iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am

the_hawk wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Mos Speedrun
I've seen you mention this one a few times & to my shame I've not yet downloaded it. An omission that shall be rectified this evening.
Mos is excellent. I really enjoyed League of Evil, but Mos is a better game, like a time-attack Mario. It's fantastic on the iPad, but still great on the iPod, and the unlock mechanism works really nicely, rewarding speed-runs but also exploration. For £1.49, it's a total bargain. iTunes link, for anyone who's interested.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:41 am

psj3809 wrote:My latest favourites....

Cordy - LOVE this platform game, bit like Sonic, great graphics
Thanks for the heads-up on Cordy, psj3809. The graphics are beautiful and the controls, including the physics, are spot on. A superb platformer. :D

Now I've played the brilliant Groove Coaster some more I'd now like to add DJ Hero to my previous list of games I see it as having taken inspiration from.

iOS just keeps on giving. I swear gaming on iOS is the most fun gaming experience I've enjoyed since the days of Dreamcast. And to think prior to buying my iPhone 4 late last year I was one of those who commonly dismissed iOS platforms as being massively inferior to gaming on traditional/dedicated handhelds! As you've since said, there's so much about it that reminds one of the '80s in a good way. iOS FTW!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 pm

This is my main resource for iPad downloads, almost every recommendation is good! :D

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:54 pm

psj3809 wrote:My latest favourites....

Hedgehog Adventure - Nice scrolling platformer, has more puzzles than simply kill all the baddies, very addictive, been playing this a lot
I just purchased this game too largely thanks to your recommendation. It's a blinding little game for that meagre 69p asking price. Cheers! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 are on sale at the min for 0.69 and 1.99 respectively.

This is both the iPhone and iPad version :D

yasw

Post by yasw » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 am

Just got got Doom Classic which is on sale at the moment. I am surprised how well the controls actually work. FPS games are hard to get right on iOS devices.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:16 am

Yep its right down in price, isnt RAGE much cheaper now as well ? I do like Rage, its an on rails shooter but still very good, just a huge file size (think about 1.2 gig) so a few times i've had to deinstall it due to its size.

Shame the Duke Nukem controls arent great but i do like 'trying' to play that and having it on my ipod. But Doom works far better now and i think theyve done the same to the Wolfenstein controls as my game was recently updated

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:51 am

Has anyone played CM 1980s legends yet?

I've got Football Manager 2011, but to be honest I don't really play it that often. I think I'd have had more fun with it on an ipad, the small screen & fiddly menu doesn't really go well. Although supposedly not as good a game, I reckon the CM legends would be some nice nostalgia fuelled fun.

I haven't actually bought a game since the price "re-aligning" but I may go on a splurge this evening.

I tried the demo of that Mos Speedrun this morning & I'll be picking up the full price version for definite!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 pm

yasw wrote:Just got got Doom Classic which is on sale at the moment. I am surprised how well the controls actually work. FPS games are hard to get right on iOS devices.
Didn't that game get slaughtered for its supposedly poor controls in the review in the RG mag'? Perhaps an update has been released since then to fix the controls?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Just bought Supercow for 69p. Great looking platformer, give it a try as it's free. In app purchase of 69p to unlock it. Well worth it, specially as you can turn the tilt controls off and use touch buttons

yasw

Post by yasw » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:42 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
yasw wrote:Just got got Doom Classic which is on sale at the moment. I am surprised how well the controls actually work. FPS games are hard to get right on iOS devices.
Didn't that game get slaughtered for its supposedly poor controls in the review in the RG mag'? Perhaps an update has been released since then to fix the controls?
Don't know. Maybe that was for Duke Nukem 3D? Because the controls are complete trash in that port.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:48 pm

QuBit's good fun

retrogamer1981

Post by retrogamer1981 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 am

Don't know if it has already been mentioned but retro gamers would like "Quiz Game Land" by Undercoders. It's a quiz game about retro gaming Mario Party style.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:52 pm

League of Evil is free at the minute, I've grabbed it but yet to play it. Looks nice though, something about chunky pixels floats my boat. :D
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:12 am

Finally got Zen Bound 2 (£3). I like it, i especially like the music. Ideally there would be someone to massage my shoulders as I played it! Playing it on the Mac Book, I'm ure it'd be pretty nice to play on a touch screen. The missus has an iphone but she won't pay the £3 for it!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."