iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 am

Only played one game so far. Got absolutely murdered around level eight.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

kidman-nicole
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:06 am

Re: Post your iPod Touch games here

Post by kidman-nicole » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:09 am

Image

I recently acquired an 8 gb iPod Touch from my sister. She got it free with a MacBook purchase and wasn't using it. After getting two new ones, because the firmware kept crashing iTunes and the so called Mac "Geniuses" are more eager to replace the product than listen to a solution I found from Apple's own website, I am now up and running

Anyway, the point of this post that I've heard about all sorts of games over the last few years that I shrugged off because I never had a iTouch. Now that I do I am completely lost in the sea of apps that is the iTunes store.

So in short, does anyone have any cool iPod Touch game recommendations?

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:41 am

Er, well there's a 146-page thread here, which is packed with game recommendations, so why not work back through it?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26789
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am

merman wrote:Jeff Minter's new game Five A Day is brilliant too - Time Pilot with added space vegetables...
Not seen that. What's the best way to automate getting Llamasoft updates for new releases?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 am

Just played Five a Day for my first time and scored 263,521. I've no idea whether or not that's a decent effort... largely because I didn't really know what I was doing! Plenty of charm and atmosphere in the game.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6442
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by merman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:09 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Just played Five a Day for my first time and scored 263,521. I've no idea whether or not that's a decent effort... largely because I didn't really know what I was doing! Plenty of charm and atmosphere in the game.
Do you use OpenFeint? There are in game leader boards. I'm currently on 360K
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm

merman wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Just played Five a Day for my first time and scored 263,521. I've no idea whether or not that's a decent effort... largely because I didn't really know what I was doing! Plenty of charm and atmosphere in the game.
Do you use OpenFeint? There are in game leader boards. I'm currently on 360K
Yep, I signed up to both OpenFeint and Game Center for this game. My query referred to whether my score was any good or not for a first ever go at the game which is why there was no point in me checking the online high score tables.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Rayne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Spent time with Mass Effect: Infiltrator today.

The games controls are absolute bollocks, even by iOS standards they're terrible! You seem to stick to cover, or point blank refuse to move. The combat is ill-thought out with a stupid style rating system and the story/characters are as bland and unlikeable as can be.

Disappointment
Image

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Post your iPod Touch games here

Post by Misery » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm

kidman-nicole wrote:Image

I recently acquired an 8 gb iPod Touch from my sister. She got it free with a MacBook purchase and wasn't using it. After getting two new ones, because the firmware kept crashing iTunes and the so called Mac "Geniuses" are more eager to replace the product than listen to a solution I found from Apple's own website, I am now up and running

Anyway, the point of this post that I've heard about all sorts of games over the last few years that I shrugged off because I never had a iTouch. Now that I do I am completely lost in the sea of apps that is the iTunes store.

So in short, does anyone have any cool iPod Touch game recommendations?
If you want some recommendations a bit easier than having to read the entire bazillion pages of this topic, why dont you let us know what types you might be looking for?

What genres, series, publishers, developers.... any preferences you might have, and some of us can probably give a few direct suggestions that might help out.


Also, I will suggest hitting up the Toucharcade site (www.toucharcade.com). Since the App Store itself is BLOODY HORRIBLE, it's hard to FIND stuff in there, or even HEAR about it. I use this site to find out about probably 95% of the games I play on here. Both it's main pages and it's forums are great for this.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11120
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 am

Max Payne is now out for the iPhone/iPad for £1.99. For that price I grabbed it and tried it on my iPad 2. Controls seem ok so far, if you didn't like the controls on GTA III then I guess you won't like these either but there seems to be loads of customisation options to tweak to get them the way you want it.
Otherwise it seems good. Frame rate isn't perfect on my iPad 2 (I was somewhat optimistically hoping for constant 60FPS) but its still very good. Auto aim is an option as manually aiming would not be anywhere near as easy as using a Keyboard + Mouse or pad and it perhaps works a little too well - I can bullet time into a room and effortlessly finish them all off. Still, very good for £1.99.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
StickHead
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by StickHead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Suckered in to another two sale items:

Infinity Blade 2: £4.99 -> £2.99
Another World: £2.99 -> £1.49
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

User avatar
WildWillyWilson
Posts: 2090
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne-UK.

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by WildWillyWilson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:43 am

ShadowMan wrote:Max Payne is now out for the iPhone/iPad for £1.99. For that price I grabbed it and tried it on my iPad 2. Controls seem ok so far, if you didn't like the controls on GTA III then I guess you won't like these either but there seems to be loads of customisation options to tweak to get them the way you want it.
Otherwise it seems good. Frame rate isn't perfect on my iPad 2 (I was somewhat optimistically hoping for constant 60FPS) but its still very good. Auto aim is an option as manually aiming would not be anywhere near as easy as using a Keyboard + Mouse or pad and it perhaps works a little too well - I can bullet time into a room and effortlessly finish them all off. Still, very good for £1.99.
I downloaded it yesterday as well, pleased overall. The controls took a little getting used to and I've flicked between "soft"/"hard" auto aim (agree with your point that it can make the game a little too easy). It looks great IMO, love the comic book style cut scenes that set the atmosphere/tone. Would have been nice for an autosave feature- got caught out a couple of times on this. Also shame that the game progress isn't saved/shared between both iPhone & iPad (Broken Sword 2 does a good job on this with dropbox). Still I'm chuffed it's out- I missed the game first time around but loved Max Payne 2 (which hopefully might get a future airing on iOs) and looking forward to the 3rd game.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11120
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:I downloaded it yesterday as well, pleased overall. The controls took a little getting used to and I've flicked between "soft"/"hard" auto aim (agree with your point that it can make the game a little too easy). It looks great IMO, love the comic book style cut scenes that set the atmosphere/tone. Would have been nice for an autosave feature- got caught out a couple of times on this. Also shame that the game progress isn't saved/shared between both iPhone & iPad (Broken Sword 2 does a good job on this with dropbox). Still I'm chuffed it's out- I missed the game first time around but loved Max Payne 2 (which hopefully might get a future airing on iOs) and looking forward to the 3rd game.
Which auto aim is better? And yeah, I think I've been spoiled by checkpoints and autosaves this gen as this game has none of that, you die and its back to the beginning for you! Atmosphere and story presentation wise though it is still bloody briliant, I love Max's monologues through the game, paints a grim picture of the city and its inhabitents. I'm hoping Rockstars writing will be up to par for number 3 in this regard.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
WildWillyWilson
Posts: 2090
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne-UK.

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by WildWillyWilson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:10 am

ShadowMan wrote:Which auto aim is better? And yeah, I think I've been spoiled by checkpoints and autosaves this gen as this game has none of that, you die and its back to the beginning for you! Atmosphere and story presentation wise though it is still bloody briliant, I love Max's monologues through the game, paints a grim picture of the city and its inhabitants. I'm hoping Rockstars writing will be up to par for number 3 in this regard.
Well I was using "soft" auto aim but couldn't really aim great then went to "hard" which tends to make the game too easy! Not really sure what I'd say is definitively the best mate! Are you far on? I'm around chapter 7/8 of the first part. Loving it! Games like this were why I loved my PS2.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11120
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:12 am

WildWillyWilson wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Which auto aim is better? And yeah, I think I've been spoiled by checkpoints and autosaves this gen as this game has none of that, you die and its back to the beginning for you! Atmosphere and story presentation wise though it is still bloody briliant, I love Max's monologues through the game, paints a grim picture of the city and its inhabitants. I'm hoping Rockstars writing will be up to par for number 3 in this regard.
Well I was using "soft" auto aim but couldn't really aim great then went to "hard" which tends to make the game too easy! Not really sure what I'd say is definitively the best mate! Are you far on? I'm around chapter 7/8 of the first part. Loving it! Games like this were why I loved my PS2.
Chapter 5 of part one so far. Would have been further but I died and lost my progress on that level! I'll have to play with the aiming settings to get them to my liking.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests