iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joey

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Joey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:00 am

Sureshot wrote:Not a game, but you can now access live streams for games like Starcraft II, Halo etc from TwitchTV's new app:
Whilst it great that this app is free, it's a slightly less functional version of the Justin.TV app (Twitch.tv's partner and not a free app) which has been out for a while now. Also still no iPad version.

Also try UStream which is free and shows alot of streams from Japan.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:42 am

random_dave wrote:Streets of Rage 2 is free for a few hours today (was 24 hours from some point in the U.S. yesterday)

Actually played surprisingly well for an an iphone game with oscreen d-pad that i was playing blown up 2x on an ipad

Some of the sound effect sound quite wrong though, and the bass in the music distorts the speaker, but it's alright for free i guess
Just picked it up, thanks for the tip off!
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 am

Indeed, thanks for the heads up on that one :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:10 am

Be sure to also play the additional free game that's included within Streets of Rage II. :wink:

Tip: Change your iThing's language setting to Japanese and then load up the game.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 am

Resident Evil 4 is 69p at the moment. Seems pretty good!

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Back to the Future :)

All Telltale Games are £1.99 right now (Halloween Sale) so get it while it's hot!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:39 am

AAAAARGH! I'd not used my Mac for a couple of weeks and having just turned it on and loaded iTunes there's 164 app udates to download! :shock:

Next up: update my iPhone 4's firmware to iOS 5. Are there any notable apps that are incompatible or have glitches with iOS 5? If there are I'll maybe wait a while for them to be fixed before updating.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:03 am

Yeah i've been wondering that. I've got about 350-400 games on my ipod, some are quite 'old' or cheap/free so i'm sure the developer cant be bothered to update those ? Thats what i keep on thinking, i'm not going to update my ios yet as i want to make sure all my games work fine.

The 'big name' games have been updated for ios5 but i've just got so many others

A pain, the 'Elite collection' was meant to be out this weekend but theres been an issue so its been put back a few weeks, like the Speccy emulator its basically a collection of 8/16 bit classics which sounds pretty good and theyve announced some good games, just have to wait a bit longer.

Really been enjoying Modern Combat 3, expensive and takes up a lot of space, but the best call of duty shooter i've seen on my ipod.

Been playing Stardash a ton as well, that old skool Gameboy Mario Land clone, got past one super tricky level so i'm enjoying it again

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:18 am

Breakeroids - now on sale for 69p, this is a very cool Breakout clone mashed up with Asteroids. Pretty much ideal for Atari fans then! The simulated vector graphics "glow" beautifully imho and on iPhone 4's retina display look very nearly as cool as a Vectrex.

Wonton 51 - also reduced to 69p as of today, it's a charmingly retro shmup and avoid 'em up.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Just installed 'The Dead: Chapter One. Its free, seems a decent FPS...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=112134

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 pm

psj3809 wrote:Just installed 'The Dead: Chapter One. Its free, seems a decent FPS...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=112134
I just downloaded the game after your heads-up. It has nice graphics and the gameplay has some potential. If only they'd implement tilt controls to replace the clunky aiming/shooting command then it'd be a lot better, imho.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:47 pm

Details of GTA III coming to mobile devices: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/gra ... n-preview/

News regarding the possibility of GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas coming to mobile devices too: http://www.videogamer.com/iphone/gta3/n ... biles.html

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:06 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:I just downloaded the game after your heads-up. It has nice graphics and the gameplay has some potential. If only they'd implement tilt controls to replace the clunky aiming/shooting command then it'd be a lot better, imho.
Yeah the trailer suckered me in, it has potential but trying to aim is a nightmare, normally get on well with FPS games but struggling with this one, had a few goes and its quite fun though

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Muffin Knight (full version) is free at the moment.

BTW, my ipod touch is a 8gb 2nd Gen version I bought cheap off ebay.
I didn't get it for the purposes of gaming, but am now totally hooked.

Unfortunately some games (Sprinkle, Cordy etc) are not compatible.
Is there a way around this without buying a new ipod touch?