iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809
Posts: 18883
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am

Well just bought Ultra Dario which has just come out (get it before its pulled !)

69p, total total Mario clone, its actually pretty good, buttons need to be bigger though as they are small, apart from that 22 levels with more 'coming soon' (if Apple dont pull it !).

For my strategy fix i tried the lite version of Tank Battle: 1944 which wasnt bad, bit too basic if anything. I then liked the look of Combat Mission: Touch, graphics looked great, took a while to get into but i'm slowly playing it and enjoying it.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=503

Gave up trying to find another WW2 game so gave Hunters a go. Why didnt i play this before !! Hunters 1 (Hunters 2 is also out) is great, its like an updated Rebelstar/Laser Squad game, take it in turns etc, really loving it so i'm playing this a lot. Bought Hunters agessss ago and just didnt 'click', played it again and loved it

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Rayne » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:21 pm

I can definitely recommend DJMAX Ray! It takes the classic, frantic DJ Max play style and it works perfectly on a touchscreen (in fact, I'd almost say it's better than the buttons on the PSP versions!).

The download is free with 5 songs, more song packs can then be purchased. The only negative I can see is that the traditional animated videos that accompany the songs have been sacrificed and replaced with static images, though I can forgive that for a mobile download :D

Quality game, fairly priced!
Image

Rockford
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:05 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Rockford » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:16 am

Sonic fans keep an eye out for Polyroll:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=135784

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Rayne wrote:I can definitely recommend DJMAX Ray! It takes the classic, frantic DJ Max play style and it works perfectly on a touchscreen (in fact, I'd almost say it's better than the buttons on the PSP versions!).

The download is free with 5 songs, more song packs can then be purchased. The only negative I can see is that the traditional animated videos that accompany the songs have been sacrificed and replaced with static images, though I can forgive that for a mobile download :D

Quality game, fairly priced!
I was interested in the Vita version so I have this a try. Its damn good especially as its free (which was a nice surprise). Seems like I'd find it really additive and its pretty hard from the get go (I made the mistake of speeding up the notes significantly early on!). I really like it :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Rayne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:46 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Rayne wrote:I can definitely recommend DJMAX Ray! It takes the classic, frantic DJ Max play style and it works perfectly on a touchscreen (in fact, I'd almost say it's better than the buttons on the PSP versions!).

The download is free with 5 songs, more song packs can then be purchased. The only negative I can see is that the traditional animated videos that accompany the songs have been sacrificed and replaced with static images, though I can forgive that for a mobile download :D

Quality game, fairly priced!
I was interested in the Vita version so I have this a try. Its damn good especially as its free (which was a nice surprise). Seems like I'd find it really additive and its pretty hard from the get go (I made the mistake of speeding up the notes significantly early on!). I really like it :D
Didn't know there was a Vita version due! Awesome :D
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18883
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Rockford wrote:Sonic fans keep an eye out for Polyroll:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=135784
Yep i cant wait for this, comes out this Wednesday !

His other game (Clash Force) is an excellent retro platformer which plays very well on iOS. But after seeing the video for Polyroll i really want to get this the second its out on weds

User avatar
resident paul
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by resident paul » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Watching the IGN review of 'The Duo Gamer - IOS controller'

It looks basic but it does the job!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84x0VKc ... re=g-all-u
Image

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Great. More iOS controller fragmentation—just what we all needed. Also, looks cheap, despite costing $80.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13159
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Hoping the Rayman game is good, can't be arsed playing it tonight though....
Image

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:06 am

sscott wrote:Hoping the Rayman game is good, can't be arsed playing it tonight though....
I really enjoyed it, I've played through it several times on my iphone and ipad...

I'm really addicted to DJ Max at the mo though, I've got the hang of the normal difficulty but the harder difficulties are nuts :lol: Really nice responsive controls though, leagues better than the Guitar Hero games I played on the DS a couple of years back.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6488
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by merman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:57 am

Somehow I've ended up with a load of unplaced stuff, should stop reading tweets/RSS feeds pointing me to free stuff.

However, one little gem I want to point out is free right now - Shepherd from Infinite State Games is currently free, updated with improved graphics. Stop the aliens stealing your sheep!
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809
Posts: 18883
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 am

iOS gaming is getting better than ever, some upcoming games...

Ravensword 2
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=47996

Latest teaser trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Tm9xEo ... r_embedded

Looks a huge openworld to discover, tons of missions.

Oceanhorn
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=112678

Zelda style game, have a look at the latest trailer, think it looks great.

Not sure of the release date for both of them though.

Then theres Baldurs Gate coming now late Nov (was meant to be Sept), ipad only but looking forward to that. A new revamped Carmegeddon game also which should be out in the next month hopefully, from the trailer it looks great.

psj3809
Posts: 18883
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 am

Zaxxon Escape is coming soon to iOS/Android

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/10/01/coming ... on-escape/

Looks a totally different type of game rather than just the old one with new graphics. Hopefully it'll be decent, cant tell too much at the moment

User avatar
TheNewMonkey
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Dreamcast Racer Re-Volt is up on the app store, bit to pricey for me, but will get it once it drops :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

User avatar
TheNewMonkey
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:22 am

Lost Winds is free on the AppStore today, really good quality little game, i played through them both on the wii a couple of years ago, wonder how it holds up with touch screen controls...
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests