iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Well that answers that! I play DoDonPachi on MAME using my Xarcade stick and it is the first shooter I introduce friends to as I feel you at least have a fighting chance on that game.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:39 pm

This is why I've not yet purchased Bug Princess (the first one) on iOS. Judging by Cave's previous iOS releases they'll soon release an expanded version of the game as a separate title, i.e. owners of the current arcade mode-only release of the game wouldn't be able to 'upgrade' but would instead be 'forced' to buy the later release to access all content. I'm happy waiting as it's not as if I don't already have another eleventy billion excellent quality iOS games to be getting on with in the interim!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:44 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:This is why I've not yet purchased Bug Princess (the first one) on iOS. Judging by Cave's previous iOS releases they'll soon release an expanded version of the game as a separate title, i.e. owners of the current arcade mode-only release of the game wouldn't be able to 'upgrade' but would instead be 'forced' to buy the later release to access all content. I'm happy waiting as it's not as if I don't already have another eleventy billion excellent quality iOS games to be getting on with in the interim!

Actually, there's little point in waiting, unless the "HD" graphics are important to you, as that's likely to be the *only* change they make. They're not adding new modes with those versions. It's just an upgrade to the shiny factor.

None of the other HD versions have had additional modes beyond whatever the first version had.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Misery wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:This is why I've not yet purchased Bug Princess (the first one) on iOS. Judging by Cave's previous iOS releases they'll soon release an expanded version of the game as a separate title, i.e. owners of the current arcade mode-only release of the game wouldn't be able to 'upgrade' but would instead be 'forced' to buy the later release to access all content. I'm happy waiting as it's not as if I don't already have another eleventy billion excellent quality iOS games to be getting on with in the interim!

Actually, there's little point in waiting, unless the "HD" graphics are important to you, as that's likely to be the *only* change they make. They're not adding new modes with those versions. It's just an upgrade to the shiny factor.

None of the other HD versions have had additional modes beyond whatever the first version had.
Many thanks for relaying that information, Misery. Yep, I'd enjoy having a version with enhanced retina display visuals (I use an iPhone 4 for iOS gaming) but as Bug Princess is on special offer discount at the mo I'll now get it quick before the offer ends! Much appreciated. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Misery wrote:

Many thanks for relaying that information, Misery. Yep, I'd enjoy having a version with enhanced retina display visuals (I use an iPhone 4 for iOS gaming) but as Bug Princess is on special offer discount at the mo I'll now get it quick before the offer ends! Much appreciated. :D

Glad to help. The first Mushi is totally worth the price, even if the scoring system is bloody lame. ....and particularly worth the price when that price is like only 5 or so! Damn game cost me $90 when I bought the PS2 version originally.

and I dunno how some of you can use the little phones for these. I have to use the iPad. I try this game on my phone, I just die alot. Everything is all dinky and there's not as much space, so movements have to be even MORE precise....

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 am

Dont know if this has been mentioned yet but the original Max Payne is being ported to iOs (and android) and released April 12th as Max Payne Mobile- cant wait!! :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Yep already freeing up space for that one next week

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:30 pm

WildWillyWilson wrote:Dont know if this has been mentioned yet but the original Max Payne is being ported to iOs (and android) and released April 12th as Max Payne Mobile- cant wait!! :D
I have to wonder how that one will control on there.

Max Payne was pretty great, but..... alot of the greatness is diminished if they get the controls wrong. It could get frustrating fast.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

StickHead wrote:I say spend the extra and get the new iPad. You won't be disappointed with an iPad 2 (they are bloody great machines) until you see the new retina screen in action. Then you will always regret not spending the £70 extra.
I agree. Unless you genuinely cannot afford a new iPad, there's now no point in going for the iPad 2. Personally, I'd recommend a 32 GB, because apps are getting a wee bit bigger these days. On the new iPad, it's all down to the screen, as StickHead. It totally changes things when it comes to reading (websites, Instapaper, comics, etc.), and it's also beneficial when running iPhone apps/games (which now use 'Retina' assets and therefore don't look like utter crap).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:20 am

I've just tried out the new Gridrunner.

....OMIGOD THIS GAME IS BRILLIANT.

Everyone needs to buy this. Really. BUY IT.

That is all.

EDIT: I just realized how many modes this game has. 3 different versions of it in one! The Vic and C64 versions being the other 2. I like this. More content. Very nice.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 am

Grid Runner does seem rather good. Really odd and crazy on later levels but in a really cool way. My only slight complaint is that I feel the controls a bit "slippery" at times, like my ship is sliding around on ice but I'm getting used to it. Its just hard to keep track of everything that is going on onscreen. I'll have to give it a try on my iPad later.

I managed to complete Bug Princess 2 on its default mode/settings. Cleared the game without continueing which is a real achievement for me :lol: Tried the new mode that opens up and the additional difficulties and it practically feels like a new game. Much harder/faster but I'm still really liking it. Again, I'm surprised at how accurate the controls are for the game considering how much is happening on screen.

Regarding Max Payne. I'll wait and see how much it costs. If its like GTA III then I'll bite. I personally found GTAIII to work really well on my iPad so I'd be inclined to at least try MP if the price is right.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:53 am

Just played Gridrunner, I just keep sliding all over the place!

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:15 am

sscott wrote:Just played Gridrunner, I just keep sliding all over the place!

I havent had any issues with the controls myself. Though it doesnt control whatsoever like any other shmup.

Trick is not to move your finger overmuch at once.

Though, I'm playing this on the iPad with it's huge screen..... this is yet another game that I cant imagine doing on the phone or whatever.

It took me a little bit to get used to this type of control over what the usual method is, but I find it worked out pretty well overall.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:35 am

Oddly, I prefer Gridrunner on the iPhone. In terms of the controls, imagine it as a moveable analogue stick and you'll do better. Typically, small swipes are key, with large ones to speed away from danger. Don't make the mistake of controlling the game like a typical relative shooter on iOS, or you'll die a lot. Personally, I think it's the best shooter on the system—but only once it clicks.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:13 am

Jeff Minter's new game Five A Day is brilliant too - Time Pilot with added space vegetables...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube