iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Rayne » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

A few more recommendations from myself :)

Wolf Boy

Price: 66p
Genre: Beat em Up

Wolf Boy is a basic side scrolling beat em up with a twist. As you beat up the colourful cast of enemies the clouds shrouding the moon will dissapear, after kicking enough ass you'll be able to transform into (ready for a big surprise?) a werewolf! Which naturally powers you up, yatta yatta. The controls are basic and easy to get to grips with, what really puts Wolf Boy above others are it's fantastic art style, upgrade system and really cheap price. Well worth it imo.

Robot Unicorn Attack

Price: £1.79
Genre: Deathchase?

Robot Unicorn Attack is one of the most bizzare game I've had the pleasure to play. You'll run from left to right, jumping from legdges and dashing through obstacles to the backtrack of Erasure. 3 attempts to get as far as you can, you won't believe how addictive it is. It's one of those games you need to play to appriciate, the price might seem a bit high but it's really worth it.

Aqua Moto Racing 2

Price: £2.99
Genre: Racer

AMR2 is as close to Waverace 64 as you'll ever get on the iPod. The water physics are just brilliant, the waves will accurately alter your direction, jumps & performance. The championship mode is robust with plently to get stuck into, there's online leaderboards, achievements and a great selection of courses. Well worth a download if you're a Wave Race fan

loxley108

Post by loxley108 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Wolfboy is great. Thanks!

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:44 am

Flight Control-clone Dock' Em! on 360 - good game that says "I need to be on touch/swipe screen".

Original Fight Control on Touch - "Arrgh! fingers too big can't see what's under them!" :(

Mostly been playing Dragon's Lair (seems quite variable as too how quick you need to respond - some scenes allow for sloth-like reflexes, others require those of a Chinese tabletennis player who's been juiced up his coach), Bejewelled 2 and Drop 7. Wouldn't have thought that making a Tetris-style game effectively turn-based would work at all well but amazingly it does. Left the Touch at home today rather than have it in the desk draw at home tempting me to drag out for "just one or two drops".

Coop

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:58 am

Well, Tetris always bordered on being a puzzle game, and that's exactly what Drop7 is. While not as good, Tetari is in the same space—non-time-dependant puzzle-piece placement.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 am

I've just remembered that I bought Helsing's Fire last week & still haven't played it. :oops:

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 am

Probably nothing new here to most folks here but these are what I've been playing on the Touch:

Wild West Guns - Shooting gallery game, mentioned above.

Westbang - Bank Panic clone, very simple, very compulsive, also mentioned above.

Fighting Fantasy : Citadel of Chaos - Fighting Fantasy book ported to iOS with hand-tinted original artwork, brilliant mechanic of shaking the machine to shake the dice (with sound effects). Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Deathtrap Dungeon also available, although reviews suggest the latter crashes a lot.

Frotz - Port of popular Z-machine emulator, a little bit cramped with virtual keyboard. (On iPod Touch, iPad probably better). Free with a bunch of free games.

Super 7 - Draw lines between floating numbered spheres, they score points and vanish when they total 7, don't let balls with values totalling 8 or more touch. Reminds me of an ST game with large floating balls connected by lines, the name of which I infuriatingly can't remember at the mo. Flight control is frustrating me with it's tiny planes and tiny runways, this is sort of similar (imagine that runway moving to the plane as the plane moves to it) but I find it less fiddly. 59p IIRC.

MiniSquadron - Sopwith clone, lovely SNES-like pastel graphics. Struggling with the tiny virtual d-pad though.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:16 am

Regarding Super 7, I think you were remembering E-Motion.

iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:22 am

Yeah that's the one. They are actually nothing like each other, it's just that Super 7 reminds me of E-Motion in the same way that Bejewelled 2's ambience (music, backdrop graphics) reminds me of The Dig!

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:30 am

Chicks - It is today's Free-App-a-day. Complete Lemmings rip-off but as I ain't paying I ain't complaining!

And yesterday's was casual fav Luxor

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 am

Thanks for the heads-up for those two. Going to grab them now.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 am

Top 20 for me are:
1. Mr Driller - A bit fiddly but once you get going its insanely addictive and beautiful
2. Backbreaker - American football action, but no games, just a tackling guantlet with wave after wave
3. Street Fighter IV - Beautiful game, simplified controls, just a blast to play.
4. Hit N Run - The best i can describe is Outrun crossed with Tetris, great racing and puzzlin.
5. Tomena Sanner - hilarious japanese references, one of those one tap running games.
6. Poker Superstars III - poker game with skip button which means you can make or break in mere seconds
7. Hungry Shark - Ecco the dolphin like underwater adventure with lots of gore.
8. Silent Scope - Controls not to everyones liking , but its still one of my early favourites
9. Zombieville - Side scrolling shooter with nice gore and cute graphics.
10. Pool Ninja- Its not pretty but its novel, score fastest times for potting balls.
11. Traffic Rush - Great game, spent many hours on it trying to beat my high score.
12. Zombie shock - Great art style, decent gameplay.
13. Truckers Delight Ep 1. - Old 16 bit graphics with outrun esque gameplay.
14. Super Streaker Insane amount of gore, go on a nudie run with murderous rampaging weapons.
15. Action hero Tap to avoid obstacles, beautifully addictive
16. The Simpsons Arcade Love it, closest thing to the old arcade machine.
17. Chuck Norris Cute Scrolling shooter
18. Earthworm Jim Great port , great controls classic Jim.
19. Plants Vs Zombies No comment
20. Cluedo clever game, classic cluedo in new form.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Gravity Jump - nice early 8 bit look and very hard - but addictive once you get into it. Perfect for short score busting sessions on the train.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:44 pm

I just downloaded gravity hook which is by the guys who did canabalt. You basically use an extending hook arm to latch onto things and see how high you can get. It's cool :)

Also spirit hd which is like one of those old school paint games where you draw around an enemy to kill them. Graphics are gorgeous - kind of like flow on ps3.

I bought them on iPad but they work on iPhone too :) bonus

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

imaxeroker85 wrote:4. Hit N Run - The best i can describe is Outrun crossed with Tetris, great racing and puzzlin
Good shout - a cool (but slower) 3Dish version of this:
Bub&Bob wrote:Can I also suggest Kamikaze Race - Essentially Vic20 Race, in reverse, but with better graphics!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Cat Physics - its free. It's addictive and it is bloody brilliant!

OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/