iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch game recommendations

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:55 am

Downloaded the lite version and went back for the full version a few hours later - great game.

eastcoasteric

Post by eastcoasteric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:51 am

Some games I just picked up for the touch

- DOMINATION
- Angry Birds
- Final Fantasy 1
- Doom (controls are meh, but it's been updated slightly in visuals)
- Cogs (this game is fantastic, minus the fact you pay for extra levels...Ihope this doesn't bring a trend to ipod/iphone games)
- 5.0 Police Scanner (this thing is free and REALLY works and you can listen to old Johnny Law all over the world from the USA to Alaska and all the way to Japan)
- Godfinger (another free game that is tottalllly worth the price, FREE!)
- Mental Age (a fun little app that gives some basic trivia based on your age and tell's you your mental age with a decent description on what it means to your physical age)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 am

I'm going to go slightly against the topic title and state a few warnings rather than recommendations:

Noby Noby Boy

This is nothing like the zany PS3 game that came out a while ago. It's completely 2D and really feels like a lame tech demo. The screen is too cramped to really stretch and manipulate Boy to the insane degrees that you could on the PS3 version. More than anything it suffers from a complete lack of depth/in-game goals. It's good for a fiddle...for 2 minutes, but that's not worth the asking price.

Ridge Racer Accelerated

I'll be totally honest and say I was sold on this because of the really cute idol girl in the pictures. Unfortunately when the app downloaded I was left with a racing game that suffers from quite epic slowdown, innacurate controls, spazzed out drifting mechanics and a really in-your face in-game purchase system. There's waaaay better racers out there.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 am

Pardon my complete naivety but if I buy an iPod Touch is just a question of letting the thing find my wireless router and then following idiot-level instructions?

I gather that this hand-held console of cheap games also plays music but I'm not particularly interested in using it for that. :)

loxley108

Post by loxley108 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:04 am

Yep - its really easy to connect up to you wifi.

Thanks also to everyone for putting recs and ones to avoid on this list - its really helpful. Theres so much stuff out there its great to have some info on it. I'm quite new but will try posting as much as possible.

All the best

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 am

Coopdevil wrote:Pardon my complete naivety but if I buy an iPod Touch is just a question of letting the thing find my wireless router and then following idiot-level instructions?

I gather that this hand-held console of cheap games also plays music but I'm not particularly interested in using it for that. :)
All you need is a Wireless Internet access point mate :) from there you can create an account and spend spend spend.

Of course if you have a computer/laptop with internet access you can download iTunes and create an account. From there you can buy apps from your PC and sync them to your iPod :)

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:20 am

Cool. Don't want to install iTunes on my main PC but happily have a knackered old laptop with Vista on that will do for that purpose. Right then, iPod Touch reserved at Argos, The Good Revs list of 50 top free games bookmarked (I find that anything the Rev likes I generally do too).

Coop

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 am

Nice one, if you happen accross any fantastic games then be sure to recommend them :wink:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am

Coopdevil wrote:Cool. Don't want to install iTunes on my main PC but happily have a knackered old laptop with Vista on that will do for that purpose.
Good move, there. I would strongly recommend you sync your device every so often, because if it keels over you can then restore from a back-up. Purchasing stuff's also usually faster/simpler on a PC/Mac, unless you're grabbing very wee games.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Has anyone bought Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night? The reviews that I've read (IGN, Kotaku, Pocket Gamer) seem very positive, but I don't normally spend more than 99p on iPod Touch games (& already have way too many unplayed games) so I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Rayne wrote:
Ridge Racer Accelerated

I'll be totally honest and say I was sold on this because of the really cute idol girl in the pictures. Unfortunately when the app downloaded I was left with a racing game that suffers from quite epic slowdown, innacurate controls, spazzed out drifting mechanics and a really in-your face in-game purchase system. There's waaaay better racers out there.
have you got the recent update? In the options with the update you can have digital controls on screen (2 arrows, one left one right) and it makes control so much easier - pick an average drift car and it plays pretty awesome. I too thought it sucked until they fixed the controls. The only downside now is a lack of any 'game' - you just race individual races with no career mode which is a shame

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Morkin wrote:Has anyone bought Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night? The reviews that I've read (IGN, Kotaku, Pocket Gamer) seem very positive, but I don't normally spend more than 99p on iPod Touch games (& already have way too many unplayed games) so I'd be grateful for any opinions.
I've also been tempted to get it but IGN pointed out the awkward cluttered controls, that's put me off for now...

@Mootown I did try the digital controls which are fairly okay. I really can't get a handle on the drifting mechanic though

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 am

I picked up an 8GB from Argos last night, suspect it's a 2nd gen one rather than 3rd but that's fine as only really dipping my toe in the water. Not impressed with the battery life, although I suspect that nearly 2 hours solid wifi downloading didn't help!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:58 am

Coopdevil wrote:I picked up an 8GB from Argos last night, suspect it's a 2nd gen one rather than 3rd but that's fine as only really dipping my toe in the water. Not impressed with the battery life, although I suspect that nearly 2 hours solid wifi downloading didn't help!
I've found the screen brightness is the real killer, if you have that high the battery life just seeps away really quickly

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 am

Turn off push notifications, auto email updates and Bluetooth as well, to stretch the battery life. Generally, you should get a good few hours of solid games playing out of an iPod touch, although battery life varies wildly depending on the games. (Oddly, it's not always the high-tech ones that eat into battery life either.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com