iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 am

I've only just started playing it and so far theres nothing about having to buy 'money' etc.

Most games i've played (Order & Chaos and a few others), youre never forced to buy anything else. Yeah in Order and Chaos you could buy runestones, items for real money but you dont have to. Just a short cut to get them instead of wading through levels.

So far (and in the 9mm thread on Touch Arcade) i havent heard anyone moaning about real money etc.

I'm only a few checkpoints into the first level, love looking at the graphics, need to have a proper go tonight. But impressed with it, yeah its a few quid but i know i'll get a lot of gaming from this.

Reckless Getaway is another i'm enjoying, Spy Hunter/APB/virtual runner type of game. Imagine GTA where you basically want to get as many stars as possible so the police are after you, a simple version of that.

Like i mentioned before Xtreme Wheels i'm also enjoying. Was a good night for iOS releases last night

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. :D

Yep, Xtreme Wheels sure looks good so I'll probably be getting that soon.

The excellent Gears is currently on offer for only 59p and the fun DrawRace is currently free.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:43 am

I just bought Xtreme Wheels and played the first few stages. Very impressive graphics and a well designed and easy to use control system. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:48 am

Just downloaded Magnetic Billiards which I'm really looking forward to.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 am

Bought a good game over the weekend.

Bean's Quest. Has some great retro style graphics, bit like Mario Land. Basically youre a jumping bean, so you constantly jump and you use left/right controls. Could say its a 'bit' like Wizball perhaps ?

Anyway its well worth the few quid, been playing it a lot, great graphics, some nice levels as well. Normally i prefer left/right/jump but this game does play very well

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:54 am

This thread on Touch Arcade is excellent, lots of free games, bought a fair few of these in the past, a lot of good ones here...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=99986

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:16 am

Quite surprised to see RG's review of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. I've only played through a couple of cups, but 75% seems awfully harsh, especially in a mag that tends to rate leniently. It's not MarioKart good, but it's pretty close.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 am

By the way Meganoid is free today, nice retro platform type of game

Yeah i thought that game would have scored higher. I do like it, wish there was a left/right button instead of tilt or that weird slider control.

Just downloaded Alien Space Retro, liked the original but much prefer the retro/vector look of this one.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:13 am

I think tilt's fine when it's well-calibrated and natural, like it is here. With buttons, you'd have a problem, in that drifting would be supremely difficult, unless you also offered two drift buttons. You'd also lack analogue steering. I'm currently checking out the game for Tap!, and it's odd to think that, for once, I'll be scoring something higher than Retro Gamer.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 am

Interested to know your views on 1 Bit Ninja.

Followed that through development for a long time, i cant stand runner games , i know this one isnt as you have a right button but I personally sorely missed a left button which i think would have made the game far better. Some levels later on you can see why its just one direction (as you can hit a bumper which reverses your direction) but I still missed it.

Love the look of the game, the ability to move the level and look for secret passages is clever. But i really do miss that Back button !

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 am

I'm unsure on that one. I can see why the decisions were made and I'm unsure whether it would have been better as a 'standard' platform game (left/right/jump). As it is, I find it a bit too hard and fiddly, and it's no MOS Speedrun (say), but it is doing something different.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:50 am

Wish there were some save points as quite a few times i've got quite far, died and then i've had to start from the beginning. Would love the option of a back button to be turned on/off though but again fair play to the developer for sticking to his guns. Over on Touch Arcade it was a controversial subject with a fair few wanting a back button, the rest not. I do love the graphics and the style which is brilliant, but your character is pretty small and on the ipod touch at times its a bit sore on the eyes !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:15 am

psj3809 wrote:By the way Meganoid is free today, nice retro platform type of game
I downloaded Meganoid earlier today and have quite enjoyed playing it so far. There may be better games of its type on iOS but it's still a cool little retro platformer all the same.

One little thing that's impressed me is the option to increase/decrease the space between the placing of the left/right on-screen buttons. A simple but very welcome option to make controls that little bit easier for those of us with chunky fingers! It'd be great if all iOS games with on-screen buttons featured such a facility.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm

For anyone into astronomy, Star Walk is absolutely phenomenal!

yasw

Post by yasw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am

An old Amiga classic, Emerald Mine, has been ported to the iPad. It is pretty good and free!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/emerald-mine/id448002032#