iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:07 am

Another great retro platform game...

Arcade Jumper

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=108723

Tons of nods to the retro years, nice game

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 am

psj3809 wrote:... Hypership - PLEASE check out this one, retro style graphics, just shooting tons of things, its excellent.
Cheers - I just bought the game on the strength of your recommendation and the fact it's a 2D shmup (a type of game I've long adored) and am loving playing it so far. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:48 am

Yep i still play that game a lot, a good nod towards the old days, dont need to have fancy graphics or that, its just a great little shoot em up.

One of the best things about iOS is the fact new games can appear daily but most big releases happen every week, its great. Dont have to wait ages and ages, every week theres a lot of very good new games. And mostly all 69p or so, amazing !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 am

psj3809 wrote:... Jaggy Race - only 69p, great little fun racer with some wacky tracks and simple gameplay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es-h5bx1ZqQ - well worth it, a lot of fun
Just bought this game too and, once again, thank you for the heads-up as it's great fun to play. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 pm

psj3809 wrote:... One of the best things about iOS is the fact new games can appear daily but most big releases happen every week, its great. Dont have to wait ages and ages, every week theres a lot of very good new games. And mostly all 69p or so, amazing !
Totally agree with you there.

I just checked my iTunes account and it's showing I've now downloaded a total of 938 apps and I'm guessing about 600-700 of those are games! I don't just download any old tat either, i.e. my point being that the bulk of those 600+ games are at the very least "pretty good", imho. It still staggers me just how great gaming on iOS is for a whole load of reasons.

I'm still tempted by what I've seen of PlayStation Vita but it's going to have to be pretty damn special in order to convince me to shell out that kind of money for it and its games when I've already got an iPhone 4 plus all the other handhelds listed in my sig.

I've just yesterday returned home from a holiday abroad for the past month and having so many cool games accessible on a device I carried with me everywhere anyway, a mobile phone, was just so convenient. Not just for the games already on my iPhone's memory but for the games I'd already purchased too, i.e. when abroad I fancied playing a couple of iOS games I'd bought months ago that I'd since removed from the device's memory so, as most bars had free Wi-Fi, I simply just re-downloaded them again from my account via the App Store. There's no way I'd have wanted the hassle of lugging a dedicated handheld gaming device around all day as squeezing something the size of PSP or DS Lite into my beach shorts' pockets would have been a pain but an iPhone is slim and portable enough to not be an annoyance.

Some may bang on about the limitations of gaming on smart phones but there's one hell of a lot that Apple (and others since) have got right. I'm not necessarily saying I won't be getting a PSV. My point is that in a world without smart phones buying one would have been a given for me. Now I have a smart phone the decision to also buy PSV is far from a given. That's the difference owning an iPhone has made for me.

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Trucks and Skulls (Angry Bird type game, but darker) is now Free:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/trucks-a ... 37569?mt=8

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:02 pm

World of Goo HD is currently 69p.

Glad I waited it out.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:02 am

Well been playing tons of Commander Pixman, totally stuck on one level though. Its a great game, just very simple graphics but great gameplay

I still wish someone would do an iOS remake of Grandstand games, or Firefox-F7, the one i used to have. Theres 'Pocketeer' remakes on the App store, tons of Game and Watch clones but would love a Grandstand type remake

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 am

I'm loving iOS gaming.
I've just bought Jetpack Joyride, which as most will know is pretty fantastic.
And I bought Flick Champions, which is a bit hit and miss (I can't get the hang of the bowling).

Playing these games takes me back to my childhood.
Easy games to play (except for some control issues) that I can just have a quick blast of.
No sitting through hours of FMV before you can play the game and no need to be an octopus to play the games.
And for 69p, it feels like going out to buy Mastertronic or Firebird games when I was kid and could not afford full price games.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Thrust type games, with Sub-Terrania on the MD being my favourite in the genre.
I've just noticed this game on the app store. I'm going to download it and report back for those who
like these types of games.

Gravspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXZjMBQnbP0
Last edited by Rockford on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Rockford wrote:BTW, I'm a big fan of Thurst type games
Like Root Beer Tapper?

[/pedantry]

But seriously, Oids is awesome, I would love an iOS version of that.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:39 am

Rockford wrote:I'm loving iOS gaming.
I've just bought Jetpack Joyride, which as most will know is pretty fantastic.
And I bought Flick Champions, which is a bit hit and miss (I can't get the hang of the bowling).

Playing these games takes me back to my childhood.
Easy games to play (except for some control issues) that I can just have a quick blast of.
No sitting through hours of FMV before you can play the game and no need to be an octopus to play the games.
And for 69p, it feels like going out to buy Mastertronic or Firebird games when I was kid and could not afford full price games.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Thurst type games, with Sub-Terrania on the MD being my favourite in the genre.
I've just noticed this game on the app store. I'm going to download it and report back for those who
like these types of games.

Gravspace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXZjMBQnbP0
Totally agree with your points, so many great games. Cant believe these kids though who whinge about some game when its 69p

There is a new Thrust game which just came out (Have to find the name), looks alright. Like you i'm after an excellent Thrust game, I really like 'Blimp', check that one out, plays in a similar way to thrust with left/right/thrust etc, some very nice graphics as well. Worth looking at.

Rogue Sky is another 'Thrust-ish' style game which came out recently

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:27 pm

There is a free version of Muffin Knight to try out at the moment.
It is a rather hefty 87mb though.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:30 am

Weird, for some reason, apparently before iOS 5 a lot of companies released games the last few days not just Weds 12am

Bought this morning…

Warm Gun (okay yesterday but theres been a big update which cures the issues it has)
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=109733

Super Crossfire HD
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=109974

Great vector style shoot em up and pressing a button makes you shoot from the other side so its great switching

Theme Park Pinball
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=98942

I love my retro looking pinball games

Forever Drive
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=108769

Think I mentioned this one before, great looking graphics, basic-ish gameplay but its free but with lots of IAP’s of course

Should be more games announced at 11am
Rockford wrote:There is a free version of Muffin Knight to try out at the moment.
It is a rather hefty 87mb though.
87 meg hefty ? Thats nothing ! Thats good compared to some of the 700 meg games you get ! Must admit i started off with an ipod touch 32 gig, filled that up instantly so sold that to my sister and went for a 64 gig. Of course i filled that up so its a case of uninstalling a few and juggling ones around!

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:47 am

forgot to come in here but picked up Tiger Woods 12.... For free, still available at the moment for that I think. Good game if you like gold, touch screen works great (exactly same as analogue stick use on current gen consoles). Really loving it and like the originals once you know course layouts improving a lot.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Be wary of updating your iThing's firmware to iOS 5 at the mo... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15288003