iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Mootown » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:50 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Battle Squadron ONE - finally on promo for 69p! :D :D :D
I had this since launch, thought the controls sucked - its really sluggish compared to how CAVE do their controls. Which is a shame as the conversion is spot-on graphically and sonically.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Actually scratch that last comment - its been updated since and now controls fine :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I find the controls a little too responsive meaning I sometimes move the craft too quickly across the screen and end up hitting something. Maybe they've overcompensated since ver.1.0!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm still loving Dream League Soccer. Its free, granted there are IAP's, i've only bought one (more coins) as a 'thankyou' to the devs. But i love it, sign new players, drop crappy ones. Lots of leagues and cups, best 'match day' game i've played on iOS. Controls work so well, i've now played about 300 games (ahem). But love it, scored some great goals

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I find the controls a little too responsive meaning I sometimes move the craft too quickly across the screen and end up hitting something. Maybe they've overcompensated since ver.1.0!
If you go into settings and for controls pick the 'finger' (not finger x2) it seems about right to me.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Mootown wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I find the controls a little too responsive meaning I sometimes move the craft too quickly across the screen and end up hitting something. Maybe they've overcompensated since ver.1.0!
If you go into settings and for controls pick the 'finger' (not finger x2) it seems about right to me.
Cheers! I just had a quick blast using that contol scheme and it's far better. More Cave-like, but not as great as the Cave iOS games obviously.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:37 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Mootown wrote:
Cheers! I just had a quick blast using that contol scheme and it's far better. More Cave-like, but not as great as the Cave iOS games obviously.
Plus the game is still as nails as it always was!

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 am

I loving VS. Racing 2 at the moment.

More drifting in this than the original so plays a little bit more like Reckless Racing (the original, not the less fun sequel).
Visuals are nice as well. Well worth 69p!

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 am

StickHead wrote:
PubZombie wrote:Hi all,
Just acquired an icade cabinet YIPPEEEE :D
What games do you guys recommend?? I am online looking for a definitive list but there seems to be omissions and a lot are out of date.
Cheers..
Pz
Have you looked at the official Ion site? http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

My favourites:

Mos Speedrun
Retro Racing
Super Crate Box
Metal Slug 3
League of Evil
Forget Me Not
Gridrunner

Hopefully Qwak HD is iCade compatible, because it is awesome and the iCade will make it moresome.

If you only get one, get Gridrunner. It's one of the best shooters ever made.

I certainly can back up the comment about Gridrunner; it's bloody amazing. It's rare indeed that you'd find a shmup better than that one.

Forget-Me-Not is another one I constantly recommend. I mostly play the PC version myself, but really, either version is utter brilliance. This still remains one of my absolute favorites of the iOS library, and considering that I have like 250+ games on there that I like, that's saying something.

And finally, Super Crate Box. Even with on-screen controls, this one works pretty much perfect. It's not easy to get touchscreen controls right, when you're basically emulating a controller, but this is one of the games where the devs really knew what they were doing. Another very excellent (and addictive) game.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am

Gridrunner is okay but its been done better awhile back elsehwere in Monster Dash by Halfbrick Games.

Also the miles better sequel which uses Jetpacks and robot add ons (there's even a bike to ride!) is one of the best iOS games I've ever played:

http://www.halfbrick.com/our-games/jetpack-joyride/
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:59 am

Just bought Busy Superhero for 69p

Says it has more than 120 mini games i've had a fair few repeat but i'm still really enjoying it. The usual minigame Warioware Inc type game, complete about 12 mini games and then 'fight the boss' at the end of the stage , stage 1 is like operation wolf, tap the enemies. You have 5 lives to try and get to the end

Been playing at lunch, great little game for 69p

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Gridrunner is okay but its been done better awhile back elsehwere in Monster Dash by Halfbrick Games.

Also the miles better sequel which uses Jetpacks and robot add ons (there's even a bike to ride!) is one of the best iOS games I've ever played:

http://www.halfbrick.com/our-games/jetpack-joyride/
We've got our wires crossed somewhere, chap!

Monster Dash: top notch endless runner. Gridrunner: Jeff Minter's brilliant centipede-esque shoot 'em up.

Here's Gridrunner for clarification:

The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:58 am

Moto Heroz is free on the AppStore today

It made by red lynx, the guys that made trials hd.

Really decent little game
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 am

I'm going to give a quick plug to Frutorious from Infinite State Games.

I helped playtest it, and it's brilliant. Cute graphics, great music and FX and some tricky puzzle/platforming gameplay. There's also an extra Frutorious Pro mode that resembles a 1980s coin-op with retro style graphics.

The game is FREE with IAP unlocking extra levels, extra coins (for Pro mode and power-ups) or a big bundle of everything (a bit like Magnetic Billiards' Skeleton Key did).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:37 am

So you're all playing Super Hexagon, right? Right?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-he ... 27629?mt=8
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com