems, such as with Qwak HD. (Obviously, if you've the space and an iPad, the original iCade is great, especially as you can often get them at knock-down prices; and the Core is also impressive.)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 am

CraigGrannell wrote:no-one thought to give devs any indication of what any of them should do.
Make them user definable? Pretty obvious really. Why any game wouldn't have that option in the last couple of decades makes no sense.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

It's not as simple as that though. iCades are really keyboards, faking letter presses, so it's not a case of "assign [action] to [button]", unless you have the user state what device they're using, so the app can pick up the mapping. The OS hasn't got a clue that the controller has a stick/D-pad and a bunch of buttons, nor where they are.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:50 pm

A keyboard makes it very simple indeed, all the more baffling it isn't a standard option. All it needs is to detect the device, check if its been used before (a trivial save setting in the game) and request a key definition if not.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I was thinking about it backwards. I guess you could have an interface where you prod 'left' then move left on the D-pad, and so on, which would enable a game to configure itself for your device. I'm not sure why more devs don't do this, but then only a tiny handful include iCade support anyway.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:46 am

The biggest problem for iCade and similar controls is that they cannot mention the word iCade anywhere in the app...

Kickboxingshrimp

Post by Kickboxingshrimp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 am

Can't...stop....playing...Simpsons....tapped..........
Stay Tuna`d

www.kickboxingshrimp.com

Xbox Live Account : KBS Dot Com